2aHawaii

General Topics => General Discussion => Topic started by: BLKDRGN on March 31, 2014, 09:48:54 AM

Title: How much zoom is needed for 100 yards?
Post by: BLKDRGN on March 31, 2014, 09:48:54 AM
About how much zoom is needed to see the paper targets up close at 100 yards? I don't have a spotting scope yet so I was hoping those cheap 12x optical zoom lens for my iPhone will work. lol. I want to record our shooting.

Anyone tried this and know what happens if you try to digitally zoom with this on?

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00ADJFOZE/?tag=2ahawaii-20 (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00ADJFOZE/?tag=2ahawaii-20)
Title: Re: How much zoom is needed for 100 yards?
Post by: 338KID on March 31, 2014, 10:08:37 AM
Just buy a good scope for your rifle and spot for your self . That way less things you got to take to the range .
Title: Re: How much zoom is needed for 100 yards?
Post by: BLKDRGN on March 31, 2014, 10:10:52 AM
Oh I forgot to mention that I want to record it.
Title: Re: How much zoom is needed for 100 yards?
Post by: Bota-CS1 on March 31, 2014, 10:39:47 AM
I think you'll need more that just 12x to really get a good view of your hits on paper at even 100 yards, especially if you're shooting .223/5.56.  I think you should just get a decently priced spotting scope and look for an adapter that will hold your phone up to the eye piece.  You don't have to get the one in the picture, but Amazon should have a variety to chose from  :thumbsup:

Title: Re: How much zoom is needed for 100 yards?
Post by: ren on March 31, 2014, 10:47:35 AM
The size of the objective is just as important as power.
Title: Re: How much zoom is needed for 100 yards?
Post by: BLKDRGN on March 31, 2014, 10:50:39 AM
You think the Leupold Kenai SX-2 is good enough for up to 1000 yards?

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B003ABRPIQ/?tag=2ahawaii-20 (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B003ABRPIQ/?tag=2ahawaii-20)
Title: Re: How much zoom is needed for 100 yards?
Post by: 338KID on March 31, 2014, 11:41:58 AM
Check usnightvision for there adapters . For longer shots I have a leupold 20-60x80 Mark 4 spotting scope with my usnightvision iPad / iPhone adapters. I'm wanting to get the adapter that connects the the eye piece of my Schmidt that WiFi the video
Title: Re: How much zoom is needed for 100 yards?
Post by: macsak on March 31, 2014, 12:08:15 PM
The size of the objective is just as important as power.

that's what she said
Title: Re: How much zoom is needed for 100 yards?
Post by: Jbaroune on March 31, 2014, 05:22:05 PM
that's what she said


Never gets old. Lmao
Title: Re: How much zoom is needed for 100 yards?
Post by: tinha28 on April 01, 2014, 03:36:54 PM
You should try this 50x zoom and tell me how it goes. I brought a 18x scope for $40 at ebay which is execellent for pistol at 25 yards. A little blurry at 50 yards.


http://www.ebay.com/itm/Aluminum-50X-Zoom-Telescope-Lens-Camera-Tripod-For-iphone-5-5S-Free-Shipping-/321347115167?pt=US_Other_Cell_Phone_Accessories&hash=item4ad1c7d89f (http://www.ebay.com/itm/Aluminum-50X-Zoom-Telescope-Lens-Camera-Tripod-For-iphone-5-5S-Free-Shipping-/321347115167?pt=US_Other_Cell_Phone_Accessories&hash=item4ad1c7d89f)