2aHawaii

General Topics => General Discussion => Topic started by: JuanLikesGuns on March 18, 2018, 12:38:52 PM

Title: Long Range Shooting Practice
Post by: JuanLikesGuns on March 18, 2018, 12:38:52 PM
Hey, first time posting.

I was wondering where I can shoot further than 100yds.

I realize there’s the Puuloa Rifle & Pistol club and the Schofield Rod & gun club but I’m not interested in match shooting, I just want to get more comfortable at 200 and 300 yards.

Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks!
Title: Re: Long Range Shooting Practice
Post by: ren on March 18, 2018, 12:53:40 PM
Puuloa has practice days. Informal but there is some work in pulling targets.
Title: Re: Long Range Shooting Practice
Post by: B.A. Baracus on March 18, 2018, 01:25:04 PM
Schofield Rod & Gun is probably what you're looking for. No match shooting more open shoots. The CR1 Range is 600 meters & anything in between. :shaka:
Title: Re: Long Range Shooting Practice
Post by: rklapp on March 18, 2018, 04:22:02 PM
Butch at FTCS said their handgun course is on a large lot of land that his buddy let's him use. I wonder if it's large enough to hold long range shooting courses? I'll have to ask him next time. A large lot is a relative size in Hawaii.

Welcome to the forum.
Title: Re: Long Range Shooting Practice
Post by: drck1000 on March 18, 2018, 07:26:44 PM
SRGC prob is your best bet if you’re military or are DoD. They have associate memberships available, but last time I heard, they were way down on military and DoD members, so the waitlist for associate was quite long. It’s been almost 2 years since I’ve been a member though.

At CR1, would could shoot out to 600, but you have to let the RSOs know ahead of time if you’re gonna shoot that far. Most folks shot only to 100. Every so often guys would shoot 200, but not that often.

KR3 you can shoot steel out to pretty far. That range isn’t open that often though and there aren’t many shooting positions.
Title: Re: Long Range Shooting Practice
Post by: JuanLikesGuns on March 20, 2018, 02:10:10 AM
SRGC prob is your best bet if you’re military or are DoD. They have associate memberships available, but last time I heard, they were way down on military and DoD members, so the waitlist for associate was quite long. It’s been almost 2 years since I’ve been a member though.

At CR1, would could shoot out to 600, but you have to let the RSOs know ahead of time if you’re gonna shoot that far. Most folks shot only to 100. Every so often guys would shoot 200, but not that often.

KR3 you can shoot steel out to pretty far. That range isn’t open that often though and there aren’t many shooting positions.


Yeah I’m DoD employee, I’m thinking SRGC is going to be my best bet. I think i’ll Head over to their next Wednesday meeting, try to get a feel for the environment.

Thanks again everyone, I appreciate the help.
Title: Re: Long Range Shooting Practice
Post by: drck1000 on March 20, 2018, 07:33:16 AM

Yeah I’m DoD employee, I’m thinking SRGC is going to be my best bet. I think i’ll Head over to their next Wednesday meeting, try to get a feel for the environment.

Thanks again everyone, I appreciate the help.
Cool. If the meetings are still at SR5 (skeet range), you’ll see a bunch of the shotgun guys. Like any group, there are cliques. Don’t let that deter you. The rifle and pistol guys are cool, especially the RSOs and OICs.

You’ll also have to register your firearms. Shafter was most convenient for me for location and available hours.
Title: Re: Long Range Shooting Practice
Post by: Wake27 on March 20, 2018, 08:47:49 PM
Hey, first time posting.

I was wondering where I can shoot further than 100yds.

I realize there’s the Puuloa Rifle & Pistol club and the Schofield Rod & gun club but I’m not interested in match shooting, I just want to get more comfortable at 200 and 300 yards.

Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks!

