2aHawaii

Tools and Uses => Firearms and Accessories => Topic started by: spoolin2hi on November 20, 2011, 07:35:30 PM

Title: Maverick 88 Security?
Post by: spoolin2hi on November 20, 2011, 07:35:30 PM
Hey 2A,

         I was looking to buy my first shotgun for home defense. I've done my research but I was curious as your opinion on this. Or should I just save my money and buy a Remington 870 tactical express? Thanks in advance.
Title: Re: Maverick 88 Security?
Post by: 808shooter on November 20, 2011, 08:10:31 PM
I have one.  If you're thinking you're gonna put a vertical foregrip, optic, extended mag tube, rail lights and lasers and heatshield... fuggetabboutit.  If you want a simple pump for home defense and you're OK with just a couple mods like a pistol grip then it's G2G. 

Title: Re: Maverick 88 Security?
Post by: Kingkeoni on November 20, 2011, 08:19:01 PM
Not a big fan of the Maverick.

For 100 bucks more, you'll be much happier with an 870 or even a Mossberg 500
Title: Re: Maverick 88 Security?
Post by: hvybarrels on November 20, 2011, 08:28:07 PM
go for it. not s-mart's top of the line but it's still a functional boom stick.
Title: Re: Maverick 88 Security?
Post by: BananaClip on November 20, 2011, 09:04:04 PM
The Maverick88 is sufficient for home defense but the 870 has awesome fit and finish for the price... The Mossberg500 is killer also....  :thumbsup:
Title: Re: Maverick 88 Security?
Post by: spoolin2hi on November 20, 2011, 09:37:00 PM
Thanks everyone for the quick replies. I will probably just put a light on it. saw its on sale at sports authority for $190.00 plus $25 off coupon. Is $360 for Remington 870 tactical express a good deal?
Title: Re: Maverick 88 Security?
Post by: 808shooter on November 21, 2011, 12:59:07 PM
i'm not sure how you'd put a light on it.. barrel clamp?  It's just not really a good choice for accessorizing.  I don't really shoot 12g so that's why i bought a cheap one.  if you're gonna go and shoot 12g a lot, i'd spend the xtra.  Jus my .02

Title: Re: Maverick 88 Security?
Post by: kaneohegrown on November 21, 2011, 02:08:46 PM
Love my 870 Tac. It's nice to have around if I ever need something bigger than my .40. Either would be good, but I'm already biased towards a Remmy. :D
Title: Re: Maverick 88 Security?
Post by: DrumMag on November 21, 2011, 07:22:18 PM
Speaking of accessorizing a shotgun, check out Elite Tactical Advantage. They have CRAZY rail setup's like the "Bulldozer!" and the "Rhino!":o
All the dreams I had for my Moss500 :(
www.elitetacticaladvantage.com (http://www.elitetacticaladvantage.com)
Title: Re: Maverick 88 Security?
Post by: 808shooter on November 21, 2011, 08:57:07 PM
Dat Dare be a tacticoo gun bro :geekdanc:
Title: Re: Maverick 88 Security?
Post by: palaina.kawika on November 22, 2011, 12:51:27 PM
for a little more than $200 you can get an Interstate Arms defender (norinco 982) like i did. i had to order it online but had it shipped to OGC and transferred cheap and without hassle.

not to mention, it accepts every upgrade available for the rem 870 except barrels. mine has a speedfeed stock/forend, tacstar sidesaddle, big button safety, and +1 mag from wilson.

it also comes with ghost rings.


[attachment deleted by admin]
Title: Re: Maverick 88 Security?
Post by: 2aHawaii on November 22, 2011, 01:59:26 PM
How long ago did you get yours? I haven't seen them around recently. It may take a trip to gunbroker.
Title: Re: Maverick 88 Security?
Post by: Kingkeoni on November 22, 2011, 02:49:22 PM
No offense kawika but when it comes to a firearm to protect the lives of my loved ones and myself, I'm not going the "cheaper" route. No Norinco's for me.

