SuperPAC pipedream (Read 269 times)

Tom_G

SuperPAC pipedream
« on: August 06, 2018, 08:00:56 AM »
I get a lot of ideas. Zippz' recent discussion of a new non-profit got me doing a little research, and I bumped up against the concept of the SuperPAC.

Unlike a PAC, a SuperPAC doesn't contribute money directly to candidates or campaigns. Nor does it coordinate with campaigns. But it can run its own political advertising. So, rather than campaigning for Bob or against Ted, it could simply run an ad that said "Bob voted to restrict the rights of vegetarians 37 times during his last term." Or "Ted voted against five separate bills to remove sidewalks from downtown Honolulu."

Something like "Protect Our Rights, Hawaii." I haven't spent much time on a catchy title yet. But funding (assuming there were any) would go to pay for media. I have pro tools and pro skills to develop some of the actual content (TV & magazine/newspaper ads). Shouldn't be hard to find someone to help with a snazzy web presence.

Probably a pipe dream. Someone would have to actually go looking for money. But setting it up is alarmingly easy.
The difference between theory and reality is that, in theory, there is no difference between theory and reality.

drck1000

Re: SuperPAC pipedream
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2018, 08:14:54 AM »
Whatever it is, I'm down to help!  I can't help with regard to needed expertise in web presence, but I am willing to help in any way that I can.  Both contributing time and $$$.

I've heard lots from the "Non candidate committee" and other stuff like that, that seem to pay for ads that state past actions in a questioning way, like the one currently airing on Ige and his poor response to the false NK nuke warning.  Are those SuperPACs? 

zippz

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2018, 08:39:03 AM »
HRA has it's own PAC so you could support that one.  I don't hear much about it or what they do so I assume they are sorely in need of support and donations.
Join Hawaii Guys and Gals with Guns at www.meetup.com/HawaiiGGG.  We are a group of shooting friends that explore a variety of shooting sports.
Hawaii Shooting Calendar - https://calendar.google.com/calendar/embed?src=practicalmarksman.com_btllod1boifgpp8dcjnbnruhso%40group.calendar.google.com&ctz=Pacific/Honolulu

Tom_G

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2018, 08:38:46 PM »
HRA has it's own PAC so you could support that one.  I don't hear much about it or what they do so I assume they are sorely in need of support and donations.

There's a fundamental difference between a PAC and a SuperPAC. PACs exist to donate money to politicians... a whopping $5k limit per candidate per election. They can also donate $15K to a national party annually. ANd swap monwy ith other PACs at the rate of $5k/year. That's about it.

A SuperPAC can raise and spend without restriction, but they don't donate. SO most likely the ads you see funded by "Citizens for a Brighter Tomorrow" are from a SuperPAC.
The difference between theory and reality is that, in theory, there is no difference between theory and reality.

zippz

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2018, 09:08:06 PM »
I don't know much about SuperPACs and media.  I'm not sure how effective a SuperPAC would be on 2a and have my doubts if it would help in elections.  Could start off by doing research and surveys in the community.

About how much would it cost to make a good campaign assuming we can do most of the work with volunteers?  $250,000?

For the 501c4 org, it doesn't allow for donating to and advertising political campaigns.  I was wondering if a generic 2a campaign was allowed such as encouraging people to get out and vote for 2a supporting candidates in general.  If so then it's something I'd consider doing in 2020.
Join Hawaii Guys and Gals with Guns at www.meetup.com/HawaiiGGG.  We are a group of shooting friends that explore a variety of shooting sports.
Hawaii Shooting Calendar - https://calendar.google.com/calendar/embed?src=practicalmarksman.com_btllod1boifgpp8dcjnbnruhso%40group.calendar.google.com&ctz=Pacific/Honolulu

Jl808

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2018, 10:59:45 AM »
Based on what Tom_G posted, forming a SuperPAC sounds better than a PAC.

Not sure what other restrictions are between the 2 but I believe SuperPACs cannot collaborate with specific candidates and must operate independently.
I think, therefore I am armed.
NRA Life Patron member, HRA Life member, HDF member

The United States Constitution © 1791. All Rights Reserved.

Bota-CS1

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2018, 02:09:24 PM »
Action beats Reaction every time.

Nullius In Verba.

Why do I need concealed carry?  Because I can’t keep carrying a cop around all day.