I’m a member at SRGC and was their “marksmanship instructor” until very recently. PM me if you have questions. It’s rare that you’ll shoot past 100m, at least at the moment.
Title: Re: Long Range Shooting Practice
Post by: Heavies on March 20, 2018, 09:21:30 PM
Cool. If the meetings are still at SR5 (skeet range), you’ll see a bunch of the shotgun guys. Like any group, there are cliques. Don’t let that deter you. The rifle and pistol guys are cool, especially the RSOs and OICs.

You’ll also have to register your firearms. Shafter was most convenient for me for location and available hours.
When did they start requiring you register your firearms?
Title: Re: Long Range Shooting Practice
Post by: drck1000 on March 20, 2018, 09:29:58 PM
When did they start requiring you register your firearms?
2-3 years ago I think. IIRC, it was an Army Hawaii installation thing, as in anyone bringing personal firearms on Army installations had to register. Took the model and serial number info to the Provost Marshall’s office and took maybe 15 mins.
Title: Re: Long Range Shooting Practice
Post by: Heavies on March 20, 2018, 09:35:56 PM
2-3 years ago I think. IIRC, it was an Army Hawaii installation thing, as in anyone bringing personal firearms on Army installations had to register. Took the model and serial number info to the Provost Marshall’s office and took maybe 15 mins.

Huum,  Thanks.  I haven't gone in years.
Title: Re: Long Range Shooting Practice
Post by: WTF?Shane on March 20, 2018, 09:50:39 PM
Butch at FTCS said their handgun course is on a large lot of land that his buddy let's him use. I wonder if it's large enough to hold long range shooting courses? I'll have to ask him next time. A large lot is a relative size in Hawaii.

I thought I was getting good at decrypting acronyms, but I can't figure this one out. What is FTCS?
Title: Re: Long Range Shooting Practice
Post by: rpoL98 on March 21, 2018, 09:51:30 AM
2-3 years ago I think. IIRC, it was an Army Hawaii installation thing, as in anyone bringing personal firearms on Army installations had to register. Took the model and serial number info to the Provost Marshall’s office and took maybe 15 mins.
PMO wants to see the HPD registration.  If it ain't registered with HPD, then you can't register it with the Army.  e.g. long guns before 1994.

whole thing is relevant mostly to "associate" members since they don't have a CAC card to get on base, and they go through the whole vehicle search thing when going on base, including showing the weapons and associated registrations.  And then, of course for regular folks, there's the rare occasional random search.

Lately, there's been some range property realignment at Schofield, so SRGC hasn't been getting CR1 as often, but they've been getting KR3 and KR4 instead.  Thing is in a constant state of flux, I hear.
Title: Re: Long Range Shooting Practice
Post by: drck1000 on March 21, 2018, 12:31:55 PM
PMO wants to see the HPD registration.  If it ain't registered with HPD, then you can't register it with the Army.  e.g. long guns before 1994.

whole thing is relevant mostly to "associate" members since they don't have a CAC card to get on base, and they go through the whole vehicle search thing when going on base, including showing the weapons and associated registrations.  And then, of course for regular folks, there's the rare occasional random search.

Lately, there's been some range property realignment at Schofield, so SRGC hasn't been getting CR1 as often, but they've been getting KR3 and KR4 instead.  Thing is in a constant state of flux, I hear.
That's right.  I couldn't recall if I took the registration because they needed to see or if it was because it had all of the relevant info. 

For the last few years I was a member, I ended up mostly RSOing and didn't shoot.  Probably shot twice after I finally got my guns registered. 

Sucks that they can't get CR1 that often.  I have been told that it changes as the installation CO and range control folks change.  Sad really because that group used to offer quite a bit, then things slowly deteriorated.  I was going often when they had the defensive shooting group, then slowly that got whittled down by restrictions. 
Title: Re: Long Range Shooting Practice
Post by: rklapp on March 21, 2018, 04:04:46 PM
I thought I was getting good at decrypting acronyms, but I can't figure this one out. What is FTCS?
Don't have their card with me but picked it up at the gun show. Firearm Training Certification School. Their office is in Haleiwa.
www.northshoremarksmen.vpweb.com