2aHawaii

General Topics => General Discussion => Topic started by: tim808 on November 17, 2019, 03:22:27 PM

Title: How much is 20 ga birdshot? shotgun for kids
Post by: tim808 on November 17, 2019, 03:22:27 PM
My BIL and I picked up a couple of shotguns and now I’m thinking of a 20 ga for my kids to use.

12 ga birdshot is 0.25/rd

Is 20 ga birdshot about the same?

Basically for trap/skeet
Title: Re: How much is 20 ga birdshot? shotgun for kids
Post by: mrgaf on November 17, 2019, 04:06:02 PM
My BIL and I picked up a couple of shotguns and now I’m thinking of a 20 ga for my kids to use.

12 ga birdshot is 0.25/rd

Is 20 ga birdshot about the same?

Basically for trap/skeet

7.5, 8, 9 for Trap. 9 for skeet. Price is slightly more expensive for 20. There are plenty of semi autos out there and some o/u. Best one I’ve found for kids is a Remington LT-20 youth. I have one and it’s fantastic but if you find one they can be pricy.
Title: Re: How much is 20 ga birdshot? shotgun for kids
Post by: tim808 on November 17, 2019, 04:52:50 PM
Hi Gil,
How much for a case(250) of 20ga?

Case (250) of 12 ga is about $59 and about $62 after taxes

Title: Re: How much is 20 ga birdshot? shotgun for kids
Post by: groveler on November 17, 2019, 05:06:04 PM
My BIL and I picked up a couple of shotguns and now I’m thinking of a 20 ga for my kids to use.

12 ga birdshot is 0.25/rd

Is 20 ga birdshot about the same?

Basically for trap/skeet
How old are the kids?
If 12 and older go with a 12 GA.
I grew up with 12 ga and never had problems with low Base birdshot.
If you shoot skeet an O/U is best as you have two different chokes,
you'll need them.
For trap,  Browning had an Auto5 20 GA.
20 ga costs more,  period!



Title: Re: How much is 20 ga birdshot? shotgun for kids
Post by: mrgaf on November 17, 2019, 05:47:59 PM
Hi Gil,
How much for a case(250) of 20ga?

Case (250) of 12 ga is about $59 and about $62 after taxes

20ga target runs about $6-8 more, depending on brand, location, etc. what grovelor suggested is spot on...20ga o/u would be the best choice for skeet and if over 12 a 12ga would be best and there are plenty of choices out there semi auto or o/u for trap.
Title: Re: How much is 20 ga birdshot? shotgun for kids
Post by: tim808 on November 17, 2019, 06:27:22 PM
Groveler/Gil,
My youngest is 12.  Okay I’ll stick with 12 ga

Thanks for the advice on the o/u.  I’ll read up on them.
Title: Re: How much is 20 ga birdshot? shotgun for kids
Post by: dv808 on November 17, 2019, 06:47:17 PM
12g and 20g Federal target loads cost the same @SEC.  $59.99 + tax per flat of 250 rounds. Stocked in #7.5, #8 and #9 shot.

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

Title: Re: How much is 20 ga birdshot? shotgun for kids
Post by: mrgaf on November 18, 2019, 09:41:16 AM
Tim
One thing that was not mentioned is the length of pull. Younger shooters and women usually need a shorter stock. If you google how to measure LOP it should assist you in choosing a thunder stick that will fit them. When I bought the LT20 youth I also purchased another full size stock so when they grew up or if I wanted to use it it could easily be converted. You can also purchase a slip on sleeve that has a thicker pad to increase LOP.
Title: Re: How much is 20 ga birdshot? shotgun for kids
Post by: Heavies on November 19, 2019, 07:14:22 PM
IMO, 12 ga with light load shells like Remington 7 1/2 7/8oz light load (STS12L8)  recoils less than comparable 20GA loads.  Maybe because 20GA shotguns are lighter than 12GA?

12GA ammo price is cheaper, and easier to find than 20GA.

Title: Re: How much is 20 ga birdshot? shotgun for kids
Post by: tim808 on November 24, 2019, 11:36:02 AM
dv808 - Thanks!  I thought it would cost more.

Gil - Thanks!  The Mave 88 and Win SX1 both have shortened stocks.  I’m short.

Heavies - Is light load 12 ga ammo expensive?  The SEC 12 ga is .25/round.

Does regular 12 ga have more recoil than 20 ga ammo?   Or about the same recoil since the 12 ga shotgun is heavier?

Does using a gas semi make a big difference?  Win SX1 and soon to arrive Moss 930 are gas. 

