2aHawaii
Tools and Uses => Firearms and Accessories => Topic started by: macsak on September 24, 2013, 04:31:10 PM
-
so i know those shotshell holders that go on the stock and receiver
http://www.google.com/search?q=shotshell+holder+stock&safe=off&client=safari&rls=en&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=CUpCUtHPHKiMigLUsIHoCw&ved=0CDQQsAQ (http://www.google.com/search?q=shotshell+holder+stock&safe=off&client=safari&rls=en&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=CUpCUtHPHKiMigLUsIHoCw&ved=0CDQQsAQ)
and then there's the metal kind that are like the change thingys that the vendors use at baseball games
http://www.copquest.com/23-7065_safariland-084-6-round-shotgun-shell-holder.htm (http://www.copquest.com/23-7065_safariland-084-6-round-shotgun-shell-holder.htm)
and the pull out tabs that hold one or two rows of spares
http://www.servimg.com/image_preview.php?i=3374&u=14511247 (http://www.servimg.com/image_preview.php?i=3374&u=14511247)
which ones have people tried and liked/disliked?
-
.
-
2nd type is more for competition; essentially zero retention if doing anything other than standing up right, and you need to practice holding/loading w/ 5 shells in your hand.
Personally, I prefer the 3rd type. I have a vest that's set up with (2) Blackhawk! vertical pouches that hold 18 rounds each : http://amzn.com/B001QGLSSU (http://amzn.com/B001QGLSSU) .
I can't palm even 4 shells at a time so got the 3 shell carriers to play around with (someday).
Remember those giant mag tubes for competition? Those look so cool and when they work - zip, fully loaded mag tube! But completely impractical for "regular" use and lots of vids when things go bad you end up dumping shells everywhere. I'd rather load one at a time and make sure they go in there. Or grab another fully loaded shotgun because... :D
-
.
-
This new set up I have on a modular vest is AMAZING; shells are secured and very smooth to load strong hand (which is what it is initially set up for), or off hand as well. And the fact that I have 32 shot shell sin just (2) pouches is worth it on its own. The major downside, of course, is that you have to load the shells one at a time; but with practice, I can see someone pulling out X amount of shells and loading them as quickly as a speed loader.
I'll take a pic when I get the chance :shaka:
Cool, thanks Q :D I almost think loading a shotgun is more fun than shooting it though I don't do a lot of either and seriously 12 gauge is punishing. Shooting clays with a 20 ga. last weekend was very enjoyable in comparison and of course the bonus was just getting to handle the awesome guns for the class (not cheapos by any stretch, they were all high end over unders!)(which btw may soon come up for sale I got to write him back).
-
.
-
I can weak hand load 4 shells ok but been looking into the carbon arms caddie for ease of use with twins or quad reloads kinda pricey but looks much easier and quicker
http://www.carbonarms.us/TWinS-Shotgun-Loading-Systems/Carbon-Arms-TWinS-FSL8.html (http://www.carbonarms.us/TWinS-Shotgun-Loading-Systems/Carbon-Arms-TWinS-FSL8.html)
-
this is how i roll ;D
galati gear makes some good stuff for the price. most of their stuff i bought from them is made in south korea.
http://www.galatigear.com/store/product.php?productid=16208&cat=261&page=1 (http://www.galatigear.com/store/product.php?productid=16208&cat=261&page=1)
-
you didnt list it as an option but i thought i would mention that i tried out a bandoleer once but the general internet consensus about them is right; too much movement even if you cinch it down tight. its balance shifts back and forth when you start to remove shells and you need to blindly feel for the remaining shells.
the velcro pull tab ones are a good concept but i hate how shit gets stuck in the velcro. i.e. dry weedwhacked grass that is all over kokohead. also the noise.
-
Let me just start off by saying that I am very new to the shotgun world so.....
I just picked up the GG&G 6 shell angled side saddle and so far in practice it seems great. Kinda pricey but well made, shells fit tight and don't have to worry about them coming loose, simple install (just don't over tighten the 2 mounting machine screws). With the angled position it seems to have better ergonomics going from the holder into the tube. Still looking for a system to carry more shells on my belt...
-
.
-
Bandolier as a belt, that's an option...
-
I just use the bandolier as a belt. Only problem is that most shot shell bandoliers make crappy pistol belts, so you gotta make do with what you got. Until I can figure out a way to sew my own shell holders onto a pistol belt, I'm willing to sacrifice the extra shells.
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0000C53GH/?tag=2ahawaii-20 (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0000C53GH/?tag=2ahawaii-20)
-
.
-
Good thing you mentioned that it sucks, was actually looking at that one along with a couple of others
-
.
-
Thanks for the info...much appreciated