2aHawaii

General Topics => General Discussion => Topic started by: Heavies on December 17, 2011, 08:54:27 AM

Title: Kokohead Shooting Complex Closed 12/17/11
Post by: Heavies on December 17, 2011, 08:54:27 AM
Kokohead shooting complex is closed today again. The roof is still being torn off by the wind.
I guess the city has not got the picture that this park needs to be maintained, just like the other parks around the island.
 >:(
Title: Re: Kokohead Shooting Complex Closed 12/17/11
Post by: spoolin2hi on December 17, 2011, 10:03:42 AM
Damn, that sucks. Please keep me posted... I was planning on going tomorrow on the rifle side. 
Title: Re: Kokohead Shooting Complex Closed 12/17/11
Post by: Heavies on December 17, 2011, 10:21:50 AM
If someone that lives near the range would keep us all posted that would be great. I live in Ewa Beach, and this, again, has wasted a bunch of my time, gas, and cash. I think I am going to present the city a bill for the wasted gasoline.

Please write your reps and inform them that these continuing closures of the range is unacceptable, and demand that they fund the upkeep and maintenance of the range.

Unlike other parks, where if it is closed for some reason, you could drive down the road a few miles and stop at the next, this is the ONLY place where citizens can engage in target shooting and practice. This is a clear infringment on our second amendment rights.  This disgusts me fully.
Title: Re: Kokohead Shooting Complex Closed 12/17/11
Post by: 42itus on December 17, 2011, 10:42:21 AM
If someone that lives near the range would keep us all posted that would be great. I live in Ewa Beach, and this, again, has wasted a bunch of my time, gas, and cash. I think I am going to present the city a bill for the wasted gasoline.

Please write your reps and inform them that these continuing closures of the range is unacceptable, and demand that they fund the upkeep and maintenance of the range.

Unlike other parks, where if it is closed for some reason, you could drive down the road a few miles and stop at the next, this is the ONLY place where citizens can engage in target shooting and practice. This is a clear infringment on our second amendment rights.  This disgusts me fully.

Thanks for saving me a trip.  I was actually packing up when I read this.  I'll drive by later anyway because I live super close. 
Title: Re: Kokohead Shooting Complex Closed 12/17/11
Post by: Inspector on December 17, 2011, 03:45:29 PM
Thanks for saving me a trip.  I was actually packing up when I read this.  I'll drive by later anyway because I live super close.
Thanks for doing this!!! I want to go tomorrow and I live in Kapolei. If they are not going to be open I don't want to waste a trip!
Title: Re: Kokohead Shooting Complex Closed 12/17/11
Post by: Kingkeoni on December 17, 2011, 04:34:41 PM
Thanks for saving me a trip.  I was actually packing up when I read this.  I'll drive by later anyway because I live super close.
Thanks for doing this!!! I want to go tomorrow and I live in Kapolei. If they are not going to be open I don't want to waste a trip!

That really sucks, to drive halfway across the island at $4.00 a gallon, just to have to drive home disappointed.
Title: Re: Kokohead Shooting Complex Closed 12/17/11
Post by: Cpt.Englehorn on December 17, 2011, 04:47:45 PM
Anyone know if the range will be open tommorow.
Title: Re: Kokohead Shooting Complex Closed 12/17/11
Post by: vooduchikn on December 17, 2011, 05:15:04 PM
Maybe if they close it down often enough, the state could justify closing it for good. Stranger things have happened.
Title: Re: Kokohead Shooting Complex Closed 12/17/11
Post by: 42itus on December 17, 2011, 09:28:22 PM
I drove by in the afternoon, there were a few trucks  in front of the rifle side.  I went over to see and was greeted with "brah, the range is closed."  I asked if it was going to be open tomorrow and another guy shrugged his shoulders and said "probably not".  They didn't look like any of the familiar ROs, so you can take that reply however you want it.  I'll drive by on the way to work and will post the status, but it won't be until 10ish before I drive by.
Title: Re: Kokohead Shooting Complex Closed 12/17/11
Post by: Heavies on December 18, 2011, 02:39:23 AM
I drove by in the afternoon, there were a few trucks  in front of the rifle side.  I went over to see and was greeted with "brah, the range is closed."  I asked if it was going to be open tomorrow and another guy shrugged his shoulders and said "probably not".  They didn't look like any of the familiar ROs, so you can take that reply however you want it.  I'll drive by on the way to work and will post the status, but it won't be until 10ish before I drive by.

