What is Your Favorite .22 Ammunition? (Read 16550 times)

Inspector

Re: What is Your Favorite .22 Ammunition?
« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2016, 08:11:46 AM »
One 22 ammo that I HATE is the Federal Champion in the lighter blue box.  All sorts of malfunctions with my 22 pistol and other semi-auto handguns and rifles (both mine and others).  Have come across many who say the same thing.  It's bulk/cheap ammo, but still.  I've shot hundreds of rounds of the Blazer bulk pack that comes in the black and silver box and that shoots just fine with my 22 pistol that chokes on the Fed Champion.  Gave that stuff away and even the person that I gave it to said he only shoots it with a bolt action rifle.
I don't usually buy that ammo for basically the same reasons. However, right in the middle of the shortage a few years ago one of the LGS had some for sale with 10 box/1 brick maximum. I think it was around $30. I shot it all with out an issue. I expected it to be for use in my revolver/bolt rifle only but it worked well in all my semis except my pistols as I cannot shoot HV in them. I think the quality control on the cheap ammo is hit or miss depending on the lot and the luck of the draw.

I also have had problems with the Federal AE in the red box. It was so bad I couldn't get two rounds in a row to function in my semis. It became fodder for my revolver which is normally accurate but not with that ammo. Since then I have tried some of the same ammo given to me by a friend and it worked well in my semis. I think Federal and to a smaller extent CCI have had QC problems during this shortage period. I have some CCI SV that I need to wipe off excess lube from. And I have some Federal Auto Match that one lot shoots real well in my Annie and some from another lot that doesn't.  :wtf:
SCIENCE THAT CAN’T BE QUESTIONED IS PROPAGANDA!!!

Inspector

« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2016, 08:13:55 AM »
I used to have this list, more like a matrix, of which type of .22 ammo each of my guns would function with, and how well they performed with it.  At some point, I just got tired of the bother.  Stocking fie or more different flavors of ammo, keeping straight which flavor to run on which gun... bah!  So I started a search to find one, and only one, type of ammo that would both function reliably in each of my guns and also perform decently, if not exceptionally.

It took about two years, multiple thousands of rounds, and extensive note-taking.  The winner?

CCI standard velocity.

I still buy a box or two of high velocity in a couple of brands, just to have for trying out friends' guns.  But for myself?  CCI Std, nada mas.
If I had to pick one to shoot in all my guns it would be the CCI SV. Overall it shoots well in all my guns. But I need SV for my semi pistols as I cannot shoot HV in them and the CCI SV is deadly accurate in them.

passivekinetic

« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2016, 11:00:18 AM »
Guys can you clarify on why SV would be better than HV?

It seems counterintuitive to me, assuming HV packs more bang and works the action stronger (?)

As I said before, I'm keen to learn more about 22LR.
"The sheep fear sheepdogs, because they fail to see the wolves."
- Anonymous

Inspector

« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2016, 11:24:34 AM »

It seems counterintuitive to me, assuming HV packs more bang and works the action stronger (?)

The theory behind it is this:

High/Hyper Velocity ammo is supersonic. Going through the sound barrier makes the bullet wobble a little. Especially when the bullet slows down below the sound barrier. There is also a theory that the shock wave from the bullet hitting the sound barrier catches up to the slowing bullet and also creates some wobble. This wobble can throw accuracy off. Because of this wobble, SV, match and target ammo is loaded subsonic. They don't go through the sound barrier, so don't have the wobble. From this perspective, SV, target and match ammo is more accurate. Also, there are different bullets, lube and powders used between them all. Plus with match ammo the consumer demands a higher level of consistency and reliability. I am sure the tolerances are set a little differently (tighter?) for target/match ammo.

Also, 22s are some of the pickiest guns on the face of the earth. They like (and also don't like) specific kinds of ammo. The only way to find out which is to shoot different brands. Generally speaking you will find that SV, target and match ammo will shoot better (Some significantly better) than any high/hyper velocity ammo does.

