They don't charge "retail" for their range ammo. They charged inflated range ammo prices, as does the other indoor range.
I've talked to a few guys across the US who visit indoor ranges, and many do not require you buy their ammo. Maybe their insurance carrier allows it? IDK. Or maybe they get more volume (like costco) so they can keep ammo prices down. Personally, been to a Vegas indoor that wasn't marketed on the strip. Box of 9mm cost me $16. Range fee was $10.
But in the end, I'm not a business owner so IDK the cost to operate the range. Lead rated air filters, lead clean up I assume would be the most expensive monthly cost.
I went to Palmetto State Armory in SC (yep, the one everyone here seems to order their PSA products from). They had a Memorial Day weekend special.
- Free range time -- unlimited as long as nobody was waiting for a lane.
- I had my own ammo. They did a visual and magnet check (for steel tip), and said no problem. Their own ammo was cheap: 50 rds 9mm reloads was $8. Factory ammo was $11.
- The whole hour+ visit cost me $2.50 + tax for targets.
- The range was clean, well lit, had nice dividers between lanes, digital target controls (press the distance you want and ZOOM! -- target is sent downrange to the selected distance).
- They do require you sweep your brass into their collection buckets to help offset their costs. All in all, a great time.
In NC, I went to a smaller, less modern range. They had two indoor ranges actually -- one for rifles, one for pistols.
- Inspected my ammo, just like the PSA
- Was supposed to charge me for 2 hours, but didn't charge anything at all -- said I could stay and shoot as long as I wanted.
- 3 targets ran $4
- Same spent brass collection rule
- Rates were based on membership levels. I didn't join, so I was supposed to pay full price. If you pay more for monthly/annual membership, it includes lots of discounts on supplies, ammo and range fee.
Both ranges required a short amount of reading/watching a video for training and my signatures for release of liability and acknowledgement of receiving the training and list of rules. I'm sure insurance is affected/ by/requires these safety measures.