2aHawaii
Tools and Uses => Firearms and Accessories => Topic started by: tatonka on November 10, 2012, 09:53:06 PM
-
I've had this mighty fine 870 Wingmaster since I was 16. In fact it was my bday present from my grandfather that year. It's always been a blast to shoot. It's always done it's job. Now it has a new job: home defense.
(http://i1206.photobucket.com/albums/bb447/macdiesel78/2012-11-04_19-32-00_714.jpg)
This will be cool.
I got a box from Magpul today.
(http://i1206.photobucket.com/albums/bb447/macdiesel78/2012-11-10_17-57-12_657.jpg)
(http://i1206.photobucket.com/albums/bb447/macdiesel78/2012-11-10_17-57-03_30.jpg)
(http://i1206.photobucket.com/albums/bb447/macdiesel78/2012-11-10_17-56-42_224.jpg)
FYI, that's a SureFire Scout (Thanks OGC!!!)
The rest is on the way from Midway. Should arrive towards the end of the month. Here's a sneak peek of what's to come.
20" Remington Tactical Barrel in Tan
(http://i1206.photobucket.com/albums/bb447/macdiesel78/998413.jpg)
Remington +3 tube
(http://i1206.photobucket.com/albums/bb447/macdiesel78/492775.jpg)
Scattergun Tech (Wilson Combat) Follower
(http://i1206.photobucket.com/albums/bb447/macdiesel78/266869.jpg)
AND the all important, absolutely must have heat sheild... heh heh
(http://i1206.photobucket.com/albums/bb447/macdiesel78/617831.jpg)
Also on the list is a park job on the blued stuff, Scattergun Tech Big Button Safety, side saddle, GG&G Sling QD, and possibly a XS Big Dot bead.
If anyone has a local lead on this stuff let me know. THANKS!
-
Looking good! :thumbsup:
-
The Magpul stocks are awesome! If you can't install these, you shouldn't own the gun they go on. ...just sayin'.... it's that simple. Oh and they come with all the needed tools sans screwdrivers. If you've been looking at these and have questions, please ask.
The grips are extremely ergonomic. It actually tightened the action up a bit. I did install one of the four included stock shims to get the length of pull just right. Also, I had to move the light one slot back from the front because it was pointing too low.
-
That's what I love about 870's.
They're so adaptable.
Nice shotgun. :thumbsup:
-
Thank you for posting the pics tatonka. I have not shot my 870 for years. I now have a possible project to do.
-
Thanks guys!
Glad to hear you're diggin' it. If you're not, speak up. I can take it.
Shotguns are often forgotten for some reason. Take out that old fence post and use it!
-
I finally got the parts in. The barrel shroud won't work due to the magpul forend. I could trim either one down but its not really worth it... oh well.
What do you think?
(http://i1206.photobucket.com/albums/bb447/macdiesel78/2012-11-23_15-36-42_292.jpg)
-
Nice! How does it feel compared to stock?
-
Wow, that looks amazing. Howzit shoot?
-
Ive read around and some online reviews say that doing mods require a gunsmith for most mods. Is that true for the mods that you did?
-
Little tacticooled out for me but have fun!
-
Nice! How does it feel compared to stock?
Much handier feeling. Very quick pointing. I also have a bit more conference in its ruggedness where before I was always really careful with it. It was too pretty.
Wow, that looks amazing. Howzit shoot?
Not sure yet. I hope to get it to the range this week though.
Ive read around and some online reviews say that doing mods require a gunsmith for most mods. Is that true for the mods that you did?
No gunsmithing required. Its just reassembly with different parts.
-
Very nice.
-
Dang, that's nice, man! Too bad your shoulder-thing-that-goes-up wouldn't fit, I think I'd have taken the Dremel to it to make it fit, if no other reason than to piss off Carolyn McCarthy.
-
Dang, that's nice, man! Too bad your shoulder-thing-that-goes-up wouldn't fit, I think I'd have taken the Dremel to it to make it fit, if no other reason than to piss off Carolyn McCarthy.
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
-
Dude I just saw that ridiculous video. Unfreakin real!!! Next thing you know she'll add carry handles to the list.
-
I just whispered "Oooh sexy" out loud when looking at your shotgun pictures. The girlfriend gave the screen a suspicious glance, rolled her eyes and then went back to work. :P
-
HAHAHA nice. They just don't understand do they?
-
I got to get out and shoot the 870 today.
Its shoots great. The magpul furniture really lends itself to the push/pull method, and its nice on your cheek. I pattered it with federal tactical 00. It made double fisted patterns at 25 yds. Lawman target loads... not so much.... huge patterns at 7 yards. I highly recommend all the mods. Everything works really well for the intended purpose.
(http://i1206.photobucket.com/albums/bb447/macdiesel78/IMG952012113095133109.jpg)
-
Not sure if I mentioned it yet but, look in the picture, you can see the tan barrel doesn't quite match the magpul fde. I dig it though. More contrast.
-
FYI- magnum = at most 15 yards, not 25
not trying to be a jerk or anything, just to let you know
aloha
steve
ps- cool shotty
I got to get out and shoot the 870 today.
Its shoots great. The magpul furniture really lends itself to the push/pull method, and its nice on your cheek. I pattered it with federal tactical 00. It made double fisted patterns at 25 yds. Lawman target loads... not so much.... huge patterns at 7 yards. I highly recommend all the mods. Everything works really well for the intended purpose.
(http://i1206.photobucket.com/albums/bb447/macdiesel78/IMG952012113095133109.jpg)
-
It's all good. Is it really only 15 yards? I stand corrected.
-
FYI- magnum = at most 15 yards, not 25
not trying to be a jerk or anything, just to let you know
aloha
steve
ps- cool shotty
It's all good. Is it really only 15 yards? I stand corrected.
The practical effective range of a open choke/cyl bore barrel, using 2-3/4" 00 buck IS within 25 yards...35-40 yards using magnums. The difference between 18" or 20" barrel length is negligible. Different brands of ammo will produce varying patterns, but you should be able to get a 30" pattern (or less) at 25 even with the cheap stuff.
I've consistently shot 8-10" patterns with Hornady TAP 00 Buck and 12-18" patterns with Federal LE 00 Buck (low recoil) at 25 yds. Using bargain Estate 00, it goes to 24-36". All of which are considered "effective" at 25 yds.
-
This is why it's prudent to try out different brands of ammo with your particular firearm.
Different guns like different ammo and will shoot very different groups with different brands.
On a side note, my 870 shoots fist sized groups at 15 yards with Remington LE '00
-
This is why it's prudent to try out different brands of ammo with your particular firearm.
Different guns like different ammo and will shoot very different groups with different brands.
On a side note, my 870 shoots fist sized groups at 15 yards with Remington LE '00
So true...All of my 870's & 590's do better w/ Federal (LE127), but my Benelli's prefer Remington.