2aHawaii

Tools and Uses => Firearms and Accessories => Topic started by: passivekinetic on December 07, 2016, 10:44:54 PM

Title: Interesting 9mm penetration test
Post by: passivekinetic on December 07, 2016, 10:44:54 PM
Results were kinda surprising. Interesting video with good production quality.

9mm Federal
HST 150 gr "Micro" Ammo
HST 147 gr standard pressure
HST 147 gr +P

https://youtu.be/zYTd1lNx_TQ
Title: Re: Interesting 9mm penetration test
Post by: Heavies on December 08, 2016, 08:13:57 AM
Solid performance all around, even from the short barrel.
Title: Re: Interesting 9mm penetration test
Post by: oldfart on December 08, 2016, 09:21:31 AM
Nice video production

I really don't think it makes much difference what bullet weight is used though.
Like anything else it's not the tool, it's the person behind the tool.

Nice video.
Title: Re: Interesting 9mm penetration test
Post by: Surf on December 08, 2016, 10:11:51 AM
Nice video production.  Just shows that quality defensive ammunition these days will all do the job.  But I thought we had that figured out already.  Like old fart says, it is the nut behind the trigger that needs to screwed on tight.
Title: Re: Interesting 9mm penetration test
Post by: oldfart on December 08, 2016, 11:15:09 AM
Nice video production.  Just shows that quality defensive ammunition these days will all do the job.  But I thought we had that figured out already.  Like old fart says, it is the nut behind the trigger that needs to screwed on tight.
...
Absolutely

When it comes to handguns and self defense, I actually discourage people from using them UNLESS....
1.  they are willing to practice enough to attain a fair degree of marksmanship
2. They are willing to practice enough to be thoroughly familiar with the chosen tool
3. They have practiced enough with THAT PARTICULAR tool to have total confidence in its RELIABILITY.


But y'all already knew that, right?
Title: Re: Interesting 9mm penetration test
Post by: drck1000 on December 08, 2016, 11:54:07 AM
I enjoyed the video.  I didn't expect for each load to have at least one round exit the gel considering the lower velocities of the 147/150 gr and the short barrel, but good to have a test that shows it either way.

A while ago, a buddy made a ballistic gel block and we tested some various loads on it.  The test didn't turn out quite as expected as the gel was darker/cloudier than the samples in this video, so we had a tough time telling the penetration depth for each individual rounds.  The gel block was actually pretty expensive to make, so I don't see us doing that again.  It would be good to test various loads, calibers, clothing, etc, but that's more for a personal "show me" curiosity as opposed to testing the performance of current JHP ammo. 

I would love to have a backyard like that where I could set up a steel plate and some paper targets.  The night shots were interesting to me as well since I don't get to shoot low/no light very often. 

Title: Re: Interesting 9mm penetration test
Post by: oldfart on December 08, 2016, 01:36:51 PM
It just dawned on me why the 150 gr. Ammo cost more.
It looks like Federal has pulled off à little engineering miracle. :worship:
They made ammunition OPTIMIZED for small carry guns.
Thus the term micro.
They redesigned the round with a different propellant and slightly heavier projectile.
It had less muzzle flash and less felt recoil while keeping virtually identical terminal ballistics.
How they do that? That is why it cost more.

Title: Re: Interesting 9mm penetration test
Post by: passivekinetic on December 08, 2016, 08:29:35 PM
The guy who shoots the video (and the gun LOL) does quality work. But too bad, he is not posting those videos anymore. Apparently, too much work and not enough payback from YouTube. Can't blame him. He seems to have migrated to another video platform.

But anyways, I'm overloaded on politics and such lately, so it is nice to get back into shooting topics! I looked through some of his other videos and here is another great one.

Again, you'd be surprised (and pleased) at the real world results!

https://youtu.be/c8gm7ZTkDxc
Title: Re: Interesting 9mm penetration test
Post by: Heavies on December 08, 2016, 08:58:27 PM
I like TNoutdoors vids, he is pretty thorough in his testing, while not scientific the data is better than guessing.  I think one of the reasons he doesn't do many now is because of some health problems. 

Also, a good channel for ammo tests, IMHO, is https://www.youtube.com/user/ShootingTheBull410

Tons of testing on various ammo.
Title: Re: Interesting 9mm penetration test
Post by: passivekinetic on December 08, 2016, 09:48:32 PM
Here's something I hadn't heard of before, polymer ammo:

https://youtu.be/ZHRIC6xqKbs

And another one which shows better cavitation

https://youtu.be/1WW88w0xThY
Title: Re: Interesting 9mm penetration test
Post by: passivekinetic on December 08, 2016, 09:56:25 PM
https://youtu.be/72NNefk6c1s
Title: Re: Interesting 9mm penetration test
Post by: drck1000 on December 09, 2016, 09:20:43 AM
The guy who shoots the video (and the gun LOL) does quality work. But too bad, he is not posting those videos anymore. Apparently, too much work and not enough payback from YouTube. Can't blame him. He seems to have migrated to another video platform.

But anyways, I'm overloaded on politics and such lately, so it is nice to get back into shooting topics! I looked through some of his other videos and here is another great one.

Again, you'd be surprised (and pleased) at the real world results!


That and it will be great to get back to shooting again, at least for me.  I've just been super busy and things hopefully will be slowing down a bit soon.  Will actually be taking a class this weekend. 

I would do more videos if we had ranges that allows more "freedom".  That said, editing videos is a PITA for me.   :(