First came the Maui wildfires. Now come the land grabs: ‘Who owns the land is key to Lahaina’s futur (Read 872 times)

aletheuo137

ren

I suspect that certain parts of our State government are doing a disservice to those residents and landowners by delaying rebuilding. Remember Iniki? Did it take that long to rebuild? I don't recall controversies over landfills, contaminated soils etc.
Deeds Not Words

oldfart

I suspect that certain parts of our State government are doing a disservice to those residents and landowners by delaying rebuilding. Remember Iniki? Did it take that long to rebuild? I don't recall controversies over landfills, contaminated soils etc.
30 years ago when Iniki hit, we didn't have quite as many ambulance-chasing lawyers.
What, Me Worry?

Flapp_Jackson

30 years ago when Iniki hit, we didn't have quite as many ambulance-chasing lawyers.

Property values in Kauai 30 years ago are not comparable to the land values on Maui today -- in particular Lahaina.  Especially when you consider many properties on Maui are not being put on the market which has been keeping investors at bey.

Want to see greed in action?  Watch siblings after their parents die.  Suddenly, each sibling is in more desperate need of the estate's wealth than all the others -- at least that's one of the ways they rationalize fighting over the money their parents left behind.  Many families don't survive the conflict that ensues after lawyers have to get involved.

This situation is very similar.  People have dollar signs in their eyes, and that overrides all other concerns,

Money, or the opportunity to grab some, can expose a person's true colors.
"How can you diagnose someone with an obsessive-compulsive disorder
and then act as though I had some choice about barging in?"
-- Melvin Udall

macsak

i don't understand what Beyonce' has to do with lahaina...

Property values in Kauai 30 years ago are not comparable to the land values on Maui today -- in particular Lahaina.  Especially when you consider many properties on Maui are not being put on the market which has been keeping investors at bey.

Want to see greed in action?  Watch siblings after their parents die.  Suddenly, each sibling is in more desperate need of the estate's wealth than all the others -- at least that's one of the ways they rationalize fighting over the money their parents left behind.  Many families don't survive the conflict that ensues after lawyers have to get involved.

This situation is very similar.  People have dollar signs in their eyes, and that overrides all other concerns,

aletheuo137

Sent from my moto g power (2021) using Tapatalk

Flapp_Jackson

-- Melvin Udall

Flapp_Jackson

i don't understand what Beyonce' has to do with lahaina...

Thanks for playing...

:stopjack:
-- Melvin Udall

hvybarrels

Even Governor Greed was drooling over that land less than a week after

“Wars happen when the government tells you who the enemy is. Revolutions happen when you figure it out for yourselves.”

groveler

Most the displaced people are renters.
Let them all go to Las Vegas where they can live the "good life"
This "Aina "  BS wears very thin on a critically thinking man.
Rich guys are going to swoop in and make money.
Your Democrat government will facilitate that.
 >:D

Q

Total cost of 'Iniki was ~$3.1 billion; that's ~$6.8 billion today.

The most recent estimate is that the total damage to Lāhainā is ~$5.6 billion in today's money.

Even if they inflated the cost to $10 billion, that doesn't explain the lack of response or monetary aid from both the federal and state governments; especially when considering they are doing everything they can to shift blame away from themselves and the perceived responsible parties; i.e. HECO.

All the while, Ukraine received 17x that amount (30x with the actual estimate) in "aid" while kanaka maoli, generational locals and other residents are essentially being motivated to sell what they can and leave; even worse for those who lost everything but didn't own a home or land.

"$5.5B needed to rebuild from Lahaina fire". UH News, 2023

Costliest U.S. Tropical Cyclones Tables Update, 2018

aletheuo137

https://www.nanhawaii.com/news-and-events/alexander-baldwin-sells-grace-pacific/

An Oahu-based construction company has bought the Puunene Mill on Maui.

The new owner, Nan Chul Shin, purchased approximately 300 acres from Alexander & Baldwin in Central Maui last Thursday.

Shin also owns Nan Incorporated. The company specializes in large-scale construction and design projects — including the work to relocate utilities for rail.

Nan Inc.’s vice president said they are looking at several potential options for the Central Maui property, which consists of industrial, commercial, agricultural, and residential-zoned lands.

“I visualize this as a great restaurant, bar, coffee shop where people can sit in chairs inside all this equipment,” Sewell said. “A fantastic arts district, spaces for artists, a museum, a gallery.”

Sent from my moto g power (2021) using Tapatalk

astroboy

Traci reports on one man's escape from the fire and the shameful treatment by government workers after the fire.

Who says civil servants have to be civil? This kind of attitude is common place these days.

groveler

Traci reports on one man's escape from the fire and the shameful treatment by government workers after the fire.

Who says civil servants have to be civil? This kind of attitude is common place these days.

I agree with you about the civil servant issue, then again, anybody who has read my comments,
knows how much I despise Government employee unions.  I'm not against private civilian unions,
I spent most my working life as a union member, I just know their union leadership are all crooks.

The guy strikes me as a old school progressive Democrat, but  I did catch one thing that I agree
with him on,  FEMA,  and quite possibly State and Local governments want to replace what was there with
"15 minute communities".  The latest progressive plan to control the population.
I got the impression he didn't like the idea  of living in a camp no matter how convenient that appears to be.
 :popcorn:

astroboy

I recently explained the 15 minute city/community concept to my democrat in-laws.
They were pretty disgusted with the idea that government would have so much power
over your day to day life.
I don't know if this changed their minds but we keep on trying to educate those around us.

hvybarrels

I recently explained the 15 minute city/community concept to my democrat in-laws.
They were pretty disgusted with the idea that government would have so much power
over your day to day life.
I don't know if this changed their minds but we keep on trying to educate those around us.

It works. That's why the left requires censorship. Their ideology falls apart with the free exchange of ideas.
“Wars happen when the government tells you who the enemy is. Revolutions happen when you figure it out for yourselves.”

ren

Deeds Not Words

hvybarrels

I don't like people being told what to do with their property, but there's also a concerted effort to kick off all the poor people and turn this state into the ultimate globalist gated community

Flapp_Jackson

its war on short term rentals because its their fault...
https://www.kitv.com/news/lahaina/maui-residents-rally-with-lawmakers-to-support-housing-bill/article_27595812-01f5-11ef-9cc1-abbd5cab90b5.html

Am I reading this right?  The displaced residents with destroyed homes want to remain in their community, but there are no homes on the market (low supply due to the fire).

So, the government wants to force other property owners to stop using them for short-term rentals, and somehow that makes everything good for all the displaced residents?

What if someone with a rental property decides to move into it and not sell?  Or they sell to an investor who plans to flip the place for a higher profit?  Or they sell to a family that was NOT displaced by the fire?  And how many of those rentals are in the communities in which the displaced residents want to live?

Has there been a survey done to find out if the rental owners would even decide to sell if the law is enacted? 

Seems like the government is more interested in forcing people to abandon their destroyed properties, and this bill is designed to give them a place to go without leaving Maui.

Forcing short-term rental owners to give up their properties makes it easier for the first group to abandon their own properties, leaving that land for the government to scoop up.  I imagine the properties are quite a bit cheaper now without buildings on them.

Is that the basic situation, or am I missing the big picture?
-- Melvin Udall