Thank you for your assistance.  It is much appreciated, especially for those of us on the leeward side. 
Title: Re: Kokohead Shooting Complex Closed 12/17/11
Post by: Heavies on December 18, 2011, 04:49:28 AM
I have written letters to the parks dept, mayor, and others..  I doubt any thing will come of that, however, my city rep Tom Berg has informed me of this.  Thank God my district has a proponent such as him.

Quote
Aloha Brendon,
 I am taking liberty to get this to a Tv reporter who is covering this issue today- what a coincidence. I may be meeting the reporter this morning out at Kokohead - and or also at the proposed public range I am trying to advance in Kalaeloa.....Resolution 11-263 CD1 that passed /was adopted on November 2 of this year by the full council to adbance a range in Kalaeloa.....friends that have clubs had a meeting on the 10th of December with the city as the city may impose a $15 fee of them as well! So your email is a great overview of conditions the reporter is after to help us get a range on the west side.
 MAHALO
 Tom Berg

 :thumbsup:   Looks like there will be some kind of report on on KHON 2...
Title: Re: Kokohead Shooting Complex Closed 12/17/11
Post by: Inspector on December 18, 2011, 07:07:16 AM
Thanks Heavies for writing those letters!
Title: Re: Kokohead Shooting Complex Closed 12/17/11
Post by: ren on December 18, 2011, 09:25:08 AM
is it closed today 12/18? I called and got a dated answering machine message.
Title: Re: Kokohead Shooting Complex Closed 12/17/11
Post by: 42itus on December 18, 2011, 10:29:04 AM
it's open. my bad
Title: Kokohead Shooting Complex Closed 12/17/11
Post by: sirkaiks on December 18, 2011, 10:39:39 AM
thanks for the update! gonna go break in my new glock.
Title: Re: Kokohead Shooting Complex Closed 12/17/11
Post by: Heavies on December 18, 2011, 11:17:09 AM
42itus,

Thank you for the drive over there. You are an officer and a gentleman.
Title: Re: Kokohead Shooting Complex Closed 12/17/11
Post by: SpeedTek on December 18, 2011, 01:07:04 PM
Yup we called some friends who are out there and they said it was open!  Too bad I have to work today.  :'(
Title: Re: Kokohead Shooting Complex Closed 12/17/11
Post by: HollowMan on December 18, 2011, 03:41:48 PM
this is complete bullshit! Please can we get some funds for OUR LOCAL RANGE! 
Title: Re: Kokohead Shooting Complex Closed 12/17/11
Post by: Mr. Farknocker on December 18, 2011, 04:01:36 PM
I renew my suggestion that the clubs running the range or the city parks and recreation dept have a twitter account so the peeps with twitter can at least stay informed real time.
Title: Re: Kokohead Shooting Complex Closed 12/17/11
Post by: SpeedTek on December 18, 2011, 05:07:42 PM
Range Changes I hope to see in my life time.

1. Longer Hours at least on the weekend.
2. Clearer set of rules.
3. more parking or better established parking areas.

What would you guys like to see?
Title: Re: Kokohead Shooting Complex Closed 12/17/11
Post by: Inspector on December 18, 2011, 05:53:11 PM
Is someone updating the website at all? It would be nice if we could be kept updated on hours, days off and status of the roof and maybe any conditions that might close the range down for a day or more.

