2aHawaii

General Topics => General Discussion => Topic started by: Paul96734 on December 23, 2013, 02:25:14 PM

Title: Should I have asked for my permit back.....
Post by: Paul96734 on December 23, 2013, 02:25:14 PM
I went to renew my long gun permit today, filled out the forms, and then left. As I was driving away I knew that they were going to keep my old permit, but why would they when it was still valid for one more week?
Title: Re: Should I have asked for my permit back.....
Post by: stangzilla on December 23, 2013, 02:32:55 PM
are you going to use it in the next week?
Title: Re: Should I have asked for my permit back.....
Post by: WTF?Shane on December 23, 2013, 02:41:00 PM
I asked before and they said couldn't have the permit when they were routing new one.
Title: Re: Should I have asked for my permit back.....
Post by: 2aHawaii on December 23, 2013, 02:42:12 PM
I've had that happen to me as well. I politely asked for it back and they said "sure." I think they just assume most people are renewing an *expired* permit.
Title: Re: Should I have asked for my permit back.....
Post by: SpeedTek on December 23, 2013, 02:45:08 PM
Call HPD and they will hold it. CALL THEM NOW
Title: Re: Should I have asked for my permit back.....
Post by: Paul96734 on December 23, 2013, 02:45:28 PM
are you going to use it in the next week?

No, but I thought it was odd after the fact. I am by no means a major enthusiast, but for some reason it felt so....gone.....
Title: Re: Should I have asked for my permit back.....
Post by: Paul96734 on December 23, 2013, 02:48:23 PM
Call HPD and they will hold it. CALL THEM NOW

The only good thing is that it delays my impulse to buy a rifle that I have had my eye on lol
Title: Re: Should I have asked for my permit back.....
Post by: causa mortis on December 23, 2013, 03:20:19 PM
This is BS. I had to renew my long gun permit at the beginning of the month, and I showed them my old permit, which had about five days left on it, they just gave it back to me without any hassle.

Maybe you just got someone who had some bad coffee.
Title: Re: Should I have asked for my permit back.....
Post by: 230RN on December 23, 2013, 06:51:42 PM
Kinda interesting.  Did they date the new permit as of the expiration of the old permit? If so, if they kept the old permit, does leave you without a permit for that week?  Or does the new permit have an issue date as well as an expiration date?

Title: Re: Should I have asked for my permit back.....
Post by: TastesLikeMetal on December 23, 2013, 08:36:44 PM
The Officer handed it back and said "It's still good til you come in 2 weeks." to me.
Title: Re: Should I have asked for my permit back.....
Post by: Darmok and Jalad @Tanagra on December 23, 2013, 10:53:07 PM
Kinda interesting.  Did they date the new permit as of the expiration of the old permit? If so, if they kept the old permit, does leave you without a permit for that week?  Or does the new permit have an issue date as well as an expiration date?

The official permit date is the date you pick it up after the 2 week mandatory wait.  Expiration is one year after the permit pick up date.  Neither date is dependent on the previous permit expiration date. 

You aren't allowed to renew a long gun permit earlier than 2 weeks prior to expiration.
Title: Re: Should I have asked for my permit back.....
Post by: Kingkeoni on December 23, 2013, 11:40:39 PM
I keep all my old permits.

The officer probably just assumed you didn't want it because you didn't say anything.

I'm sure there was no malice or ulterior motives.
Title: Re: Should I have asked for my permit back.....
Post by: 230RN on December 24, 2013, 06:04:02 AM
Oh, I wasn't implying any malice, I just thought it was odd.  Now that you mention the two week waiting period, I see what the problem is.  I didn't know about that part of it.

Never mind.
Title: Re: Should I have asked for my permit back.....
Post by: dogman on December 24, 2013, 08:09:18 AM
The bottom of the permit is written "Upon expiration of this permit, please return it to the Firearms Unit of the Honolulu Police Department".
Title: Re: Should I have asked for my permit back.....
Post by: Bigkahuna808 on December 24, 2013, 09:27:11 AM
When they have asked for my permit back in the past it has been when I pick up my new one.  The only other time he asked if I plan on buying anything between my permit pick up date and now, I said no.  He asked if I mind him taking the permit, I said it wasn't a problem.