Heaviest kid is about 170-180.  Lightest 125-130.  The youngest is 12 and about 145
Title: Re: How much is 20 ga birdshot? shotgun for kids
Post by: mrgaf on November 24, 2019, 04:33:53 PM
dv808 - Thanks!  I thought it would cost more.

Gil - Thanks!  The Mave 88 and Win SX1 both have shortened stocks.  I’m short.

Heavies - Is light load 12 ga ammo expensive?  The SEC 12 ga is .25/round.

Does regular 12 ga have more recoil than 20 ga ammo?   Or about the same recoil since the 12 ga shotgun is heavier?

Does using a gas semi make a big difference?  Win SX1 and soon to arrive Moss 930 are gas. 

Heaviest kid is about 170-180.  Lightest 125-130.  The youngest is 12 and about 145

Target  2 3/4”/2 3/4 dram 12ga are pretty light recoiling.  20ga Target, 2 3/4”/2 1/2 dram 7/8 oz #8 or 9 are also nice. Semi will recoil less than a pump, o/u or s/s..... firearm weight, choke will also be a factor.
Title: Re: How much is 20 ga birdshot? shotgun for kids
Post by: Heavies on November 24, 2019, 06:10:11 PM
dv808 - Thanks!  I thought it would cost more.

Gil - Thanks!  The Mave 88 and Win SX1 both have shortened stocks.  I’m short.

Heavies - Is light load 12 ga ammo expensive?  The SEC 12 ga is .25/round.

Does regular 12 ga have more recoil than 20 ga ammo?   Or about the same recoil since the 12 ga shotgun is heavier?

Does using a gas semi make a big difference?  Win SX1 and soon to arrive Moss 930 are gas. 

Heaviest kid is about 170-180.  Lightest 125-130.  The youngest is 12 and about 145

Recoil is all about velocity and shot mass vs mass of the gun.  Light shot at a lower velocity will recoil less.
Heavy gun with light shot and low velocity will recoil even less than that.

So all things being equal, a 20ga load of 7/8 oz shot, flying at 1100 FPS, out of a 5 lb gun will feel stouter than a 12ga 7/8 oz shot, at 1100 fps out of a 8 lb gun. 

That Remington load I ordered from Kaleo Arms, IIRC it was about 95 a case. Not cheap but not breaking the bank either. One year of cowboy action and I've only used 2/3 of the case.
Title: Re: How much is 20 ga birdshot? shotgun for kids
Post by: tim808 on November 24, 2019, 06:23:16 PM
Hi Gil,
Thank for the info.

By the way, thanks for the advice on the Tristars.  I’ll be getting a semi and a pump for the kids.

Hi Heavies,
Is that a case of 250 rounds?  If so, that isn’t too bad.
I’m getting another gas semi and another pump.  I’ll have 3 gas semis and 2 pumps soon.  My girls and I can use the semis and their boyfriends can use the pumps.   I won’t mention that the pumps will have more recoil :-)

If the girls complain about the recoil with the gas semis, I’ll order the light loads for them the next time.  Boyfriends still get the pumps and the regular loads.  :-)
Title: Re: How much is 20 ga birdshot? shotgun for kids
Post by: mrgaf on November 24, 2019, 07:03:10 PM
Anytime...
I’ll be at the trap range next Sunday, weather permitting. If you want, we can meet up. If so, will let you know what time. :shaka:
Title: Re: How much is 20 ga birdshot? shotgun for kids
Post by: dv808 on November 24, 2019, 07:35:37 PM
I grew up hunting in Hawaii.   Deer and sheep with rifle and upland bird & a ton of dove/pigeon w/shotgun.   No longer have my late grandfather's connections so the hunts are less often and a lot more expensive.

My grandfather got rid of his 12g's so we used 20g,  28g and .410 for everything. I try to use them at the kokohead skeet range and sometimes trap.

Isn't shooting light 7/8oz load 12g the same as shooting std 7/8oz 20g?   You wouldn't be taking advantage of the increase in shot count of a std 1-1/8oz 12g.

If you can handle the 12g recoil, shoot the std loads.   Otherwise, use the 20g and appreciate the lighter boxes of ammo in your shooting pouch.  Make sure the appropriate chokes are too.   Skeet chokes aren't the best option for trap.  I personally would rather carry a sub-6lb firearm so that's what I'd choose.  If you're just gonna stand at a bunch of stations and shoot clays,  it's a lot easier to carry a heavier  gun and box of std load 12g.

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk