2aHawaii

Tools and Uses => Firearms and Accessories => Topic started by: digital808 on April 16, 2013, 03:21:54 PM

Title: AR Mags
Post by: digital808 on April 16, 2013, 03:21:54 PM
Just got me a very basic AR.  Store took my mags that came with it and replaced it with 10rd mags becase I wasn't LE.  Please educate me on what is legal and what is NOT legal because I see alot of stores selling 30rd mags.  I understand the pistol 10rd limit but I don't understand the rifle mag limit.
Title: Re: AR Mags
Post by: moosed on April 16, 2013, 03:25:44 PM
This ought'a be good!   :popcorn:
Title: Re: AR Mags
Post by: ren on April 16, 2013, 03:27:40 PM
What store was this? The only store that tried to pull that to me was Security Equipment.
Title: Re: AR Mags
Post by: dirsh on April 16, 2013, 03:32:06 PM
Sec has been the only shop that refused to sell me 30 rnd AR mags
Title: Re: AR Mags
Post by: digital808 on April 16, 2013, 03:34:48 PM
What store was this? The only store that tried to pull that to me was Security Equipment.

Bingo
Title: Re: AR Mags
Post by: ren on April 16, 2013, 03:45:18 PM
I posted the question in their section. Did you pay for the 30s?
Title: Re: AR Mags
Post by: drck1000 on April 16, 2013, 03:47:47 PM
Bingo
They did the same for me.  My DDM4 came with a 30 round PMag, but they swapped it out with a 10 round steel Pro Mag (which is just an ok mag).  I understand their policy and I was ok with it. 

As to what is legal and why some shops choose to sell certain mags, there are tons of threads on here discussing that. 
Title: Re: AR Mags
Post by: digital808 on April 16, 2013, 03:50:36 PM
They did the same for me.  My DDM4 came with a 30 round PMag, but they swapped it out with a 10 round steel Pro Mag (which is just an ok mag).  I understand their policy and I was ok with it. 

As to what is legal and why some shops choose to sell certain mags, there are tons of threads on here discussing that.

Yeah!  Im trying to find those threads! 

As for legality.....I suppose SEC is just following what their interprentation of the law is! 
Title: Re: AR Mags
Post by: digital808 on April 16, 2013, 03:52:05 PM
I posted the question in their section. Did you pay for the 30s?

I not sure if the price was for the 30's.  Didn't know they were gonna swap them! 
Title: Re: AR Mags
Post by: ren on April 16, 2013, 04:05:04 PM
They did the same for me.  My DDM4 came with a 30 round PMag, but they swapped it out with a 10 round steel Pro Mag (which is just an ok mag).  I understand their policy and I was ok with it. 

As to what is legal and why some shops choose to sell certain mags, there are tons of threads on here discussing that.
Pmags are worth more than the Pro Mags
Title: Re: AR Mags
Post by: Jess on April 16, 2013, 04:33:25 PM
I am confused on the law myself.  They say pistol mags are restricted to 10 rounds.  An AR (rifle config) is allowed to have a 30 round+ mag considering an AR can be converted to an AR pistol.  so with that reasoning why cant my sub 2k that takes glock mags, why couldnt i use a 33round glock mag in it as long as I use it in the rifle exclusively.  especially if I dont own a glock 17?   :shaka:
Title: Re: AR Mags
Post by: drck1000 on April 16, 2013, 04:41:17 PM
Yeah!  Im trying to find those threads! 

