Using Hawaii Hunters Ed Certificate for handgun purchase (Read 4411 times)

midnitebacon

Using Hawaii Hunters Ed Certificate for handgun purchase
« on: June 27, 2017, 06:23:38 AM »
I lost my wallet sized hunter's ed card and now have the large sized certificate only. Is it okay to use the large certificate to apply for a handgun permit to acquire at HPD? I have only used the small wallet card in the past.

I know DNLR can replace it for a fee but wondering if I don't need to since I still have the large card.

Thanks in advance.

London808

Re: Using Hawaii Hunters Ed Certificate for handgun purchase
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2017, 06:44:09 AM »
same thing. so yes can.
"Mr. Roberts is a bit of a fanatic, he has previously sued HPD about gun registration issues." : Major Richard Robinson 2016

Heavies

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2017, 08:37:13 AM »
I've used either, good to go..  ymmv due to the whims of hpd firearms section...

midnitebacon

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2017, 09:30:09 AM »
I've used either, good to go..  ymmv due to the whims of hpd firearms section...
Thanks I'll give it a try and see what happens.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

rustyeleio

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2017, 11:29:55 PM »
I was once, long long ago, told that the large card is not the "official proof of training".  I forget if it was at HPD or a gun store but i had to return with the little card.  I have always used the small card after that.   ???

midnitebacon

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2017, 12:53:39 PM »
I was once, long long ago, told that the large card is not the "official proof of training".  I forget if it was at HPD or a gun store but i had to return with the little card.  I have always used the small card after that.   ???
Just replaced the card at DLNR  for $5 to be on the safe side.

I never had to show it at any LGS I've been to. Maybe I'll just carry it when shopping for a handgun next time just in case.

mauiboi9

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2017, 12:00:32 AM »
Just replaced the card at DLNR  for $5 to be on the safe side.

I never had to show it at any LGS I've been to. Maybe I'll just carry it when shopping for a handgun next time just in case.

The lgs shouldnt need your hunter ed card. All they need is i.d., your permit, and your money. No where on the 4473 asks us to fill out what type of training or safety course you took. Its only required at the police station to allow you to have a permit to acquire in the sate. And i believe once you've given it to them they should have it on file and you wont need to present it again when applying for another pistol permit. I never had to.
Im a recoil junkie

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2017, 12:06:30 AM »
The lgs shouldnt need your hunter ed card. All they need is i.d., your permit, and your money. No where on the 4473 asks us to fill out what type of training or safety course you took. Its only required at the police station to allow you to have a permit to acquire in the sate. And i believe once you've given it to them they should have it on file and you wont need to present it again when applying for another pistol permit. I never had to.

Honolulu PD asks me for my pistol training affidavit every time I've applied except if I've come in more than once in 30 days.  So I always make sure I have it.

The Hunter's Ed course is an alternative for the pistol course, so I would advise bringing it also for each pistol application.

There's no training requirement for long guns, so no need to bring training proof if applying for a long gun permit.

Your experience may vary.   :geekdanc:
"How can you diagnose someone with an obsessive-compulsive disorder
and then act as though I had some choice about barging in?"
-- Melvin Udall

drck1000

« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2017, 09:52:34 AM »
I had to show the affidavit every time I applied for a permit to acquire handgun. Not a big deal.  I have the affidavit and all other registration in a binder and I just take the whole thing. 

Bushido

« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2017, 06:24:35 PM »

Exactly my experience. I was allowed to purchase the handgun but was told when I came back in two weeks, I needed the card by the store.