Revolver show and tell (Read 217401 times)

stangzilla

Re: Revolver show and tell
« Reply #520 on: November 04, 2019, 04:24:16 PM »
I have a 627 with 5” barrel. My target load for this pistol is 125gr Montana Gold Bullet HP over 5.0gr Titegroup in a .357 Starline case and a CCI SPP. Not hot, but Titegroup burns too fast for magnum loads. I think it is in the .38+P range. Another member here took this load and worked it up using HP-38 in his 5” 627. I prefer to use .357 brass even for low power loads to lessen the jump. I also load this same bullet with H110 and it is a BLAST!!! Fireball time and still quite accurate. I also use Starline cases with CCI magnum SPP. Sorry, I can’t remember the charge I use with the H110. Everything is packed up now. But I’m sure you will find plenty of good info to try some loads.

My 627 is not my favorite revolver but it is right up there. I would some day like to pick up an older model 19 and an older 27.

I was trying to find a lighter load to shoot in my 627.  factory loads are kind of painful out of this gun, although its an N frame.  my GP100 3" barrel is much more comfortable to shoot.  its probably the grip that makes it more comfortable bc it is lighter that the 627, or at least feels that way to me.
when I do load up some H110 in 357, i'll probably test it in my 6" barrel GP100.  that's my most comfortable shooting 357, maybe my most accurate 357.
the trigger in the 627 is better than the GP100, but the GP trigger isn't bad.
maybe i'll do a side by side comparison of the 2 revolvers in the future

Inspector

« Reply #521 on: November 04, 2019, 04:50:18 PM »
I was trying to find a lighter load to shoot in my 627.  factory loads are kind of painful out of this gun, although its an N frame.  my GP100 3" barrel is much more comfortable to shoot.  its probably the grip that makes it more comfortable bc it is lighter that the 627, or at least feels that way to me.
when I do load up some H110 in 357, i'll probably test it in my 6" barrel GP100.  that's my most comfortable shooting 357, maybe my most accurate 357.
the trigger in the 627 is better than the GP100, but the GP trigger isn't bad.
I worked up the target load using 125gr bullets as a lighter load to shoot. I can shoot 2-300 in a session without pain. However, I really want to try some old fashioned target loads using 148gr wadcutters with hollow base. Something around 700-750 fps should work well for accuracy and be very light shooting. I will try Titegroup but I think Unique is a better fit here. But we’ll see.

For me there is a lot more to being comfortable than having a good trigger. I always tell the story that I lost all my guns in my last divorce. I bought a cheap new fangled plastic gun called a Glock back in 1992. As you know Glocks have terrible triggers. I practiced with the gun week after week for years. I shoot that gun better than my Sig hands down which has a much better trigger. The Glock feels comfy in my hand because I am used to it and put a lot of hours behind it. I have 2 Ruger revolvers. I love them both. I have several S&W’s and I love them too. My fav revolver (1895 Nagant revolver) has a terrible trigger and shoots 2’ high at 25 yards. The trigger on it is so heavy Macsak couldn’t pull it in double action mode. That thing shoots like a champ. You will shoot the revolver that is most comfy for you much better than the one with a better trigger. Work up a great load in the Ruger that feels the best for you and shoot the hell out of it. You can’t break nor wear out a Ruger. And you will be happy.  :D :D  :D
SCIENCE THAT CAN’T BE QUESTIONED IS PROPAGANDA!!!

macsak

« Reply #522 on: November 04, 2019, 04:55:44 PM »
The trigger on it is so heavy Macsak couldn’t pull it in double action mode.

heads

drck1000

« Reply #523 on: November 05, 2019, 08:40:11 AM »
I'm in for that comparison!   :thumbsup:

maybe i'll try some H110 357 reloads next.   :geekdanc:
Hadouken!

heads
Truth hurts?   :P  ;D

:rofl:

You can’t break nor wear out a Ruger. And you will be happy.  :D :D  :D
Hope you didn't just jinx Stang. . . I also have a Ruger revolver.  If that thing breaks, I will certainly  :( (where's the "crying like a baby emoji"?)