Back in the old days (before high and hyper velocity ammo) all .22 was SV. Target loads were made to tighter, more consistent tolerances (however that was done?). But as it turned out, just like today's CCI SV is a bargain target load so was the Remington green box SV ammo. That was the go to target load when you didn't want to spend a fortune on target/match ammo. But watch out if you own a semi auto .22 from the 50's/60's or earlier as they were designed for SV ammo only since HV ammo was not manufactured yet. And a steady diet of HV ammo in a gun only designed for SV can tear a gun apart.

Inspector

« Reply #24 on: May 16, 2016, 11:38:53 AM »
For those of you (like myself) that want to geek out on .22 ammunition there is an excellent book I highly recommend:

THE RIFLEMAN'S GUIDE TO RIMFIRE AMMUNITION

http://www.zediker.com/books/rimfire/rimfiremain.html

Enjoy!

Bushido

« Reply #25 on: May 16, 2016, 12:45:08 PM »

Sk Rifle match followed by Lapua  Midas+
Where do you find the Lapua Midas + if you don't mind me asking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

oldfart

« Reply #26 on: May 16, 2016, 12:50:08 PM »
The theory behind it is this:

High/Hyper Velocity ammo is supersonic. Going through the sound barrier makes the bullet wobble a little. Especially when the bullet slows down below the sound barrier. There is also a theory that the shock wave from the bullet hitting the sound barrier catches up to the slowing bullet and also creates some wobble. This wobble can throw accuracy off. Because of this wobble, SV, match and target ammo is loaded subsonic. They don't go through the sound barrier, so don't have the wobble. From this perspective, SV, target and match ammo is more accurate. Also, there are different bullets, lube and powders used between them all. Plus with match ammo the consumer demands a higher level of consistency and reliability. I am sure the tolerances are set a little differently (tighter?) for target/match ammo.

Also, 22s are some of the pickiest guns on the face of the earth. They like (and also don't like) specific kinds of ammo. The only way to find out which is to shoot different brands. Generally speaking you will find that SV, target and match ammo will shoot better (Some significantly better) than any high/hyper velocity ammo does.

Back in the old days (before high and hyper velocity ammo) all .22 was SV. Target loads were made to tighter, more consistent tolerances (however that was done?). But as it turned out, just like today's CCI SV is a bargain target load so was the Remington green box SV ammo. That was the go to target load when you didn't want to spend a fortune on target/match ammo. But watch out if you own a semi auto .22 from the 50's/60's or earlier as they were designed for SV ammo only since HV ammo was not manufactured yet. And a steady diet of HV ammo in a gun only designed for SV can tear a gun apart.
Oh man you let the cat out of the bag.
Now all the good stuff is gonna disappear.
What, Me Worry?

Inspector

« Reply #27 on: May 16, 2016, 12:54:56 PM »
Oh man you let the cat out of the bag.
Now all the good stuff is gonna disappear.
I can tell you are really worried...  :shake: :shake: :shake:

passivekinetic

« Reply #28 on: May 16, 2016, 01:40:13 PM »
Thanks for the mini-lesson.
"The sheep fear sheepdogs, because they fail to see the wolves."
- Anonymous

Tom_G

« Reply #29 on: May 16, 2016, 05:32:42 PM »

Since the technical side has already been discussed...

Because several of my semis malfunction with HV.  At least one of them, and probably several, predate SV ammo, and aren't made to function at those higher pressures.  Working the action stronger is not a good thing: working the action at its designers' intended level is. 

I have a secondhand S&W 622 that, when I bought it, was inoperable. The previous owner fed it a consistent diet of HV and actually bent several of the smaller action components out of true. After some gentle love, careful pressure, and a proper diet, that gun has become one of my favorite shooters!
The difference between theory and reality is that, in theory, there is no difference between theory and reality.

Bushido

« Reply #30 on: May 25, 2016, 09:39:13 AM »

Inspector

« Reply #31 on: May 25, 2016, 09:47:59 AM »
http://www.accurateshooter.com/guns-of-week/22lr-rimfire-ammo-comparison-test/  . Posted for those that might be interested.
I'd seen this before a while ago and forgot to bookmark it. I could never find it again. Thanks!!!  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

oldfart

« Reply #32 on: May 25, 2016, 10:43:55 AM »
What, Me Worry?

