Moving to Honolulu from Pennsylvania (Read 2313 times)

changemyoil66

Re: Moving to Honolulu from Pennsylvania
« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2018, 08:40:30 PM »
So the guy went to HPD to get his gun back after the cops confiscated it off his brother during a DV dispute. I wonder how long the guy had been in Hawaii with his gun? The cops were more concerned about ownership than the fact it was unregistered? Makes me wonder what happened after you left.
Maybe he got a summons in the mail later on. But it seemed the guys at the counter just wanted proof and was gonna let him come back.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

2ahavvaii

« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2018, 03:38:36 PM »
no need for locked box.  any commercially produced case for firearms is ok.  I've used gun socks before.  I've even brought new firearms in their original card board boxes as they come from the factory, etc.

2ahavvaii

« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2018, 03:41:40 PM »
for proof of purchase XX years ago, if you bought direct from a manufacturer, they might have info on the purchase if you pay them to pull the serial.

- not suggesting this, but to get around the BS of not having paperwork, if you know someone on the mainland,  they could write you up an invoice for the firearm, that is your proof of ownership.  you could even register it in your state first for further paperwork. Even better if they're a FFL.   Probably not exactly correct legally .

2ahavvaii

« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2018, 03:43:39 PM »
if some of your firearms aren't squeaky clean, definitely do not bring them to HPD.  They'll likely get taken away, and you'll likely get harrassed for it. 

Dont bring mags or clips to the police station, it's totally unnecessary and can only cause problems for yourself and them.

2ahavvaii

« Reply #24 on: August 16, 2018, 03:46:30 PM »
I've never heard of a penalty being levied for failure to meet the 5 day deadline within a reasonable timeframe. That part of the process gives HPD 5 days to wait before they try giving you a gentle reminder.

The law says "Any person who violates section 134-3(a) shall be guilty of a petty misdemeanor".

As with most laws, it's only illegal if you get caught.   :geekdanc:

Since there's no transfer of ownership when bringing from out of state, there's nothing to alert HPD you need to register your guns.

It would take you getting the attention of HPD for some other reason for them to have a reason to check on the gun registration.

In other words, you won't lose your right to have guns if you forget to register.

As always, follow the law.  It's not worth the cost and potential consequences to employment, clearances, and so on to take a chance on not getting caught.

i'm not suggesting it, but i've registered handguns outside the permit window before.  within a reasonable timeframe as you mentioned.

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #25 on: August 16, 2018, 04:38:03 PM »
i'm not suggesting it, but i've registered handguns outside the permit window before.  within a reasonable timeframe as you mentioned.

Many on here have posted they, too, were not prompt in registering.  Some said they received a call from HPD within a week or two of them picking up the firearm to remind them.

They are just glad to get people to comply.  If you wander in with a gun that's 6 months delinquent in registering, I don't think they'll do much more than give you grief and your completed registration.  If they want to be difficult, I guess they could tell you your permit for the handgun expired, and you'll have to reapply for another while they hold onto the pistol.

That's my impression.  I always try to meet the deadlines.   I may have been past the 5 days once by a day or two.  Not a single word was mentioned about that.  YMMV
It is usually futile to try to talk facts and analysis to people who are enjoying a sense of moral superiority in their ignorance.

Inspector

« Reply #26 on: August 17, 2018, 08:18:49 AM »
Many on here have posted they, too, were not prompt in registering.  Some said they received a call from HPD within a week or two of them picking up the firearm to remind them.

They are just glad to get people to comply.  If you wander in with a gun that's 6 months delinquent in registering, I don't think they'll do much more than give you grief and your completed registration.  If they want to be difficult, I guess they could tell you your permit for the handgun expired, and you'll have to reapply for another while they hold onto the pistol.

That's my impression.  I always try to meet the deadlines.   I may have been past the 5 days once by a day or two.  Not a single word was mentioned about that.  YMMV
I am one of those that the HPD called when I forgot to register a gun I bought from an LGS. It was approximately a month to 6 weeks after I purchased the gun when they called me. I’m getting forgetful in my old age.

