Vegetable Garden and Red Dirt (Read 49560 times)

Q

Re: Vegetable Garden and Red Dirt
« Reply #100 on: February 12, 2016, 11:03:51 AM »
I heard to use "Organic" soap which I will try next.,Instead of throwing out your white fly plants, just spray them "vigorously" with a hose to get rid of them

That's aphids, not white flies.

Aiea78

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Grab em by the handles
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: February 12, 2016, 12:26:54 PM »
yah I tried rinsing them off.  too late it's dead Jim. 

at least the basil is rocking.  making pesto next :) 

update:  pesto rocked! blended with pine nuts, EVOO, parm and sea salt.  tossed in pasta and 21/25 shrimpos - YUM

bad news now the damn white fly/powdery crap is attacking everything, the hawaiian chili and the bok choy.  the plants with delicate leaves.  unaffected the pineapple and the kumquat so far.  the lilikoi is farther away in the yard and no problem yet.  oh yeah and the dragon fruit "limbs" doing ok too really got to move them to permanent loc where they will cascade down a rock wall :) 
« Last Edit: February 23, 2016, 12:42:32 AM by Aiea78 »
Assault Rifle? What I have here is an Anti-Assault Rifle.
Proud Member 2016 2a Day Dozen open holster carry crew yo

blackheart0311

« Reply #102 on: March 01, 2016, 07:00:08 AM »
yah I tried rinsing them off.  too late it's dead Jim. 

at least the basil is rocking.  making pesto next :) 

update:  pesto rocked! blended with pine nuts, EVOO, parm and sea salt.  tossed in pasta and 21/25 shrimpos - YUM

bad news now the damn white fly/powdery crap is attacking everything, the hawaiian chili and the bok choy.  the plants with delicate leaves.  unaffected the pineapple and the kumquat so far.  the lilikoi is farther away in the yard and no problem yet.  oh yeah and the dragon fruit "limbs" doing ok too really got to move them to permanent loc where they will cascade down a rock wall :)

What's the update for the white fly/powdery stuff?
Sig Sauer 516 w/ Trijicon ACOG TA-31F w/ Trijicon RM04
Remington 700 .308 5R w/ Trijicon TR23-2 w/ SFMB-762 w/ Timney 520 CE
CZ 452 Varmint
HK VP9
Mossberg 590

Aiea78

• Grab em by the handles
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: March 02, 2016, 03:43:37 PM »
What's the update for the white fly/powdery stuff?

not much.  the bell pepper is dead.  the Hawaiian chile plant struggling but still kicking.  the basil probably not last much longer either is getting tall skinny and sparse.  the bok choy still growing.  I don't like spraying chems on stuff going to eat.  I kinda' gave up on infected plants.  pineapple is kicking ass.  very hardy plants!

blackheart0311

« Reply #104 on: March 02, 2016, 09:12:26 PM »
not much.  the bell pepper is dead.  the Hawaiian chile plant struggling but still kicking.  the basil probably not last much longer either is getting tall skinny and sparse.  the bok choy still growing.  I don't like spraying chems on stuff going to eat.  I kinda' gave up on infected plants.  pineapple is kicking ass.  very hardy plants!

Sounds like you lost a lot...

What bell peppers are those?  I've got Kaala Bell Peppers from UH Seed Lab going now.  They're still seedlings though.
CZ 452 Varmint
HK VP9
Mossberg 590

Q

« Reply #105 on: March 02, 2016, 10:51:47 PM »

If you want help, I do consulting and build gardens for people.

Kind of hard to know exactly whats going on unless I can see.

Aiea78

• Grab em by the handles
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: March 03, 2016, 07:29:40 AM »
no worries these are just single plants in a pot for test.  I admit had some dreams of finding acreage and working it but the reality is not going happen.  so will leave behind only the hardiest of plants making it on their own now - 5-7 pineapple, lychee / rambutan I forget which I planted, the lilikoi, an orange tree and greenery (including all the noxious weeds haha!).  I started 2 little blueberry plants but who knows if will make it, so far so good.

Q

« Reply #107 on: March 03, 2016, 02:56:57 PM »
no worries these are just single plants in a pot for test.  I admit had some dreams of finding acreage and working it but the reality is not going happen.  so will leave behind only the hardiest of plants making it on their own now - 5-7 pineapple, lychee / rambutan I forget which I planted, the lilikoi, an orange tree and greenery (including all the noxious weeds haha!).  I started 2 little blueberry plants but who knows if will make it, so far so good.

Pinapple take 3-5 years to fully mature; not worth it except for hobby gardening.

Lychee does best in a true subtropical setting that can reach cooler temperatures, like nu'uanu.

Citrus is ok, but can be hard if you receive too much rainfall.

Blueberry is suitable for Hawaii, but you must give it a lot of nutrients and make sure the soil remains acidic.

