How to conduct private firearm sale (Read 4006 times)

yurcarmeean

How to conduct private firearm sale
« on: May 15, 2018, 09:04:27 AM »
I am wanting to sell a long gun but have never conducted a private firearm sell.  I am sure you fine forum members would be able to guide me. 

From what I gather:
1. most folks meet at HPD to conduct the transfer, but I would feel uncomfortable uncasing and transferring the firearm "on the sidewalk", is it ok to faciliate the transfer inside the regsistration office at HPD?
2. most folks use a "bill of sale", which states who is the former owner and new owner and both parties sign, anyone have a template I may use?
3. new owner must have current permit to purchase, would I, the seller, be responsible for verifying that the permit to purchase is valid?
4. would I, the seller, need a valid permit to sell my firearm?
5. while we're at it, is the process the same for handgun/pistol?  does the 2 week waiting period apply? Do i need a valid permit to sell a pistol?

Mahalo folks  :shaka:
If you stay ready, you don't have to get ready.

changemyoil66

Re: How to conduct private firearm sale
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2018, 09:34:03 AM »
1) You and the seller go to the window at the same time and uncase there, don't do it in the waiting area.
2) IDK about rifles, but for pistol, HPD made me sign the back of the permit that had a transfer area.
3) You are responsible to sell it to a "qualified" buyer.  Which would mean, they have a valid permit.  See #1, HPD can verify when at window.
4) You don't need a permit to sell, only to buy
5) See response #2.  I added my wife to my pistol reg (Joint) and had to sign the back of the permit.  She had to 1st apply for pistol permit, then we came back 2 weeks later with the pistol.

stangzilla

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2018, 09:58:18 AM »
i use this as a bill of sale/firearm information

http://honolulupd.org/downloads/firearminformation_HPD084R05_13.pdf

drck1000

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2018, 10:26:21 AM »
So. . . what are ya selling?   ;D

I've only sold one long gun and it was to a good friend.  So inspection wasn't a big deal.  I've heard it is common to meet at HPD or meet at Koko Head.  Probably ok to meet at a LGS, but not sure if they would appreciate you doing your own business at their shop.  I think many won't care, but I probably wouldn't. 

One key consideration for selling handgun to someone is that you would need to keep possession of the handgun until the permit clears.  I've heard many do some sort of deposit, but some ask for payment in full upfront, which can be a bit sketch if you don't know the seller. 

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2018, 10:48:06 AM »

I've only sold one long gun and it was to a good friend.  So inspection wasn't a big deal.  I've heard it is common to meet at HPD or meet at Koko Head.  Probably ok to meet at a LGS, but not sure if they would appreciate you doing your own business at their shop.  I think many won't care, but I probably wouldn't. 

One key consideration for selling handgun to someone is that you would need to keep possession of the handgun until the permit clears.  I've heard many do some sort of deposit, but some ask for payment in full upfront, which can be a bit sketch if you don't know the seller.

For pistols, you should get a signed bill of sale to use for filling out the permit application. That protects you from the seller screwing you by selling it to someone else in the meantime. The seller is protected by hanging onto the pistol until the permit is picked up and cash exchanges hands.

Meeting at a gun shop isn't a good idea. Unless you get permission first, they won't look kindly on you doing business on their premises. Technically, they could ask for their commission like they get on consignment sales for using their shop.
"How can you diagnose someone with an obsessive-compulsive disorder
and then act as though I had some choice about barging in?"
-- Melvin Udall

aieahound

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2018, 12:41:01 PM »
Long gun It's super easy if you do it at HPD.
Open case at window.
Buyer hands you cash.
Buyer presents long gun and his valid permit to officers at window.
They register it under his name.
Maybe enroll him in rapback.
All pau.

Bill of sale is to good to have for your own records though and i would recommend it.

Handgun more hassle as need to give buyer firearm info first and wait the 2 weeks and you need sign the buyers permit.
(Barrel length, make and model, caliber, serial number)
If owned jointly both owners/sellers need to sign the pistol permit.