2ahavvaii

« Reply #27 on: August 17, 2018, 01:19:12 PM »

I think from a technical standpoint, you're in possession of an unregistered firearm, felony offense.

I think the cops at firearms personally dont care if youre kinda late.  The brass probably does care, but they're not going to make a huge issue out of it.  They already got what they want, a way to track (and chase down) the individuals making the purchase.

If they were to start busting people trying to register their handguns, but a little late, they'd be opening up a whole can of worms where their overall restrictive policy will be examined and opened to legal challenges.  Much like some of the cases winding through CA courts. It is smarter for them to create a PITA policy (to discourage gun ownership),  then choosing not to be harsh in its enforcement otherwise they'll be inviting a lot of anger and lawsuits.

macsak

« Reply #28 on: August 17, 2018, 01:56:42 PM »
I think from a technical standpoint, you're in possession of an unregistered firearm, felony offense.

I think the cops at firearms personally dont care if youre kinda late.  The brass probably does care, but they're not going to make a huge issue out of it.  They already got what they want, a way to track (and chase down) the individuals making the purchase.

If they were to start busting people trying to register their handguns, but a little late, they'd be opening up a whole can of worms where their overall restrictive policy will be examined and opened to legal challenges.  Much like some of the cases winding through CA courts. It is smarter for them to create a PITA policy (to discourage gun ownership),  then choosing not to be harsh in its enforcement otherwise they'll be inviting a lot of anger and lawsuits.

I think in the last year or two they made a law reducing or eliminating the penalty for not bringing in for the last step of registration
the purpose was so that people would still bring them in when they "forgot", because they did not want them to fear it would be seized or they would be arrested

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #29 on: August 17, 2018, 03:36:06 PM »
I think in the last year or two they made a law reducing or eliminating the penalty for not bringing in for the last step of registration
the purpose was so that people would still bring them in when they "forgot", because they did not want them to fear it would be seized or they would be arrested

Correct.  When the legislature expanded registration requirements to include all visitors/tourists bringing firearms, they reduced the penalty to a petty misdemeanor.

As I posted already here, "The law says "Any person who violates section 134-3(a) shall be guilty of a petty misdemeanor". "

Section 134-3(a) applies to guns being brought into Hawaii.  Since this thread is about moving to Hawaii, I posted that section.

Section 134-3(b) applies to acquiring a firearm pursuant to section 134-2 (i.e. buying/transferring a firearm under the Permit to Acquire rules). 

Both are petty misdemeanors, but a resident can have his weapon confiscated and destroyed if he waits another 5 days after notification and fails to register.

§134-17  Penalties.

(a) ... [snip] ...

(b)  Any person who violates section 134-3(a) shall be guilty of a petty misdemeanor.

(c)  Any person who violates section 134-2, 134-4, 134-10, 134-15, or 134-16(a) shall be guilty of a misdemeanor. 
Any person who violates section 134-3(b) shall be guilty of a petty misdemeanor and the firearm shall be confiscated
as contraband and disposed of, if the firearm is not registered within five days of the person receiving notice of the violation.

[L 1988, c 275, pt of §2; am L 1994, c 204, §9]
It is usually futile to try to talk facts and analysis to people who are enjoying a sense of moral superiority in their ignorance.

macsak

« Reply #30 on: August 17, 2018, 03:37:44 PM »
Correct.  When the legislature expanded registration requirements to include all visitors/tourists bringing firearms, they reduced the penalty to a petty misdemeanor.

As I posted already here, "The law says "Any person who violates section 134-3(a) shall be guilty of a petty misdemeanor". "

Section 134-3(a) applies to guns being brought into Hawaii.  Since this thread is about moving to Hawaii, I posted that section.

Section 134-3(b) applies to acquiring a firearm pursuant to section 134-2 (i.e. buying/transferring a firearm under the Permit to Acquire rules). 

Both are petty misdemeanors, but a resident can have his weapon confiscated and destroyed if he waits another 5 days after notification and fails to register.

ah, ok, mahalo for the clarification

2ahavvaii

« Reply #31 on: August 18, 2018, 10:58:40 AM »

Ah didn't know that. thanks