Water filters for out of country? (Read 2917 times)

Rocky

Re: Water filters for out of country?
« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2018, 07:32:35 PM »
Make your own.

This is all i use now.

HEY !
What happened to the do it yourself Berkey you asked me about ?
“I ask you to judge me by the enemies I have made.”
                                                           Franklin D. Roosevelt

Rocky

« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2018, 07:36:27 PM »
    My friends do Vietnam, Cambodia and such several times a year.
They Love it there. Feel very safe.
Always hiking to the back side and up country
Bottled water aplenty all over and that's all they drink.
Bring plenty of CRISP $1 dollar bills for tips and you'll be treated lie a king !
“I ask you to judge me by the enemies I have made.”
                                                           Franklin D. Roosevelt

Q

« Reply #22 on: June 07, 2018, 09:02:40 PM »
I don’t think i would want my relatives to travel on a plane with something that resembles a very  suspicious looking pipe in their luggage. Even a life straw sounds more efficient than this home made filter/pipe bomb.

If looks are important to you, suck it up and buy a straw. If something that has been proven for over a decade in the jungles of south america and can easily fabricated from simple materials is better, use the Colhane design. To me,  functionality and being able to make something from scratch for cheap is more important than how something looks.

Also, the life straw isnt more efficient, because you still need to sterilize the water either chemically or with boiling to Ensure it is safe; Same with this filter. I have personally filtered and chemically sterilized 2 gallons of lepto rich water in less than an hour with the Colhane filter and a makeshift funnel attachment, so not sure where you are getting the idea that this filter is inefficient.

And being that Dave McIntyre travels to South America yearly with this filter, its highly unlikely it will be mistaken as a pipe bomb; especially if you exercise common sense and disassemble it before taking it on the plane.

mangosteenqueen

« Reply #23 on: June 07, 2018, 10:03:14 PM »
Lol was that a pun?

Pretty plain and simple, I just don’t want them to leave the state without any problems and they’re not the bushcraft adventurer kind of people and I’m not expecting them to do anything as extreme as wading through the jungle or drink water out of a river.

The DIY video is pretty neat, and I’m sure that knowledge will come in handy for me and I’ll take it to consideration but not in this case because the straw or similar devices available on the market will do just as fine as the McIntyre filter if you say so, it’s just not as reusable once it’s “expired” compared to the McIntyre filter where you can head down to the store and buy replacement fingers and activated carbon. They’re just gonna be there for like 2-3 weeks and probably won’t travel there again for another year or few, so I can’t really justify buying the materials and the time to make the DIY filter for them if it’s just gonna be for that time frame.

Nothing has been purchased, it’s just sitting in the amazon cart and I’m just gonna let them decide if they need it or not. I’m confident they’ll be getting bottled water anyway but hell I’ll probably suggest them to pack some stuff to chemically purify their water.

zippz

« Reply #25 on: July 16, 2018, 11:06:58 PM »
This one looks better fhan the lifestraw and goes on sale at 3:44am (not sure if EST or HST).  It filters 0.05 which removes lepto and viruses which the lifestraw wont do.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06WWQMRFY/ref=gbps_tit_m-8_b1a1_c20db175?pf_rd_p=1e60991e-bcf0-4d90-9cff-cbc52236b1a1&pf_rd_s=merchandised-search-8&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_i=13887280011&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=YCCA5D60EX8W3FP31SQF
Join the Hawaii Firearms Coalition at www.hifico.org.  Hawaii's new non-profit gun rights organization focused on lobbying and grassroots activism.

Hawaii Shooting Calendar - https://calendar.google.com/calendar/embed?src=practicalmarksman.com_btllod1boifgpp8dcjnbnruhso%40group.calendar.google.com&ctz=Pacific/Honolulu

drck1000

« Reply #26 on: July 17, 2018, 08:08:51 AM »
This one looks better fhan the lifestraw and goes on sale at 3:44am (not sure if EST or HST).  It filters 0.05 which removes lepto and viruses which the lifestraw wont do.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06WWQMRFY/ref=gbps_tit_m-8_b1a1_c20db175?pf_rd_p=1e60991e-bcf0-4d90-9cff-cbc52236b1a1&pf_rd_s=merchandised-search-8&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_i=13887280011&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=YCCA5D60EX8W3FP31SQF
Already have a bunch of Life Straws, but ordered a couple more anyways.  Also ordered one of these.  Thanks for the heads up. 

macsak

« Reply #27 on: July 17, 2018, 08:21:08 AM »
Already have a bunch of Life Straws, but ordered a couple more anyways.  Also ordered one of these.  Thanks for the heads up.

heads