19pontiac79

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2018, 07:01:02 PM »
For the pistols i sold all i did was make a copy of my reg and black out my social security #. Gave it to the buyer and told them thats all the info you need to apply for the permit. Call me when you get it done. And we meet up at hpd 2 weeks later to sign the transfer paper work.

Wade :thumbsup:
"if can. Can. If no can. No can" - Uncles 😆
"Why? The ring no block the hole." - Uncle's 😘
"You can throw a rock any distance and you will hit a double standard. = LIFE" 🤷🏽‍♂️

yurcarmeean

« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2018, 08:30:47 AM »
Thanks folks.

What about selling through a LGS / consignment?  can anyone elaborate on that process?  What is the LGS's take? Etc.   Thanks!

changemyoil66

« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2018, 08:42:39 AM »
Thanks folks.

What about selling through a LGS / consignment?  can anyone elaborate on that process?  What is the LGS's take? Etc.   Thanks!

You have to call, each LGS has different rates.  But because they're a gun store, you do not have to meet the representative at HPD like a private party.  A gun store follows the "places to keep" law.

2ahavvaii

« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2018, 12:40:02 PM »
if its a long gun and they have permit, you can meet at the police station or whereever else you want that's private.

if it's a handgun and they have permit, you can meet at the police station or whereever else you want that's private.  IMO for handguns, its easier to just apply for and receive the permit before seeing the gun unless you truly need to see/inspect/get a feel for the gun before deciding.

main thing is to make sure they have a permit before turning over the firearm if youre doing it anywhere other than the police station at the counter.  It's also easier for the buyer if the seller has his hawaii registration cause the cops can look it up in the computer faster.
---------------
Flap -  bill of sale is a good idea.  Never done it that way though.  I'm kind of a "deal is a deal kinda person" and if the other party isn't, that's their choice.

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2018, 02:28:19 PM »
if its a long gun and they have permit, you can meet at the police station or whereever else you want that's private.

if it's a handgun and they have permit, you can meet at the police station or whereever else you want that's private.  IMO for handguns, its easier to just apply for and receive the permit before seeing the gun unless you truly need to see/inspect/get a feel for the gun before deciding.

main thing is to make sure they have a permit before turning over the firearm if youre doing it anywhere other than the police station at the counter.  It's also easier for the buyer if the seller has his hawaii registration cause the cops can look it up in the computer faster.
---------------
Flap -  bill of sale is a good idea.  Never done it that way though.  I'm kind of a "deal is a deal kinda person" and if the other party isn't, that's their choice.

Bill of sale not only helps you as the seller keep a record of where your registered firearms went ("I dunno. Some guy named Kimo answered my ad"), it also helps the buyer. There's a record of the specs for his permit/registration application, and the serial number if it's stolen.  Sometimes HPD makes typos, so don't expect the registration they give you to be 100% correct.  They have my Mosin-Nagant 91/30 rifle listed on the registration as a semi-auto. 
"How can you diagnose someone with an obsessive-compulsive disorder
and then act as though I had some choice about barging in?"
-- Melvin Udall

2ahavvaii

« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2018, 09:48:53 AM »
Bill of sale not only helps you as the seller keep a record of where your registered firearms went ("I dunno. Some guy named Kimo answered my ad"), it also helps the buyer. There's a record of the specs for his permit/registration application, and the serial number if it's stolen.  Sometimes HPD makes typos, so don't expect the registration they give you to be 100% correct.  They have my Mosin-Nagant 91/30 rifle listed on the registration as a semi-auto.

oh yeah, i usually have a bill of sale thing done, but when the transfer is done, not before.   :D  I have a preprinted form and everything

yurcarmeean

« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2018, 09:06:39 AM »

thanks for all the responses, its been very helpful

I was thinking of letting go of a couple items to make space for new toys:  a 1st generation keltec sub-2000  9mm  that takes smith and wesson 5906 mags, and a cimarron  side by side hammered coach shotgun 12ga. 

RSN172

« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2018, 03:08:50 PM »
When I was in high school in the 1960s, I sold five rifles to different guys at school.  At age 17 I swapped my 270 Winchester with the police sargent for his 30-30.  No permits, no registration and no repercussions.  No one did stupid things back then.