What do you want to see in a gun shop? (Read 6791 times)

Kingkeoni

What do you want to see in a gun shop?
« on: September 04, 2011, 07:25:11 PM »
OGC has opened a pretty nice gun shop.

Soon they will have a range (hopefully soon)

And they have great prices on guns and ammo.

But what would you like to see in a perfect gun shop?

What would make it the best gun shop ever?
Your number one Option for Personal Security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation.

Someday someone may kill you with your own gun, but they should have to beat you to death with it because it is empty.

Kingkeoni

Re: What do you want to see in a gun shop?
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2011, 07:26:17 PM »
I, personally, would love to see a gun shop open till 8pm.

With a range open till 8pm, 7 days a week.
Your number one Option for Personal Security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation.

Someday someone may kill you with your own gun, but they should have to beat you to death with it because it is empty.

antoinebugleboy

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2011, 07:38:18 PM »
Lowest prices, and customer-oriented service, basically all the things you'd want with any retail establishment.

Later hours (Sundays!) would be great.

Coffee/books, somewhere to hang out and talk to other gun people. I like to browse, learn, and just spend time at the gun store.

Workshops on how to do basic things like clean your gun, basic repair, add accessories, etc.

There ain't no such thing as a free lunch. - Heinlein

I swear by my life, and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine. - Rand

What can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without evidence. - Hitchens

808shooter

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2011, 09:04:44 PM »
range with demo guns would be it for me.  I'd pay for the ammo and cleaning fees no prob :thumbsup:

BananaClip

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2011, 10:10:50 PM »
All 3 of you took the words right outta my mouth... Demo guns, later hours, Sunday's etc.... A/C in the waiting room would be "COOL" at OGC...Then my kids can kick back there if they don't wanna go to daddy's "CANDY STORE" through the next door... ;D I know it would cost a lot for electricity but this is sort of a fantasy... OGC has filled 95% of that fantasy... :thumbsup:
"In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth"- Genesis1:1 KJV

"The Truth Shall Set You Free"

"Once Blind But Now i See"

2aHawaii

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sheepdog
  • Referrals: 17
    • View Profile
    • 2aHawaii
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2011, 03:27:15 AM »
I'm with you on the long and late hours. Just go in after work and blow off a few magazines. That's the way to unwind from a long day at work.
I am not a lawyer.

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." - United States Constitution Amendment 2 & Hawaii State Constitution Article 1 Section 17

Buying from Amazon? Click through here

Heavies

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2011, 04:29:29 AM »
I, personally, would love to see a gun shop open till 8pm.

+2   

Also, I wish they would work to allow reloads.  Even though the prices of ammo there is reasonable, I just would not be able to afford to shoot as much as I would like.  Also, as a reloader, my target loads afford less recoil, less wear on my guns, and greater accuracy.  I do not feed my gun cheapo store ammo.  Most times I see jams and damaged guns, people are using very cheap steel cased gun food.  And to clear a stuck steel case can also seriously damage your gun.

I would still buy ammo  from them, such as SD/HD loads, to test at realistic SD distances, but the bulk of the practice I would use my reloads.  This, and I was also informed that they would NOT be allowing a one day at a time option.  You must buy a yearly pass and purchase ammo from them.  This puts me off immensely.  I will not be able to afford this, and I would not be able to shoot there often enough to make a yearly membership feasible.

Funtimes

« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2011, 06:24:37 AM »
I am pretty sure there was going to be a monthly option. 35 bucks I believe ?
Check out the Hawaii Defense Foundation.
HDF on Facebook
Defender of the Accused in Arkansas Courts
Posts are not legal advice & are my own, unless said so.

ren

« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2011, 12:28:55 PM »
Suppressors.
A restaurant, bar with an indoor range/wind tunnel out to at least 100 yards that can handle 50 BMG.
Add some strippers, NRA lingerie wearing cocktail servers.
A real gunsmith with a full CNC shop.
A reloading demonstration bench and a workshop like how Home Depot does their home DIY workshops. 
Celebrity shoots like Grace Park shooting some cool, new guns and an autograph session.
Deeds Not Words

Tom_G

« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2011, 01:59:15 PM »
A reloading demonstration bench and a workshop like how Home Depot does their home DIY workshops. 

WGS already does this.  Plus, they'll let you use their press and dies to reload your ammo.
The difference between theory and reality is that, in theory, there is no difference between theory and reality.

Pit808

« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2011, 05:05:40 PM »

I'm with you, but could you imagine all the "negligent discharges" lol! ;)
chitty chitty bang bang.......

Cougar8045

« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2011, 05:18:31 PM »

I'm with you, but could you imagine all the "negligent discharges" lol! ;)
ba-ZING!  :rofl:
I'm just a fluffy white bunny rabbit who lost his way. 

"If a thief be found breaking in, and be smitten that he die, there shall no blood be shed for him. ..."  -Exodus 22:2

Tom_G

« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2011, 09:52:07 PM »
Actually, of everything and anything that's been listed, or is likely to be listed, the idea of trying out a gun before I buy it is numbers 1-10 of my top 10 list.  I tip my hat to Kaneohe GS for taking new guns out to the range for LIFE classes and HRA funshoots for exactly that reason.  And I assume that OCG will rent firearms once the range opens, which will also qualify for a hat-tipping. 

I also drive motorcycles.  Due to insurance reasons, dealerships no longer let you take test drives, but expect you to plop down THOUSANDS of $$$ based on a "sitting in the showroom" experience.  The same thing bugs me about gun sales.  Granted, I don't buy high $$$ guns, but a large part of the reason I don't is that I am not willing to spend that kind of money on something I've only fondled but never been to second base with.  Let me shoot the M1A, and maybe, just maybe, you will convince me it is worth $1200.  Otherwise, forget it. 

And, just for reference, the most I have ever spent on a firearm is $800 for a used Beretta O/U shotgun.  It's the only gun I;ve ever shot a perfect score at Trap with, but I STILL, some 6 years later, feel guilty about the price.
The difference between theory and reality is that, in theory, there is no difference between theory and reality.

Colt808

« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2011, 02:07:26 AM »

What? I thought you said perfect gun shop?

If you're gonna dream, dream BIG!

How about a 24/7 range that's franchised. One in every neighborhood (or close by). Think 7-11 convenience.
Reason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it. ~Thomas Paine

And I still see stupid people.

Funtimes

« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2011, 02:23:39 AM »
And I assume that OCG will rent firearms once the range opens, which will also qualify for a hat-tipping. 

This would qualify him as a shooting gallery I am almost sure, which is something he would want to avoid; as such, that probably won't happen. (Carter please correct me if I am wrong, would love to be!).
HDF on Facebook

2aHawaii

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sheepdog
  • Referrals: 17
    • View Profile
    • 2aHawaii
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2011, 03:29:28 AM »
I think Carter said he would loan out guns as a part of the membership which I guess is different than renting them out.
I am not a lawyer.

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." - United States Constitution Amendment 2 & Hawaii State Constitution Article 1 Section 17

Buying from Amazon? Click through here

Funtimes

« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2011, 03:41:38 AM »
I'd bet that there is some difference between loan and rent as well.
HDF on Facebook

Old Guy

« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2011, 08:25:43 AM »
One of these days, I will have to go there and check it out.

Course, he opens up 2 years After we oved out of the area.

Used to live on the 1700 block, one street makai.

Could walk over every day and get lots of Practice.....

Now, I'm in Kailua......