Bushido

« Reply #33 on: May 25, 2016, 05:32:22 PM »
GREAT website :thumbsup:

It really is. I use to like to look at the the "Guns of the week" but they haven't updated it in awhile. One of my favorites: http://www.6mmbr.com/gunweek078.html

Bushido

« Reply #34 on: June 05, 2016, 12:05:49 PM »
Just went to Sportsman Warehouse. They have at least a dozen different 22lr but they have buying limits. They had a large portion of the Aguila line. Going to try to bring home some of the Rifle March and Pistol
Match. Anyone tried these?

Inspector

« Reply #35 on: June 05, 2016, 03:06:55 PM »
Just went to Sportsman Warehouse. They have at least a dozen different 22lr but they have buying limits. They had a large portion of the Aguila line. Going to try to bring home some of the Rifle March and Pistol
Match. Anyone tried these?

I have experience with the Golden Eagle Target, Super Extra Standard Velocity and Super Extra Subsonic. I really like the Golden Eagle Target as it shoots similar to CCI Standard Velocity. It works well in all my guns like CCI SV does. The Super Extra SV gave me 1" groups at 50 yards. Works quite well in both my 10/22's. Not sure about the Subsonic as I have not shot it yet. I hope this helps you.

Bushido

« Reply #36 on: June 05, 2016, 05:56:56 PM »
I have experience with the Golden Eagle Target, Super Extra Standard Velocity and Super Extra Subsonic. I really like the Golden Eagle Target as it shoots similar to CCI Standard Velocity. It works well in all my guns like CCI SV does. The Super Extra SV gave me 1" groups at 50 yards. Works quite well in both my 10/22's. Not sure about the Subsonic as I have not shot it yet. I hope this helps you.

I'm pretty sure they had the Super Extra SV for like $5.95. I think the Match was like $6.95. They have a 3 box max or 1 box bulk (300+) per visit. I might have to go everyday after my work. Lol. They had Norma Match, Remington Target, Fed Auto Match and several more. That place is insane. Reloading stuff galore. We absolutely need a store like that in Hawaii.

Inspector

« Reply #37 on: June 05, 2016, 06:11:42 PM »
I'm pretty sure they had the Super Extra SV for like $5.95. I think the Match was like $6.95. They have a 3 box max or 1 box bulk (300+) per visit. I might have to go everyday after my work. Lol. They had Norma Match, Remington Target, Fed Auto Match and several more. That place is insane. Reloading stuff galore. We absolutely need a store like that in Hawaii.
That is the same price for the Super Extra SV that Sports Authority was asking. Not sure about the Match. Norma Match is made by Lapua and is the same as Lapua Match and SK Rifle Match. I don't care for Remington Match but it may shoot well for you. Federal Auto Match is just okay. It used to be much better and has gone down hill a bit IMHO. I have a lot of it and is strictly plinking ammo at this point for me. I bought a box 3 or 4 years ago and it shot well in my Annie. But every box I have purchased since has not shot any where near as well. I have heard this from others as well.

Bushido

« Reply #38 on: June 06, 2016, 03:14:22 PM »
That is the same price for the Super Extra SV that Sports Authority was asking. Not sure about the Match. Norma Match is made by Lapua and is the same as Lapua Match and SK Rifle Match. I don't care for Remington Match but it may shoot well for you. Federal Auto Match is just okay. It used to be much better and has gone down hill a bit IMHO. I have a lot of it and is strictly plinking ammo at this point for me. I bought a box 3 or 4 years ago and it shot well in my Annie. But every box I have purchased since has not shot any where near as well. I have heard this from others as well.

I use Blazers, Federal Auto Match and American Eagle as my plinking rounds. I don't even bother with the really cheap stuff. As the years have gone by, I've noticed the quality of them has diminished as well. I hope that case I bought recently is up to normal standards. I have some old Blazers (different logo/ over 15yo) that can shoot with match grade stuff.

I'm looking to bring back some match grade stuff. Those are far and few to find in HI.

Masamune

« Reply #39 on: June 06, 2016, 03:22:20 PM »
What I want for a fwb2602
1. Rws 100
2. Rws target
3. Wolf or sk match extra

What I have
1. Eley tenex
2. Winchester match (from the 70's)
3. Russian- biathlon, sniper, junior