Inspector

« Reply #524 on: November 05, 2019, 09:30:10 AM »
Hope you didn't just jinx Stang. . . I also have a Ruger revolver.  If that thing breaks, I will certainly  :( (where's the "crying like a baby emoji"?)
Ruger honors their warranty. I have personal experience.

drck1000

« Reply #525 on: November 05, 2019, 09:46:56 AM »
Ruger honors their warranty. I have personal experience.
'spector broke it. . .  :(

Nah, I'm sure if one shoots enough they come across stuff that breaks, even in quality stuff.  I've had my share of stuff that broke from the "tried and true" manufacturers. 

When are you gonna be packing up your wheel guns for transport? 

Inspector

« Reply #526 on: November 05, 2019, 09:52:52 AM »
'spector broke it. . .  :(

Nah, I'm sure if one shoots enough they come across stuff that breaks, even in quality stuff.  I've had my share of stuff that broke from the "tried and true" manufacturers. 

When are you gonna be packing up your wheel guns for transport?
It was actually a semi auto handgun not a wheel gun. Bought it used. It didn't feed properly. Sent it back and they fixed it.  :rofl:

Nothing is perfect and nothing is indestructible. But Ruger wheel guns come close.

All (but one) is already wrapped. But I found out the hard way I have to unwrap them for the movers to determine they are unloaded. Dumb!!!  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

dogman

« Reply #527 on: November 05, 2019, 08:53:27 PM »
I have a 627 with 5” barrel. My target load for this pistol is 125gr Montana Gold Bullet HP over 5.0gr Titegroup in a .357 Starline case and a CCI SPP. Not hot, but Titegroup burns too fast for magnum loads. I think it is in the .38+P range. Another member here took this load and worked it up using HP-38 in his 5” 627. I prefer to use .357 brass even for low power loads to lessen the jump. I also load this same bullet with H110 and it is a BLAST!!! Fireball time and still quite accurate. I also use Starline cases with CCI magnum SPP. Sorry, I can’t remember the charge I use with the H110. Everything is packed up now. But I’m sure you will find plenty of good info to try some loads.

My 627 is not my favorite revolver but it is right up there. I would some day like to pick up an older model 19 and an older 27.
I also use .357 Starline cases with 125gr MGHP, CCI SPP, and HP-38 for 7 to 15 yard fun stuff mostly out of a 4" barreled model 28. I only recently realized the 8.5 grains of HP-38 I stuff into the .357 cases is the same amount of powder I use for 210 grain plated . 41 "magnum" and 200 grain plated .44 "magnum" loads.

Inspector

« Reply #528 on: November 06, 2019, 04:36:11 AM »
I also use .357 Starline cases with 125gr MGHP, CCI SPP, and HP-38 for 7 to 15 yard fun stuff mostly out of a 4" barreled model 28. I only recently realized the 8.5 grains of HP-38 I stuff into the .357 cases is the same amount of powder I use for 210 grain plated . 41 "magnum" and 200 grain plated .44 "magnum" loads.
WOW! Great minds reload alike!  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

After I move I’ll have to pick up a pound of HP-38 and start testing. MGBs shoot very well out most of my handguns so I tend to stick with them. It’s hard to beat the combination of price, quality and accuracy.

stangzilla

« Reply #529 on: November 06, 2019, 01:02:31 PM »
classic SA revolver movie.    51:30 is the slapping scene  :geekdanc:

« Last Edit: November 06, 2019, 01:39:50 PM by stangzilla »

macsak

« Reply #530 on: November 06, 2019, 02:11:57 PM »
classic SA revolver movie.    51:30 is the slapping scene  :geekdanc:

that's an awesome movie
"who's faster?"
"Nobody"

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #531 on: November 16, 2019, 12:03:20 PM »
Colt Python ....  :geekdanc:

My 4" version from 1978.

