ok, guys, time to get moving on this range cleanup day- i am writing an email to (Read 46294 times)

Aiea78

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Grab em by the handles
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
Heavies - I have small gen, will travel :D   EU2000 so don't know if it will power your welder but will bring it.  Have little p/u truck to help carry stuff too and at the ready to provide labor, weed whack, haul garbage out, whatever needs to be done.

Let's do this!
Assault Rifle? What I have here is an Anti-Assault Rifle.
Proud Member 2016 2a Day Dozen open holster carry crew yo

hnl.flyboy

exactly
i need ideas
and then we need people to make it happen
let's work on the date and the plan

i just need to know what our resources/capabilities are

Okay, so Mike said he needs metal target stands welded and installed.  We have a volunteer or two already.

Volunteers to paint would be nice as well.  It would be nice to make the range look somewhat new instead of run down.

Think we can find some fertilizer for any brown areas downrange?  I thought the grass looked BEAUTIFUL the day the Mayor spoke, instead of the ugly dry brown I was used to seeing!

As for the rest of the brush, I think we should make that low priority as it grows back fast anyway.  Daniel and other HRA volunteers knock down brush between the rifle/silhouette side and the action bays to help with parking during the Shooting Sports Fair, and it seems that in just a week or two, it's all back up again.
LEX MALLA, LEX NULLA

FPC, SAF Life, HDF Life, GOA, HRA, Fun Factory VIP

edster48

The dates are important, I got a few vacation days I can use but I'll need to give notice, weekends aren't a problem.
I'm pretty sure I can get an airless spray rig for painting and a gas pressure washer. If we can come up with a material list, maybe  plumbing valves and fixtures and electrical supplies. I'll check on gennys.
Always be yourself.
Unless you can be a pirate.
Then always be a pirate.

macsak

The dates are important, I got a few vacation days I can use but I'll need to give notice, weekends aren't a problem.
I'm pretty sure I can get an airless spray rig for painting and a gas pressure washer. If we can come up with a material list, maybe  plumbing valves and fixtures and electrical supplies. I'll check on gennys.

awesome, edster
you are da man

macsak

Heavies - I have small gen, will travel :D   EU2000 so don't know if it will power your welder but will bring it.  Have little p/u truck to help carry stuff too and at the ready to provide labor, weed whack, haul garbage out, whatever needs to be done.

Let's do this!

much mahalos, '78

macsak

Okay, so Mike said he needs metal target stands welded and installed.  We have a volunteer or two already.

Volunteers to paint would be nice as well.  It would be nice to make the range look somewhat new instead of run down.

Think we can find some fertilizer for any brown areas downrange?  I thought the grass looked BEAUTIFUL the day the Mayor spoke, instead of the ugly dry brown I was used to seeing!

As for the rest of the brush, I think we should make that low priority as it grows back fast anyway.  Daniel and other HRA volunteers knock down brush between the rifle/silhouette side and the action bays to help with parking during the Shooting Sports Fair, and it seems that in just a week or two, it's all back up again.

ok, thanks for the input about the brush
we could pick up litter, though

down range is going to be the part where they are adding the dirt to the berm

we need to look at areas where the city cannot take care of at this time

i am going to ask the mayor at the town hall if he is committed to improving and maintaining the range and perhaps easing the burden by making range space available across the island

Jl808

Hi macsak,

Since there is a lot to do, how about breaking the tasks up on multiple days? 

For each day, assign one or two main points of contact and identify what is the task needed done on that day.

Barring any personal or work conflicts, I would be willing to come out for each day there is work to do at the range.

I'll ask a couple friends in the airlines tomorrow to see of they have any seats they don't use anymore and would like to give away to a good cause.

Too bad we don't have an organization like a "Friends of the Koko Head Shooting Range" or something. Perhaps, we should plan to form one up.
I think, therefore I am armed.
NRA Life Patron member, HRA Life member, HiFiCo Life Member, HDF member

The United States Constitution © 1791. All Rights Reserved.

Aiea78

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Grab em by the handles
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
Jl808 - like a gofundme.com campaign?
Assault Rifle? What I have here is an Anti-Assault Rifle.
Proud Member 2016 2a Day Dozen open holster carry crew yo

Jl808

Like a "Friends of Malae Kahana" or some formal community based organization that has non-profit standing whose main purpose is the upkeep and development of the range.

Jl808

Take a look at something called a "community development corp".

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Community_development_corporation

Tomorrow, I will ask an expert on CDCs to see I this is something appropriate for the KHSC. 

macsak

Hi macsak,

Since there is a lot to do, how about breaking the tasks up on multiple days? 

For each day, assign one or two main points of contact and identify what is the task needed done on that day.

Barring any personal or work conflicts, I would be willing to come out for each day there is work to do at the range.

I'll ask a couple friends in the airlines tomorrow to see of they have any seats they don't use anymore and would like to give away to a good cause.