Pots are ok for sprouting and growing to transplant stage, but not necessarily good for growing to completion. Excess moisture and lack of oxygen create too many problems. I started using self-watering container gardens, but eventually moved away from it due to too many problems.

blackheart0311

« Reply #108 on: March 08, 2016, 07:20:55 PM »
Damn wind today is crazy for the garden...
CZ 452 Varmint
HK VP9
Mossberg 590

Aiea78

• Grab em by the handles
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: March 16, 2016, 12:18:40 AM »
no illussions of becoming a farmer here, not going to happen in my old age so just for fun gardening.   I can see only the hardiest of plants/trees make it outside.  veggies are the most labor intensive and need special care to be successful.   best for you to eat and most expensive  and that is why we don't get them much from plate lunches and the like, only get the cheapest most worthless food/starches.  they could put 3 scoops of mac salad on the plate and I wouldn't eat more than half a scoop.  where's the beef indeed.  so avg lunch now close to if not $10 even fast food.  that just trips me out.

had the house painted.  bok choy ruined as didn't move the box.  que sera sera.

Q

« Reply #110 on: March 16, 2016, 07:03:12 AM »
no illussions of becoming a farmer here, not going to happen in my old age so just for fun gardening.   I can see only the hardiest of plants/trees make it outside.  veggies are the most labor intensive and need special care to be successful.   best for you to eat and most expensive  and that is why we don't get them much from plate lunches and the like, only get the cheapest most worthless food/starches.  they could put 3 scoops of mac salad on the plate and I wouldn't eat more than half a scoop.  where's the beef indeed.  so avg lunch now close to if not $10 even fast food.  that just trips me out.

had the house painted.  bok choy ruined as didn't move the box.  que sera sera.

This is why I moved away from vegetables (aside from the hardiest, drought tolerant and nutrient dense varieties) and shifted my focus to agroforestry.

I got to speak to one of the world's leading experts on permaculture in tropical environments, and he stated that while vegetables can and should be grown in the tropics to an extent, the focus should be on tree crops. He went on to explain that because we have no true winter, biological processes, decomposition and pests are a constant throughout the year, which does not allow the adequate building of soil. It takes 2-4x as long for tropical areas to build soil as it does in temperate climates, unless manual processes are introduced in order to build the soil.

He also stated that because of the lack of soils, most of the nutrients found in the soil tend to be absorbed and held in by the trees, with Hawaii serving as a perfect example.

Trees are much easier to deal with than vegetable crops, though the downside is that they take years to get to fruiting stage, and tend to only have one particular part of the year that they provide their crops, unless they are those that flower and fruit throughout the year.

I think this is why Hawaiians focused on the staple crops of sweet potato, breadfruit and kalo, as these three crops do not need good soil to grow in, especially with regards to the breadfruit.

blackheart0311

« Reply #111 on: March 31, 2016, 09:59:26 PM »
Good information.

I wish my HOA would allow fruit trees.........
CZ 452 Varmint
HK VP9
Mossberg 590

bass monkey

« Reply #112 on: May 29, 2016, 10:06:22 AM »
Didn't read through the thread, but decided to just add my question in here.
Im starting up my container garden.  Will be gardening out of 5 gallon buckets 3x1x1 containers and whatnot.  Plan to grow  vegetables, tomatoes, eggplant and leafy greens from seeds.  Planning to start the seeds in the buckets/containers then let them grow out, wont transplant.  Im trying to figure out what kind of soil I need.  Do I start with potting mix, Top soil?  Any brand recommendations? 

83rdrecon

« Reply #113 on: May 31, 2016, 05:33:41 PM »
Im starting up my container garden.  Will be gardening out of 5 gallon buckets 3x1x1 containers and whatnot.  Plan to grow  vegetables, tomatoes, eggplant and leafy greens from seeds.  Planning to start the seeds in the buckets/containers then let them grow out, wont transplant.  Im trying to figure out what kind of soil I need.  Do I start with potting mix, Top soil?  Any brand recommendations?
make your own compost.  Used coffee ground, banana peels and eggshells all crunched up.  You can mix 5050 with regular topsoil as well. 

bass monkey

« Reply #114 on: May 31, 2016, 08:42:50 PM »
Thanks for the reply.
Yes I've got a few piles cooking right now, but they won't be ready for a while. Will probably add them into the established garden.  My pile is wood chips and kitchen scraps. Also got a worm bin going.

passivekinetic

« Reply #115 on: June 01, 2016, 02:00:06 PM »
This is a great thread. I need to bookmark it for future reference. Thanks to all for sharing!
"The sheep fear sheepdogs, because they fail to see the wolves."
- Anonymous

Rocky

« Reply #116 on: June 01, 2016, 09:51:55 PM »

https://2ahawaii.com/index.php?topic=21494.msg194113#msg194113
“I ask you to judge me by the enemies I have made.”
                                                           Franklin D. Roosevelt

blackheart0311

« Reply #117 on: June 16, 2016, 12:50:31 PM »

Been out of country for a little bit.  Just got back. 

I used Hawaiian Earth Products Potting Mix (purple bag).  Each bag is $5.45 if you pick it up from them.  It's even cheaper if you get it by the truckload; that is, if you have the space for that.

I'll upload a picture of my garden later.  It's going pretty good.  I'd say tomatoes are the easiest to grow.  I've also got bell peppers, pole beans, soybeans, and kale.  Too hot for lettuce now...

I'd just like to say, many on here are a great help!
CZ 452 Varmint
HK VP9
Mossberg 590

Q

« Reply #118 on: June 16, 2016, 08:24:50 PM »
I'm starting to learn Mittleider Gardening.

Browse YouTube to see the results