Torrential Downpours Flood Out Streets (Read 6946 times)

DesertRangerTycho

Torrential Downpours Flood Out Streets
« on: September 03, 2015, 12:58:06 PM »
Was driving back to the office today in the latest downpour.  It occurred to me how quickly the streets became flooded.  Given a longer sustained rain, roads would quickly become impassible.  What do you have in your car in case the roads become impassible?

Tom_G

Re: Torrential Downpours Flood Out Streets
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2015, 01:05:28 PM »
4WD, ample ground clearance, and know-how.
The difference between theory and reality is that, in theory, there is no difference between theory and reality.

zippz

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2015, 04:27:45 PM »
Footmobile
Join the Hawaii Firearms Coalition at www.hifico.org.  Hawaii's new non-profit gun rights organization focused on lobbying and grassroots activism.

Hawaii Shooting Calendar - https://calendar.google.com/calendar/embed?src=practicalmarksman.com_btllod1boifgpp8dcjnbnruhso%40group.calendar.google.com&ctz=Pacific/Honolulu

aieahound

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2015, 04:40:35 PM »
Footmobile

I was gonna say rubber slippers.  :thumbsup:

808huey

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2015, 11:21:30 PM »
Sudoku puzzles to kill time until conditions gets better

Inspector

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2015, 06:35:40 AM »
I was gonna say rubber slippers.  :thumbsup:
I keep my rubber work boots in my work truck. Almost needed them yesterday when the parking lot flooded.
SCIENCE THAT CAN’T BE QUESTIONED IS PROPAGANDA!!!

whynow?

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2015, 03:27:48 PM »
Extra pair shoes and rubber slippers to wear if feet need to dry out.   Back pack with extra clothes, socks, small AM/FM radio, first aid kit, dried foods, water bottle, poncho, small pry bar type tool, flashlight and most important shishi or piss bottle (empty of course).
Being retired I try to plan my driving around the severe weather.  I need to rotate the water and check the food expiration date.

Heavies

« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2015, 10:57:03 PM »
Amazing how the authorities tout the drainage system on oahu is "acceptable" when a little bit of rain turns town into a complete clusterf*ck.  Wonder how much of a tax hike will be justified,  yet wasted, for this (would have been with proper planing and less pay to play) totally avoidable problem.

DesertRangerTycho

« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2015, 11:28:22 AM »
"The pumps that were used to divert the untreated wastewater were shut down Wednesday afternoon. The 42-inch ruptured sewer line is now back in service. But the damage has already been done."

Amazing to think the pumps would be shut down when flash floods warnings are in effect.  It goes to show the level of incompetence in the City and County and the State.  Personally, my get home bag has goretex rain pants and jacket.  I have no illusions that when the emergency is real (tsunami, Godzilla, Obamacare) the state's response will be even more pathetic, leaving tens of thousands stranded and in harms way.

Amazing how the authorities tout the drainage system on oahu is "acceptable" when a little bit of rain turns town into a complete clusterf*ck.  Wonder how much of a tax hike will be justified,  yet wasted, for this (would have been with proper planing and less pay to play) totally avoidable problem.

mauidog

« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2015, 12:15:31 PM »
"The pumps that were used to divert the untreated wastewater were shut down Wednesday afternoon. The 42-inch ruptured sewer line is now back in service. But the damage has already been done."

Amazing to think the pumps would be shut down when flash floods warnings are in effect.  It goes to show the level of incompetence in the City and County and the State.  Personally, my get home bag has goretex rain pants and jacket.  I have no illusions that when the emergency is real (tsunami, Godzilla, Obamacare) the state's response will be even more pathetic, leaving tens of thousands stranded and in harms way.

Exactly right.  I see no reason to believe any state's emergency responses will differ from the situation in New Orleans with people stranded for days at the Super Dome, or the streets and highways here after a crane hit a foot bridge or two Zip Mobiles have a part fail because nobody on island understood how the electronics work!  (Think about those last two).

Yeah, I have full faith in the government ---  to make a bad situation worse!
An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it.   -- Jeff Cooper

oldfart

« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2015, 06:57:06 AM »
It rained a lot at the range yesterday. While I was there a couple gals had a little centipede crawl on them.
They freaked out, Drakiir saw it, and stomped it into oblivion.

This morning I go into my kitchen and find his cousin sitting on my cutting board. See pic.

I suppose the moral of this story is that when we get heavy rain, those creepy crawlers try to find a new dry place to stay.
Which, unfortunately, is usually inside your house.

I am going to spray around walls and doors now. You might consider doing the same if you have a yard around your house.

Another side effect from a lot of rain is mice. The rain causes a lot of plant growth which creates food for mice. Expect to see a mouse population explosion in the near future.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2015, 07:47:33 AM by oldfart »
What, Me Worry?

DesertRangerTycho

« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2015, 08:48:56 PM »
If you have chickens feed the pedes to them. They love them! :shaka:

It rained a lot at the range yesterday. While I was there a couple gals had a little centipede crawl on them.
They freaked out, Drakiir saw it, and stomped it into oblivion.

This morning I go into my kitchen and find his cousin sitting on my cutting board. See pic.

I suppose the moral of this story is that when we get heavy rain, those creepy crawlers try to find a new dry place to stay.
Which, unfortunately, is usually inside your house.

I am going to spray around walls and doors now. You might consider doing the same if you have a yard around your house.

Another side effect from a lot of rain is mice. The rain causes a lot of plant growth which creates food for mice. Expect to see a mouse population explosion in the near future.

DesertRangerTycho

« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2015, 08:52:28 PM »
Couldn't agree with you more.  :shaka:

quote author=mauidog link=topic=20277.msg183350#msg183350 date=1441750531]
Exactly right.  I see no reason to believe any state's emergency responses will differ from the situation in New Orleans with people stranded for days at the Super Dome, or the streets and highways here after a crane hit a foot bridge or two Zip Mobiles have a part fail because nobody on island understood how the electronics work!  (Think about those last two).

Yeah, I have full faith in the government ---  to make a bad situation worse!
[/quote]