Pistol Target Frame Fold Up (Read 5037 times)

Heavies

Pistol Target Frame Fold Up
« on: January 11, 2015, 06:25:09 PM »
Here is my take on a fold up target frame for Kokohead bullseye pistol range.....

Material list:

3 - 1 X 2 X 6ft lumber  ( I made 3 center sections from the 6' lumber, you can opt for a shorter length for one 24" center section )
2 - 1/4 x 20 x 2 1/2" Carriage Bolts (more on this later)
2 - 1/4 x 20 Wing Nuts
2 - 1/4 Flat Washers
4 - Pony Clips

Misc. - wood saw, drill, bits, other stuff that you use to mess with wood.....  ;D

Started by cutting 4 legs for the frame @ 30" and one of the lengths to 24" for the center section of the frame...

With the legs and center cut, I mark and drill the center for the bolt...

I drill the center section first, Center punch the mark so the bit does not wander, and try to get it drilled as square and plumb as possible.... 1/4" bit for 1/4" carriage bolts.....

Then clamp two of the legs to one side of the center piece and drill through all three, using the first hole as a guide....  repeat for the other side....

Insert bolts through all three pieces and hammer the square of the carriage bolt into the wood to prevent turning of bolt when tightening.....

Now on the bolts.... 

Notice I said to use 2 1/2" long bolts....  But how can that be when you said to use 1 x 2 wood?  Because, wood is not really 1" thick x 2" wide....   Why is this, I am not a wood worker, I have no idea..  ::)

Like I said... common sense would dictate 3 1/2" long bolts to go through 3ea.  1" pieces of wood......  NOPE 2 1/2" is good!!!!! ;D

I cut my cardboard to approximately 24" by 13" this way I can use it for this pistol frame and use it to repair the backer of my rifle frame as well...

I use one pair of the Pony Clips to hold the cardboard in place, and the other pair of clips to clip to the steel holders at the range.

When done the frame can be folded up and left in the trunk of the car, so you never forget to bring it with you to the range!

Inspector

Re: Pistol Target Frame Fold Up
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2015, 12:35:51 PM »
Seems like a lot of work to me. I suggest buying a pick-up with a minimum 6' bed. It's easier. You won't need to build something so elaborate!!!  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
SCIENCE THAT CAN’T BE QUESTIONED IS PROPAGANDA!!!

mauidog

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2015, 01:24:18 PM »
Seems like a lot of work to me. I suggest buying a pick-up with a minimum 6' bed. It's easier. You won't need to build something so elaborate!!!  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

A 5' bed works fine!  That's the height the KHSC plans specify for pistol frames.

And I keep my rifle targets that height, too.   :thumbsup:

An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it.   -- Jeff Cooper

Heavies

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2015, 01:36:28 PM »
Nothing elaborate about it.....  6 cuts, two holes drilled.... what could be simpler?   ;D

It took me 1/2 hour with a hand saw, cut that by more than half with a power saw.  I was just lazy to get it out and didn't want to make noise.   ;)

Inspector

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2015, 02:03:23 PM »
Nothing elaborate about it.....  6 cuts, two holes drilled.... what could be simpler?   ;D

It took me 1/2 hour with a hand saw, cut that by more than half with a power saw.  I was just lazy to get it out and didn't want to make noise.   ;)
just built a new one myself. Two cuts, eight screws. Less than 5 minutes. Done. Oh, and if u r like me you need to take an extra clip. I occasionally shoot one and they fly apart. BTW, just giving u a hard time for spending so much time (LOL) on building a frame. Don't take me so seriously next time. LOL
SCIENCE THAT CAN’T BE QUESTIONED IS PROPAGANDA!!!

Heavies

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2015, 03:17:51 PM »
just built a new one myself. Two cuts, eight screws. Less than 5 minutes. Done. Oh, and if u r like me you need to take an extra clip. I occasionally shoot one and they fly apart. BTW, just giving u a hard time for spending so much time (LOL) on building a frame. Don't take me so seriously next time. LOL

No, not taking it serious.  It took longer to upload the pics and do the write up.  Mine is folded up and inside my mini truck box for those spur of the moment trips to the range.  I just thought it might be helpful, I see all kinds of frames there, and many look bulky and cumbersome to transport and store.   

robtmc

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2015, 05:24:28 PM »
I made a similar one, but added hinges so it would fold vertically to fit in my trunk.  Regular hinges on one side, removable pin on the other.  Slip the pin out, slip back in. 

Loosen the wing nuts and it collapses laterally as well.

Of couse, i do not have KHSC at my disposal anymore, so I made a stand out of PVC tubing to make it free standing.  Same with my rifle stand.

paka808

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2015, 05:30:44 PM »
Thanks for the specs and information,i got a project for the weekend.

Teichi

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2015, 02:33:21 PM »
two pieces of wood, 4 screws, and a old mark takai  sign.