I missed my day at the range today!  >:( >:( >:( I was busy working around the house and lost track of time. By the time I saw the range was open it was 1:30pm!  :o :o :o
Title: Re: Kokohead Shooting Complex Closed 12/17/11
Post by: Heavies on December 18, 2011, 07:06:11 PM
Range Changes I hope to see in my life time.

1. Longer Hours at least on the weekend.
2. Clearer set of rules.
3. more parking or better established parking areas.

What would you guys like to see?

All of the above + better restrooms, frequent upkeep and maintenance, longer range.
Most of all an other range on the westside! 8)

Title: Re: Kokohead Shooting Complex Closed 12/17/11
Post by: Heavies on December 18, 2011, 07:09:23 PM
Is someone updating the website at all? It would be nice if we could be kept updated on hours, days off and status of the roof and maybe any conditions that might close the range down for a day or more.

I missed my day at the range today!  >:( >:( >:( I was busy working around the house and lost track of time. By the time I saw the range was open it was 1:30pm!  :o :o :o

The website put up and payed for by a volunteer who worked at the range. Unfortunately, he does not work there anymore, from what I've heard.  :(
Title: Re: Kokohead Shooting Complex Closed 12/17/11
Post by: Heavies on December 18, 2011, 07:13:58 PM
this is complete bullshit! Please can we get some funds for OUR LOCAL RANGE! 

Work those city reps!  Let them know that you want your tax dollars spent on this park.
Here is the contact info. Drop them a line.  :thumbsup:
http://www1.honolulu.gov/council/ccl.htm (http://www1.honolulu.gov/council/ccl.htm)
Title: Re: Kokohead Shooting Complex Closed 12/17/11
Post by: SpeedTek on December 18, 2011, 07:53:33 PM
Range Changes I hope to see in my life time.

1. Longer Hours at least on the weekend.
2. Clearer set of rules.
3. more parking or better established parking areas.

What would you guys like to see?

All of the above + better restrooms, frequent upkeep and maintenance, longer range.
Most of all an other range on the westside! 8)

About the restrooms. Thank you to whomever puts a bar of soap in there.
I gotta remember to bring and replace a bar next time.
Title: Re: Kokohead Shooting Complex Closed 12/17/11
Post by: Inspector on December 18, 2011, 07:58:51 PM
Is someone updating the website at all? It would be nice if we could be kept updated on hours, days off and status of the roof and maybe any conditions that might close the range down for a day or more.

I missed my day at the range today!  >:( >:( >:( I was busy working around the house and lost track of time. By the time I saw the range was open it was 1:30pm!  :o :o :o

The website put up and payed for by a volunteer who worked at the range. Unfortunately, he does not work there anymore, from what I've heard.  :(
Does anyone know if he is going to keep the site updated? Does he want to continue to keep paying for the domain name and hosting?
Title: Re: Kokohead Shooting Complex Closed 12/17/11
Post by: Old Guy on December 19, 2011, 08:30:11 AM
Do NOT get the Wife started on the "restrooms".

She has a bad hip. 

We know another couple whose wife uses a wheelchair.

You'll see them helping at the HRA table during the different Fairs.

Range is defineately Not Handi-Capped friendly.
Title: Re: Kokohead Shooting Complex Closed 12/17/11
Post by: Antithesis on December 19, 2011, 09:25:51 AM
Sounds like grounds for a lawsuit. 
Title: Re: Kokohead Shooting Complex Closed 12/17/11
Post by: Old Guy on December 19, 2011, 11:26:21 AM
Just wondering, has anyone Seen the Budget for the Range?

How many Full time employees and Part time?

Since the range has shorter hours, are the Full time workers stil getting the same pay?

Or has their pay been cut back in keeping wit the hours actually Open?

Interesting to see what provisions there are in the Budget for Maintenance, Repairs and Others.

About the $15 per hour fee, will there be a sign-in/out form for the various clubs to fill into Ensure the Range Person was there the

entire time that particular club used the range? Just like HPD special Duty officer(s) when they go to a job requiring a SD Officer.
Title: Re: Kokohead Shooting Complex Closed 12/17/11
Post by: Funtimes on December 19, 2011, 08:34:17 PM
Just wondering, has anyone Seen the Budget for the Range?

