physical preparedness (Read 3297 times)

MMM

physical preparedness
« on: September 09, 2013, 08:44:07 AM »
there's a lot of good topics here for preparedness but, i was wondering how many people are physically and mentally prepared. the rude awakening came several years ago when i went on a simple hike and just couldn't push myself to finish. also, my shoulders were in such pain that i was afraid to lift my arms above my head because of the pain. in a SHTF situation, i would have rolled over quickly and given up because of my lack of physical strength and endurance. that was some years ago and gone is the sedentary lifestyle i was used to. no smoking(that was the hardest), heavy drinking all the time and eating poorly and replaced with conditioning and proper diet.

question: how important is the physical aspect of people that are preparing?

macsak

Re: physical preparedness
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2013, 08:47:21 AM »
physical is important, but even more so is the mental/psychological aspect to preparing
of course, you make it tougher on yourself mentally and psychologically if you are not in good shape or are in need of medication, so i guess they kinda go hand-in-hand

there's a lot of good topics here for preparedness but, i was wondering how many people are physically and mentally prepared. the rude awakening came several years ago when i went on a simple hike and just couldn't push myself to finish. also, my shoulders were in such pain that i was afraid to lift my arms above my head because of the pain. in a SHTF situation, i would have rolled over quickly and given up because of my lack of physical strength and endurance. that was some years ago and gone is the sedentary lifestyle i was used to. no smoking(that was the hardest), heavy drinking all the time and eating poorly and replaced with conditioning and proper diet.

question: how important is the physical aspect of people that are preparing?

Q

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2013, 11:02:23 AM »
« Last Edit: September 25, 2016, 09:01:26 PM by Q »

macsak

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2013, 11:47:43 AM »
plus, if the zombies come, you don't have to be the fastest, you just cannot be the slowest
http://2ahawaii.com/Smileys/extended/geekdanc.gif

+1

People think they need to be doing special forces crossfit to prepare for SHTF. In all honesty, the most important thing people should be working out is their mind and learning as much self-sufficiency skills and tasks as they can.

Exercise common sense, maintain a good physical standard, and you will be fine.

Darmok and Jalad @Tanagra

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2013, 11:51:21 AM »
plus, if the zombies come, you don't have to be the fastest, you just cannot be the slowest
:geekdanc:

If the zombies do come, I have a list of people I intend to invite into my group .... all of them older and in worse shape than me!

And if that doesn't help, there's always the shot to the knee trick!

:thumbsup:         :geekdanc:         :thumbsup:         :geekdanc:         :thumbsup:
"... the right to be let alone -- the most comprehensive of rights and the right most valued by civilized men."
--Justice Louis D. Brandeis

flaboy808

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2013, 02:34:01 PM »
Top 5 rules from zombie land movie with woody harrelson:

1.  Cardio
2.  The Double Tap
3.  Beware of Bathrooms
4.  Wear Seat Belts
5.  No Attachments
The Supreme Court has ruled that you, as an individual, have no right to protection by the police. Their only obligation is to protect "society".

Q

« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2013, 02:40:13 PM »
« Last Edit: September 25, 2016, 09:01:44 PM by Q »

BUD

« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2013, 02:44:53 PM »
Personally, I would have a few shit bags in my group.

That way, when the time came, I would just shoot them in the legs and walk away; no sense breaking a sweat in a SHTF situation  :thumbsup:

As luck would have it, there is clearly NOT a shortage of shit bags in this world!  :rofl:
It is what it is.

« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2013, 03:04:41 PM »
Personally, I would have a few shit bags in my group.

That way, when the time came, I would just shoot them in the legs and walk away; no sense breaking a sweat in a SHTF situation  :thumbsup:

The problem with having shit bags in your group .... keeping one eye on them so YOU don't take one in the leg first!   :rofl:         :shake:
"... the right to be let alone -- the most comprehensive of rights and the right most valued by civilized men."

Q

« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2013, 04:05:10 PM »
« Last Edit: September 25, 2016, 09:01:50 PM by Q »

« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2013, 04:15:41 PM »
Not if I have them bound and gagged the whole time  :geekdanc:

So, just name all the S Bags in your group, "Chum?"

new guy

« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2013, 07:12:51 PM »
« Last Edit: August 22, 2016, 08:33:32 PM by new guy »
Your mindset is your primary weapon. - Jeff Cooper