As for legality.....I suppose SEC is just following what their interprentation of the law is!
Interesting. I just did a search for them and couldn't find one. There was discussion of pinning one, but don't see any. The question seems to come up every month or so.
Title: Re: AR Mags
Post by: drck1000 on April 16, 2013, 04:42:53 PM
Pmags are worth more than the Pro Mags
At the time, PMags were going for around $15 each. I think the price tag on the Pro Mags were actually more. I wouldn't pay more for a Pro Mag though. In the end, they had the gun that I wanted, so I went with it.
Title: Re: AR Mags
Post by: OldFaithful on April 16, 2013, 05:21:34 PM
.
Title: Re: AR Mags
Post by: xer 21 on April 16, 2013, 05:47:19 PM
well, guess you'll just have to shop around for 30's.

i heard bad things about promags, so i'd at least shop around for better 10's.  i've never used a promag, but they dont have the best rep.
Title: Re: AR Mags
Post by: Jl808 on April 16, 2013, 07:31:08 PM
YG refused to sell 30 rounders too.
Title: Re: AR Mags
Post by: coldpaint on April 16, 2013, 08:15:35 PM
old school local gun stores do not, the new ones do.
Title: Re: AR Mags
Post by: ImKu on April 16, 2013, 09:09:03 PM
Just got me a very basic AR.  Store took my mags that came with it and replaced it with 10rd mags becase I wasn't LE.  Please educate me on what is legal and what is NOT legal because I see alot of stores selling 30rd mags.  I understand the pistol 10rd limit but I don't understand the rifle mag limit.

This on just one of the many threads in regards to this topic.  I've asked LGS's that I frequent what their policy is due to my own curiosity.  Each to their own interpretation and all were polite when the question was asked.  All I can say is use your own discretion
If I've followed the threads correctly... Congrats on your first AR :thumbsup:

http://2ahawaii.com/index.php?topic=1292.0 (http://2ahawaii.com/index.php?topic=1292.0)
Title: Re: AR Mags
Post by: wirecounter on April 16, 2013, 09:09:46 PM
Yeah!  Im trying to find those threads! 

Enjoy . . . http://2ahawaii.com/index.php?topic=1292.msg9129#msg9129 (http://2ahawaii.com/index.php?topic=1292.msg9129#msg9129)

As for legality.....I suppose SEC is just following what their interprentation of the law is!

Actually, it is the letter of the law as Funtimes clearly points out in the above thread.  Simply because the stupid law is not enforced does not make it any less of a law.
Title: Re: AR Mags
Post by: wirecounter on April 16, 2013, 09:10:17 PM
.
Title: Re: AR Mags
Post by: drck1000 on April 16, 2013, 10:36:28 PM
well, guess you'll just have to shop around for 30's.

i heard bad things about promags, so i'd at least shop around for better 10's.  i've never used a promag, but they dont have the best rep.
Yeah, I've heard bad things about Pro Mags as well. I had a few malfunctions early on, but none for a while and in three different guns. I really only use them to sight in to fit in the Lead Sled.
Title: Re: AR Mags
Post by: gsmgc on April 16, 2013, 10:42:07 PM
SEC, Young Gun's, and WGS, as far as I know.
Title: Re: AR Mags
Post by: digital808 on April 17, 2013, 08:24:05 AM
Enjoy . . . http://2ahawaii.com/index.php?topic=1292.msg9129#msg9129 (http://2ahawaii.com/index.php?topic=1292.msg9129#msg9129)

Actually, it is the letter of the law as Funtimes clearly points out in the above thread.  Simply because the stupid law is not enforced does not make it any less of a law.

I trust Chris!  He has his stuff together!  Best bet.....stick with 10rd mags!  Better safe than sorry!
Title: Re: AR Mags
Post by: xer 21 on April 17, 2013, 04:19:39 PM
I trust Chris!  He has his stuff together!  Best bet.....stick with 10rd mags!  Better safe than sorry!

youʻll be fine with 30ʻs either way.  i dont think theyʻll ever do anything.
Title: Re: AR Mags
Post by: OldFaithful on December 14, 2016, 11:42:42 PM
.
Title: Re: AR Mags
Post by: Bushido on December 20, 2016, 12:20:51 PM
I bought a 30 locally. I had to fill out and sign a release form stating I didn't also own a AR pistol.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Title: Re: AR Mags
Post by: whynow? on December 21, 2016, 08:02:45 PM
I bought a 30 locally. I had to fill out and sign a release form stating I didn't also own a AR pistol.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Wow, where was this?  I never had this happen here.   I also never can own an AR pistol in HI that  takes detachable mags.