"How can you diagnose someone with an obsessive-compulsive disorder
and then act as though I had some choice about barging in?"
-- Melvin Udall

stangzilla

« Reply #532 on: November 16, 2019, 12:35:43 PM »
Colt Python ....  :geekdanc:

My 4" version from 1978.

Looks in great condition

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #533 on: November 16, 2019, 01:08:01 PM »
Looks in great condition

Hickok's "unfired" Python has a very distinct turn line on the cylinder.

I don't think mine has any at all unless you look with a magnifying glass.

I'd put mine as 99+% new condition. There's one tiny, faint scratch on the finish -- left side just below the cylinder release.  Possibly happened when ejecting the brass.

I was told this Python was purchased new in 1978, fired half a box of .38 rounds for "practice", then stored, never to be fired again.

"How can you diagnose someone with an obsessive-compulsive disorder
and then act as though I had some choice about barging in?"
-- Melvin Udall

Louscamaro91

« Reply #534 on: November 18, 2019, 06:42:35 AM »
My newest gems

stangzilla

« Reply #535 on: November 18, 2019, 07:27:18 AM »
shot the rest of the H110 44magnum reloads that I had reloaded a few weeks ago.  now I can reload more.   :geekdanc:
interesting thing is the felt recoil from the 4 inch 586 with Remington cheapo 357 magnum 125 grain JSP is significantly more than with the 7.5 inch SBH Hunter with H110 240 grain Hornady XTP 44 magnum
it's got to be the Ruger.   ;)
its probably the 7.5 inch barrel, front heavy, Bisley grip, and just a bigger gun, absorbing the recoil, and the 586 grip is narrow, i'll try with the fatter target grip next.  shooting the H110 out of the SBH Hunter really isn't that bad.  I wouldn't try it out of my 3" barrel Vaquero with birdshead grip, that would be painful.
the Remington 125 grain JSP has some recoil.  idk what the velocity is, but from my hand chrono it feels pretty darn fast!  muzzle flash is pretty big too.

drck1000

« Reply #536 on: November 18, 2019, 07:45:31 AM »
Awesome stuff Stang! That’s some muzzle flash!

Are you primarily dialing in the 44 mag? Or also the .357 mag? I only have one 44 mag. And being a 7.5” barrel with heavy frame, it’s very pleasant to shoot. 

stangzilla

« Reply #537 on: November 18, 2019, 07:53:14 AM »
I was mostly dialing in the 44mag reloads with the SBH Hunter and H110.  I might try it in the Redhawk next, 5.5  inch barrel
I brought the 357 bc I had some light reloads to shoot and brought the Remington 125grain bc I had half a box left and I just wanted to finish it off.  I have plenty more of the Remington bc I bought 500 rounds from OGC a while back when it was on sale
I'll probably try the H110 with the 357 next. 

Heavies

« Reply #538 on: November 19, 2019, 07:19:37 PM »
shot the rest of the H110 44magnum reloads that I had reloaded a few weeks ago.  now I can reload more.   :geekdanc:
interesting thing is the felt recoil from the 4 inch 586 with Remington cheapo 357 magnum 125 grain JSP is significantly more than with the 7.5 inch SBH Hunter with H110 240 grain Hornady XTP 44 magnum
it's got to be the Ruger.   ;)
its probably the 7.5 inch barrel, front heavy, Bisley grip, and just a bigger gun, absorbing the recoil, and the 586 grip is narrow, i'll try with the fatter target grip next.  shooting the H110 out of the SBH Hunter really isn't that bad.  I wouldn't try it out of my 3" barrel Vaquero with birdshead grip, that would be painful.
the Remington 125 grain JSP has some recoil.  idk what the velocity is, but from my hand chrono it feels pretty darn fast!  muzzle flash is pretty big too.

Might have to bring a fire extinguisher with you if the range is dry.... :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:    Awesome!!   :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

esk808

« Reply #539 on: November 20, 2019, 03:50:53 PM »
My newest gems

Hey Lou !   Real nice additions for your collection................. :geekdanc: