Used car oil (Read 5459 times)

zippz

Used car oil
« on: July 27, 2019, 02:12:08 PM »
What do I do with used car oil.  I used to get the oil disposal boxes, the cardboard box with a plastic bag filled with shredded newspaper.   I don't see those sold anymore.  What do you guys use or turn it in?
Join the Hawaii Firearms Coalition at www.hifico.org.  Hawaii's new non-profit gun rights organization focused on lobbying and grassroots activism.

Hawaii Shooting Calendar - https://calendar.google.com/calendar/embed?src=practicalmarksman.com_btllod1boifgpp8dcjnbnruhso%40group.calendar.google.com&ctz=Pacific/Honolulu

Mdotweber

Re: Used car oil
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2019, 02:50:52 PM »
I believe the orieley's salt lake location is a satellite oil recycling point. (808) 485-0414 call them first.
Unfortunately most auto shops will no longer accept used oil from outside due to possible contamination and liability.
"Dont forget, incoming fire has the right of way"-Clint Smith?

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2019, 06:25:33 PM »
If you or someone you know pours your own concrete forms, you can coat the inside of wooden forms with the oil to make it easier to separate from the concrete.

As for disposal, that's one of the main reasons I stopped doing my own oil changes.  I'll pay Flagship to avoid the headaches of trying to do the disposal.

When you figure the time, mess, having to buy oil, filters, pan, filter wrench, disposable rags, ramps if needed, disposal boxes or whatever other disposal containers if required, etc, paying to have it done for you is worth it.
"How can you diagnose someone with an obsessive-compulsive disorder
and then act as though I had some choice about barging in?"
-- Melvin Udall

Lihikai

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2019, 06:40:01 PM »
Check opala.org on how to dispose - 'Used Oil Motor oil, cutting oil or fuel oil can be disposed of with your regular household rubbish. Use an oil change box or pour into a plastic bag with an absorbent material and seal the bag.'

ren

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2019, 07:12:30 PM »
I thought I saw those oil disposal boxes on sale at Walmart and Oreillys a few mos ago as I changed my oil (man changes his own oil).
I don't trust those oil change places like Flagship, Jiffy etc. I heard of some stories.
Bosch or Toyota filter through Amazon is about $6 + change box $3 + Synth Oil (4 gallons @ $3, PX) $12 = $21.
I buy a bag of rags from Savers for $6.
And I do it on my time. No need to wait.
or if can't find oil change box, get a micro cut shredder and shred away.
Deeds Not Words

eyeeatingfish

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2019, 09:48:21 PM »
What do I do with used car oil.  I used to get the oil disposal boxes, the cardboard box with a plastic bag filled with shredded newspaper.   I don't see those sold anymore.  What do you guys use or turn it in?

They still have those. Bought one a few months ago.

macsak

« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2019, 10:17:11 PM »
I thought I saw those oil disposal boxes on sale at Walmart and Oreillys a few mos ago as I changed my oil (man changes his own oil).
I don't trust those oil change places like Flagship, Jiffy etc. I heard of some stories.
Bosch or Toyota filter through Amazon is about $6 + change box $3 + Synth Oil (4 gallons @ $3, PX) $12 = $21.
I buy a bag of rags from Savers for $6.
And I do it on my time. No need to wait.
or if can't find oil change box, get a micro cut shredder and shred away.

Walmart has most of them time
I bought at the auto parts store where Cinerama theater used to be on sale
I am pretty sure don Quixote carries too

Heavies

« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2019, 04:16:08 AM »
I just got some at Walmart the other day.

When I was a mechanic, you wouldn't believe how many oil pans I had to fix because people take their cars to this cheap "fast lube" places.  Those kids seem to think you need an impact wrench to replace drain plugs. That and stripped lug nuts.

I wouldn't trust.

astroboy

« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2019, 06:53:15 AM »
+1 for diy oil change. Unless I am physcially unable to do it, I will continue to do my own. Like the previously stated posts stated all sorts of screw ups are very possible. I know a poor lady who had her engine seize up due to no oil in the engine after having her car serviced by a quicky oil change company.  I like the idea of also knowing that the oil and filter used is of a high quality bought and changed by me. As mentioned earlier the oil change boxes are available from many stores. I usually get them at Walmart or Don Q. 

zippz

« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2019, 07:32:04 AM »
I'll try check those stores for the box.  The PX and Costco stopped selling them sand I couldn't find them online so thought they were discontinued.
Join the Hawaii Firearms Coalition at www.hifico.org.  Hawaii's new non-profit gun rights organization focused on lobbying and grassroots activism.