Too bad we don't have an organization like a "Friends of the Koko Head Shooting Range" or something. Perhaps, we should plan to form one up.

great suggestion, jl
what day are you volunteering to organize?
::)

i will keep that concept in mind, maybe thursday the 26th and sunday the 29th?
it would be nice to do it on a monday, like the 30th
because the pistol range would be closed and we could go downrange on the rifle side and work on the pistol side
too bad that tuesday the 24th and 31st would be out due to the eves

Jl808

I'll volunteer for something... Assign me up for anything. I'll even clean the bathroom if needed.

Perhaps you should be the main point of contact to coordinate the tasks / dates to make things easier.

Just thinking out loud...

First, compile a list of task so people can sign up depending on interest or expertise.

After that, identify key people that can do those tasks and work out the dates / times that will work for them.

Finally, post the tasks and finalized dates / times  so he rest of the volunteers know when to show up.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2013, 09:35:46 PM by Jl808 »

macsak

I'll volunteer for something... Assign me up for anything. I'll even clean the bathroom if needed.

Perhaps you should be the main point of contact to coordinate the tasks / dates to make things easier.

Just thinking out loud...

First, compile a list of task so people can sign up depending on interest or expertise.

After that, identify key people that can do those tasks and work out the dates / times that will work for them.

Finally, post the tasks and finalized dates / times  so he rest of the volunteers know when to show up.

thanks for the input, jl
currently writing the first draft of the letter
i will post it before bedtime for comment

I will Donate 15 cases of Bottled Water and Labor.

Need to find something my kids can do?

macsak

I will Donate 15 cases of Bottled Water and Labor.

Need to find something my kids can do?

wow
nice

kids can sweep, pick up litter, paint curbs, chase chickens/cats, look cute

WCMTWS

I may or may not be able to get out there depending on date but hats off to everyone that does, and for mac for all the updates going on over the past week. If the first person falls though I can design flyers and send someone the files to get it printed up and handed out.

dirtylickins

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • I carry a gun... Cause carrying a cop is too heavy
  • Referrals: 2
    • View Profile
 :wave: I'm on board and ready to volunteer my service. Let me know how I can help.

macsak

I may or may not be able to get out there depending on date but hats off to everyone that does, and for mac for all the updates going on over the past week. If the first person falls though I can design flyers and send someone the files to get it printed up and handed out.

mahalo wcm
i may put you in touch with the other publicity guy
more people = less work

macsak

:wave: I'm on board and ready to volunteer my service. Let me know how I can help.

help?
if i'm in charge, you're in charge

macsak

first draft-
please make comments

aloha ms robinson and mr muramoto
my name is steve kumasaka, and i am the guy wearing khaki that asked if the gun community could volunteer to help clean up the range
since the mayor said to make it happen, i think we should try
please excuse my lack of punctuation and capitalization, but that's how i write and think clearly
i am member of, but do not represent, www.2aHawaii.com (an online forum in support of the second amendment) and the hawaii defense foundation (www.thehdf.org)
i have the support of the over 2000 members of 2aHI, and nearly 1000 members of HDF (although the memberships likely overlap a lot)
i will also be enlisting the aid of other gun clubs/groups/organizations via email, social media, etc
we also plan to post notices at the range and local gun shops
i plan to make this a community effort, with not one group or another taking charge or credit, but all of us as citizens chipping in to make khsc better

what we need to decide first is what needs to be done and when it can happen
i know we talked about sometime during the holidays, since the rifle range will be closed until at least the end of the year
this will also allow us more lead time for organization and planning
the period between christmas and new year's is downtime for some industries, most notably the shipyard (we have welder members that work at the shipyard)
we have other members that will be available during this period too
some members have said that, given lead time, that they would get time off to help out
dec 24/25 and dec 31/jan 1 are obviously out for family purposes
the HDF has action bay 1 reserved dec 28th, so that wouldn't be good since our core volunteers are involved in the range days
my best days are sunday december 29th and thursday december 26th
but another great day would be monday december 30, since the pistol range would be closed and we could go downrange
i started a discussion thread a few hours ago to get the conversation started
https://2ahawaii.com/index.php?topic=12444.0
i know mr muramoto wanted stands welded
we got the commitment of one guy standing next to him on saturday, and i have the commitment of several more
one of the main concerns of the 2aHI crew are the bathrooms
we would like to try and powerwash and paint and then check the doors, locks, electrical, and plumbing
the same would go for the rifle and pistol range buildings, along with any cleanup of offices and storage rooms that mr muramoto wants done
another suggestion was refurbishment/replacement of the benches that we sit on while waiting to shoot
we would also like to pick up litter, do general yard maintenance and perhaps paint lines, curbs, etc in the parking lot

i need to say that i am willing to coordinate manpower ONLY
i have someone that has said they will help me with spreading the word
i personally do not have the time to obtain donations of supplies/materials/equipment
my volunteers can provide some of this and we are trying to coordinate donations individually, but we would need to have the supplies/materials/equipment mainly provided by the city
in addition, we would need use of electricity (generators?) and water, plus a place to get rid of the rubbish
but if we can get paint and brushes, i think we can get a lot painted

we would also like to know what the range staff and parks department would like to get done
the only way that this will happen successfully is if we work together
we look forward to your responses
i know you have a lot going on with the range repairs, but your prompt attention would be appreciated

aloha

steve