Anyone on island cerakote? (Read 12491 times)

buckjay

Anyone on island cerakote?
« on: February 13, 2012, 04:11:42 PM »
I have a few USGI mags I was hoping to get cerakoted black or some other variation. Anyone on Oahu have the stuff?

Cougar8045

Re: Anyone on island cerakote?
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2012, 04:45:20 PM »
I have a few USGI mags I was hoping to get cerakoted black or some other variation. Anyone on Oahu have the stuff?
How thick is the cerakote finish?  I've got two Beretta magazines that were left on a piece of damp felt (derp!) and the finish is gone where they were resting on the material.  I keep 'em rust-free with CLP, but the bare metal tests my anti-corrosion resolve dang near daily.  Would cerakote be too thick?
I'm just a fluffy white bunny rabbit who lost his way. 

"If a thief be found breaking in, and be smitten that he die, there shall no blood be shed for him. ..."  -Exodus 22:2

vooduchikn

Anyone on island cerakote?
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2012, 06:21:27 PM »
How thick is the cerakote finish?  I've got two Beretta magazines that were left on a piece of damp felt (derp!) and the finish is gone where they were resting on the material.  I keep 'em rust-free with CLP, but the bare metal tests my anti-corrosion resolve dang near daily.  Would cerakote be too thick?
clear coat em.
Relax, I've banned myself..

Cougar8045

Re: Anyone on island cerakote?
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2012, 06:40:42 PM »
clear coat em.
What would you recommend for clear coat? 
I'm just a fluffy white bunny rabbit who lost his way. 

"If a thief be found breaking in, and be smitten that he die, there shall no blood be shed for him. ..."  -Exodus 22:2

Kingkeoni

Re: Anyone on island cerakote?
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2012, 06:53:26 PM »
clear coat em.
:shake: :shake: :shake:
My sarcasm meter is tingling.
 :shake: :shake: :shake:
Your number one Option for Personal Security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation.

Someday someone may kill you with your own gun, but they should have to beat you to death with it because it is empty.

Kingkeoni

Re: Anyone on island cerakote?
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2012, 07:00:17 PM »
"Bananaclip" on this forum, knows how and has the stuff to refinish metal.  :thumbsup:
Your number one Option for Personal Security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation.

Someday someone may kill you with your own gun, but they should have to beat you to death with it because it is empty.

sirkaiks

Anyone on island cerakote?
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2012, 07:03:42 PM »
:shake: :shake: :shake:
My sarcasm meter is tingling.
 :shake: :shake: :shake:
buahahaha

Cougar8045

Re: Anyone on island cerakote?
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2012, 07:08:10 PM »
I couldn't think of a clear coat product I've seen that seems like it would work...figured it wouldn't hurt to ask for clarification.   Maybe I've been duped.   :wacko:
I'm just a fluffy white bunny rabbit who lost his way. 

"If a thief be found breaking in, and be smitten that he die, there shall no blood be shed for him. ..."  -Exodus 22:2

mongoose

Re: Anyone on island cerakote?
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2012, 07:09:31 PM »
:shake: :shake: :shake:
My sarcasm meter is tingling.
 :shake: :shake: :shake:

I'm dying to know...........

SpeedTek

  • Trade Count: (+44)
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 4749
  • Total likes: 126
  • Car Nut, Machinist, Gunsmith & Monkey
  • Referrals: 2
    • View Profile
    • X-Ring on the WWW
Re: Anyone on island cerakote?
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2012, 10:23:26 PM »
My gunsmith has a few colors. What color did you need? or which finish type?
Political Correctness is FOS
I collect M1 Carbines, PM me if youre selling!
& Bolt Action 308s also 10/22 Rugers.
Buying STOCK Ruger 10/22 parts and bits, PM me.
Now doing Vintage VW Parts!

DonRow

Anyone on island cerakote?
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2012, 06:19:45 AM »
My gunsmith has a few colors. What color did you need? or which finish type?
I would like my whole AR FDE. how much does he charge?

Funtimes

Re: Anyone on island cerakote?
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2012, 06:33:41 PM »
I would like my whole AR FDE. how much does he charge?

I echo this, but with a 1911.
Check out the Hawaii Defense Foundation.
HDF on Facebook
Defender of the Accused in Arkansas Courts
Posts are not legal advice & are my own, unless said so.

Dblnaknak

Re: Anyone on island cerakote?
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2012, 06:48:44 PM »
E-tac does a type of coating. I don't know if it's cerakote but it looks pretty durable. I believe they are located in waipahu. He also does gunsmithing.

DonRow

Anyone on island cerakote?
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2012, 09:37:07 PM »
Hmmmm (Scratching Chin)

BananaClip

Re: Anyone on island cerakote?
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2012, 10:11:41 AM »
Take the mag apart, clean the parts you are going to paint with dishwashing soap (preferably Dawn).

Then light sand with sand paper to give the paint something to grab on to...

Clean again with (Dawn) and acetone... Stay safe and use gloves and work with good ventilation...

Then stuff papertowel or toilet paper inside the mag where you don't want paint to go...

Then tape off all the other parts you don't want painted...

Spray light even coats... Wait about 10min between coats.. A heat gun between coats works good...

Depends what color you want, I buy Duplicolor heat resistant ceramic engine paint...

I hope this will help a little.. It's just suggestions..

Have fun.. Before you know it, you'll be painting everything!!

 
« Last Edit: February 16, 2012, 10:17:38 AM by BananaClip »
"In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth"- Genesis1:1 KJV

"The Truth Shall Set You Free"

"Once Blind But Now i See"

dogman

Re: Anyone on island cerakote?
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2013, 09:51:43 PM »
Any new information?

suka

Re: Anyone on island cerakote?
« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2013, 10:45:38 PM »
  heat resistant ceramic engine paint...
Bake them in oven as per instructions. Its hard and durable, but use thin coats.

TastesLikeMetal

Re: Anyone on island cerakote?
« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2013, 11:09:29 PM »
Wow... Original post is almost 2 years old ;D  Check Moore's Tactical Coatings in the Vendors forums, they do Ceracoat.

dogman

Re: Anyone on island cerakote?
« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2013, 08:12:39 AM »
Wow... Original post is almost 2 years old ;D  Check Moore's Tactical Coatings in the Vendors forums, they do Ceracoat.

 MAHALO !