Hawaii Shooting Calendar - https://calendar.google.com/calendar/embed?src=practicalmarksman.com_btllod1boifgpp8dcjnbnruhso%40group.calendar.google.com&ctz=Pacific/Honolulu

macsak

« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2019, 07:57:31 AM »
I'll try check those stores for the box.  The PX and Costco stopped selling them sand I couldn't find them online so thought they were discontinued.

it's funny that it's one of the few things that they don't have on amazon

jaynick

« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2019, 07:57:45 AM »
If you own your vehicle for awhile a fumoto drain valve is worth the $25. i havent bought an oil drain box in years. You figure they are $1-2 each so the fumoto eventually pays for itself. Plus no more hot oil splash when you remove the drain plug.

It has a nipple  8) that you attach a 3/8"id hose to and you can run the hose into an empty oil jug.
The whole job is a lot cleaner. Also, the threads on the plugs are usually the same on similar vehicles. So if you buy the same type of cars there is a good chance itll fit on your new car. I have a few with 'import' 103 threads and they fit my toyotas and infinitis and i think hondas and more. If i have the time ill do an oil change right before sale and after the oil is drained ill install the oem plug and keep the fumoto.

P.s. i figure someone will ask but the lever needs to be depressed before turning. Also you can buy an extra safety for it for a dollar which is a plastic clip that covers the whole lever. Ive never had an issue.

astroboy

« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2019, 11:16:28 AM »
If you own your vehicle for awhile a fumoto drain valve is worth the $25. i havent bought an oil drain box in years. You figure they are $1-2 each so the fumoto eventually pays for itself. Plus no more hot oil splash when you remove the drain plug.

It has a nipple  8) that you attach a 3/8"id hose to and you can run the hose into an empty oil jug.
The whole job is a lot cleaner. Also, the threads on the plugs are usually the same on similar vehicles. So if you buy the same type of cars there is a good chance itll fit on your new car. I have a few with 'import' 103 threads and they fit my toyotas and infinitis and i think hondas and more. If i have the time ill do an oil change right before sale and after the oil is drained ill install the oem plug and keep the fumoto.

P.s. i figure someone will ask but the lever needs to be depressed before turning. Also you can buy an extra safety for it for a dollar which is a plastic clip that covers the whole lever. Ive never had an issue.
I had a fumoto drain valve on my truck for over 13 years. It is a little slow volume wise but it is no problem and I like the locking lever. It is true that you can attach a hose and start draining oil even when its hot.  I never had any leakage problems. I think there was a version with out the hose fitting along with the version in the picture.

Heavies

« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2019, 12:02:57 PM »
it's funny that it's one of the few things that they don't have on amazon
Probably because many areas don't allow you to use that box and throw directly into the trash.

Over here its fuel for H Power

Rocky

« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2019, 01:57:23 PM »

If you or someone you know pours your own concrete forms, you can coat the inside of wooden forms with the oil to make it easier to separate from the concrete.
As for disposal, that's one of the main reasons I stopped doing my own oil changes.  I'll pay Flagship to avoid the headaches of trying to do the disposal.
When you figure the time, mess, having to buy oil, filters, pan, filter wrench, disposable rags, ramps if needed, disposal boxes or whatever other disposal containers if required, etc, paying to have it done for you is worth it.

+1 on the concrete forms but pull up your boots and put on your big boy pants.  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
My wife Rockette insists on doing her own change !  :-*(she can also change a flat )  :thumbsup:
As for the boxes, we just line a box with a kitchen garbage bag and fill it with shredded newspaper, old rags and saw dust and dispose for H-Power.
“I ask you to judge me by the enemies I have made.”
                                                           Franklin D. Roosevelt

stangzilla

« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2019, 03:13:35 PM »
Just changed my oil yesterday. Used my own disposal box
Also changed the filter, air filter, cabin filter, flushed the motor
Took me about 2 hours, taking my time

mrgaf

« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2019, 05:00:38 PM »
+1 on the concrete forms but pull up your boots and put on your big boy pants.  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
My wife Rockette insists on doing her own change !  :-*(she can also change a flat )  :thumbsup:
As for the boxes, we just line a box with a kitchen garbage bag and fill it with shredded newspaper, old rags and saw dust and dispose for H-Power.

You’re a lucky man! :thumbsup:
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.  Thomas Paine.

No man can get rich in politics unless he is a crook.  It cannot be done. Harry Truman

Only good liberal is one taking a dirt nap.

Rocky

« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2019, 11:34:14 AM »
You’re a lucky man! :thumbsup:
AND she's allergic to precious metals.  ;D
“I ask you to judge me by the enemies I have made.”
                                                           Franklin D. Roosevelt

changemyoil66

« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2019, 12:40:54 PM »
WTF no one tagged me on this post??? Everyone here needs to #focus.

I used to change my oil.  But after doing the math, the mechanic only charges $5 more than my cost.  So I just give him the business instead.  Only takes him about 30 mins.

Edit-Or you can dump it on ant hills at the range..cough cough.

drck1000

« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2019, 12:46:36 PM »
AND she's allergic to precious metals.  ;D
Im pretty sure she not allergic to steel and blued steel. Just sayin’   ;D