My 870 & 11-87 are what I've chosen to protect myself.
Title: Re: Maverick 88 Security?
Post by: palaina.kawika on November 22, 2011, 04:30:00 PM
i got it early this summer on buds. their stock of IA defenders does fluxuate but i haven't really seen them go too long without restocking.

keoni no offense taken. everyone has their budgets, and this one fit mine perfectly. i decided to go with the norico right around the time when remington's "express" line was catching backlash in the quality control sector.
Title: Re: Maverick 88 Security?
Post by: BananaClip on November 23, 2011, 07:43:35 PM
Shoot Kawika, now you got me checking out that Norinco Shotty online  :rofl: ........ Norinco AK's, SKS's, Shotty's etc....The Chinese make excellent firearms.....and dishes... ;)
Title: Re: Maverick 88 Security?
Post by: jc2721 on November 24, 2011, 09:29:46 AM
Hey, Sports Authority has an H & R 12 ga pump with short barrel for $149.00--check out today's black friday ad.  That's about the cheapest you'll ever see a 12 ga pump.
Title: Re: Maverick 88 Security?
Post by: spoolin2hi on November 24, 2011, 02:48:05 PM
Hey, Sports Authority has an H & R 12 ga pump with short barrel for $149.00--check out today's black friday ad.  That's about the cheapest you'll ever see a 12 ga pump.

Thanks... looking at the reviews. I may just pick it up.
Title: Re: Maverick 88 Security?
Post by: pj_benn on November 24, 2011, 07:31:17 PM
Any link to ad?
Title: Re: Maverick 88 Security?
Post by: sirkaiks on November 24, 2011, 08:53:04 PM
Any link to ad?
http://sportsauthority.shoplocal.com/sportsauthority/default.aspx?action=browsepageflash&storeid=2597250&rapid=1320328&prvid=TSA-111124&promotioncode=TSA-111124&fsid=129666772448796009 (http://sportsauthority.shoplocal.com/sportsauthority/default.aspx?action=browsepageflash&storeid=2597250&rapid=1320328&prvid=TSA-111124&promotioncode=TSA-111124&fsid=129666772448796009)


so the H&R suppose to be a modeled after the 870, and the maverick 88 suppose to be a cheaper mossberg 500... but like others said, for a little more you can have the actual model :thumbsup:
Title: Re: Maverick 88 Security?
Post by: Kingkeoni on November 24, 2011, 09:04:09 PM
here's a pic of the ad.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Title: Re: Maverick 88 Security?
Post by: jc2721 on November 24, 2011, 09:33:11 PM
Any link to ad?
http://sportsauthority.shoplocal.com/sportsauthority/default.aspx?action=browsepageflash&storeid=2597250&rapid=1320328&prvid=TSA-111124&promotioncode=TSA-111124&fsid=129666772448796009 (http://sportsauthority.shoplocal.com/sportsauthority/default.aspx?action=browsepageflash&storeid=2597250&rapid=1320328&prvid=TSA-111124&promotioncode=TSA-111124&fsid=129666772448796009)


so the H&R suppose to be a modeled after the 870, and the maverick 88 suppose to be a cheaper mossberg 500... but like others said, for a little more you can have the actual model :thumbsup:

That's true, particularly if you have the budget for it.  Another way of looking at it is that for XXX dollars you can have brand A shotgun or for the same money you can have brand Z shotgun and more ammo and/or accessories.   I don't have any experience with the H & R but my cheapo used Mossberg (I paid $25.00 for it 20 years ago!) has served me well all these years.  She won't win any points for  "tacticality" and I can't spend hours talking about all the upgrades and accessories she's got (just a pistol grip, plastic forend and cut down barrel) but she's all the shotgun I need for my purposes.

You are going to have to run a few boxes through whatever gun you buy anyway, so as long as the H & R suits you and proves reliable, you come out ahead.  Hopefully, SA has more than one or two in stock or this all might be moot!