How many Full time employees and Part time?

Since the range has shorter hours, are the Full time workers stil getting the same pay?

Or has their pay been cut back in keeping wit the hours actually Open?

Interesting to see what provisions there are in the Budget for Maintenance, Repairs and Others.

About the $15 per hour fee, will there be a sign-in/out form for the various clubs to fill into Ensure the Range Person was there the

entire time that particular club used the range? Just like HPD special Duty officer(s) when they go to a job requiring a SD Officer.

This is being ran as $15 dollar a hour range use fee, not attendant fee.

I don't think this is in the regulations anywhere I have seen.
Title: Kokohead Shooting Complex Closed 12/17/11
Post by: vooduchikn on December 19, 2011, 08:49:56 PM
Given this is a state run facility, wouldnt this fee approval be subject to a vote?
Title: Re: Kokohead Shooting Complex Closed 12/17/11
Post by: Heavies on December 19, 2011, 08:59:10 PM
I thought it was set In stone already. There was supposed to be some kind of meeting, but this has been posted up for some time.

(http://i1000.photobucket.com/albums/af127/heaviescc/photo-88.jpg)
Title: Re: Kokohead Shooting Complex Closed 12/17/11
Post by: Heavies on December 19, 2011, 09:07:41 PM
Just wondering, has anyone Seen the Budget for the Range?

How many Full time employees and Part time?

Since the range has shorter hours, are the Full time workers stil getting the same pay?

Or has their pay been cut back in keeping wit the hours actually Open?

Interesting to see what provisions there are in the Budget for Maintenance, Repairs and Others.

About the $15 per hour fee, will there be a sign-in/out form for the various clubs to fill into Ensure the Range Person was there the

entire time that particular club used the range? Just like HPD special Duty officer(s) when they go to a job requiring a SD Officer.

(http://i1000.photobucket.com/albums/af127/heaviescc/photo-89.png)
Title: Re: Kokohead Shooting Complex Closed 12/17/11
Post by: SpeedTek on December 19, 2011, 09:23:08 PM
What electricity do they really use unless they light up the place at night.....  ???

Is Recreation = Labor?
Title: Re: Kokohead Shooting Complex Closed 12/17/11
Post by: Mr. Farknocker on December 19, 2011, 10:53:37 PM
KHS is operated by the C & C of Honolulu. It falls in District 4. Councilman Stanley Chang is the councilman for District 4. Call him to voice your concerns.

http://www1.honolulu.gov/council/ccl.htm (http://www1.honolulu.gov/council/ccl.htm)

Title: Re: Kokohead Shooting Complex Closed 12/17/11
Post by: Old Guy on December 19, 2011, 11:51:42 PM
Anything for 2010 or 2011?

How about for FY 2012?

Has anyone actually observed Lead removal being done?
Title: Re: Kokohead Shooting Complex Closed 12/17/11
Post by: onfloat on December 20, 2011, 12:31:26 PM
I'd like to see it open 7 days a week.
Title: Re: Kokohead Shooting Complex Closed 12/17/11
Post by: GZire on December 20, 2011, 01:44:37 PM
What electricity do they really use unless they light up the place at night.....  ???

Is Recreation = Labor?
Electricity is probably lights for the restroom, run the speaker system, run the clays(?).  That being said the expense looks very high.

..........agreed..........what the hell is "Recreation?"

..........and $40k/year for maintenance is actually pretty cheap.  I'm surprised it's that low.




Anything for 2010 or 2011?

How about for FY 2012?

Has anyone actually observed Lead removal being done?
I've never seen lead removal being performed.  Obviously it would have to be during off hours, so unless people go there during the week, there's a 0 chance you'd see that.  The area would also have to be isolated during the removal.  In any case that $3m number is just too nice.  It looks to just be a number that's thrown out there for a budget rather than something that's actually been paid.