Getting and registering a gun in Hawaii (Read 190310 times)

VarsityShinebox808

Re: Getting and registering a gun in Hawaii
« Reply #540 on: September 03, 2019, 08:37:36 PM »
Hello again. I have another question regarding the check process. I've noticed that a couple pages back there was a hubbub about Kaiser not accepting the medical disclaimer forms if there was even a hint of mental issues. Now that's got me a little nervous because Kaiser is my healthcare provider and I'm not sure if me seeing a private counselor six years back is gonna show up in the background check. Assuming that the worst case comes true and I get denied then what are my options in disputing that I am both stable and healthy?

Flapp_Jackson

Re: Getting and registering a gun in Hawaii
« Reply #541 on: September 03, 2019, 08:51:47 PM »
Hello again. I have another question regarding the check process. I've noticed that a couple pages back there was a hubbub about Kaiser not accepting the medical disclaimer forms if there was even a hint of mental issues. Now that's got me a little nervous because Kaiser is my healthcare provider and I'm not sure if me seeing a private counselor six years back is gonna show up in the background check. Assuming that the worst case comes true and I get denied then what are my options in disputing that I am both stable and healthy?

Rule #1: Don't worry about it until you're denied.  There's nothing you can do upfront to stop it if it's going to happen.

Rule #2:  If Kaiser sends a negative response, they've washed their hands of you in the matter.  No sense in even trying to appeal to your doctor.  it's an administrative process that could flag you for any number of reasons that have nothing to do with fitness to own a firearm, such as counseling for dieting.  If it happens in the Behavioral health clinic, you're at risk of being rejected.

Rule #3:  If rejected by HPD, you need to find an out-of-network (non-Kaiser) physician who is willing to write you a "sanity" letter.  There's one in this forum on the BI, I think.  Others have had their names posted. 

Baby steps.   :shaka:
Liberal:  Someone who is passionately concerned with issues about which they know absolutely nothing.