4 things active shooters have in common. (Read 21015 times)

eyeeatingfish

Re: 4 things active shooters have in common.
« Reply #60 on: August 15, 2019, 10:10:09 PM »
What all you guys are doing is dancing around a question.
How do we determine if someone is crazy?
If they are what do we do about it?
Back in the day Families rightly or wrongly dealt with it.
Thanks to Democrats families are so fragmented
they can't deal with it.
We get stuck with this.
There is no human solution and I'm not going to go religion
on a secular site.
Prepare for the worst.
Ignore Democrat un-constitional laws.
Don't talk to or cooperate with cops.
Do everything "under the table".
The Democrat government of Hawaii
is not your friend.
I'm probably "red flagged" at this but
all my guns are safely out of  reach of
Hawaii courts and cops.

First off we have to stop saying crazy because that is in no way technical enough or even proper term for the issue. There is no legal or mental health term crazy.

If someone is "crazy" (generalization for the sake of discussion) then appropriate authorities can gather information and present the case to the courts to decide whether the person should have some of their rights taken away. Even that lacks details though. Different jurisdictions are coming up with different ways of addressing that.

Not sure why you say don't talk to cops. Someone steals your stuff or assaults you cops are going to be the ones to catch the bad guy or get you your stuff back when possible. They are also going to be the first ones to give you CPR if you are having a heart attack. Shooting yourself in the foot if you think not talking or cooperating with cops is your best option.

As far as "there is no solution", well I am not going to give up that easily. Maybe it would be better to say there is no easy solution.

changemyoil66

Re: 4 things active shooters have in common.
« Reply #61 on: August 16, 2019, 08:35:52 AM »
From what I have heard, quite a bit. Japan has a high suicide rate and I understand sometimes they plan out their suicide to end on a nice vacation. Treat yourself lavishly before dying.

Keep in mind as well that Waikiki is a highly densely populated area so we can't compare numbers in Waikiki to other specific areas the same way.
The number isnt quite a bit.  And to blame a densely populated area doesnt jive with the number.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

groveler

Re: 4 things active shooters have in common.
« Reply #62 on: August 16, 2019, 01:35:12 PM »
First off we have to stop saying crazy because that is in no way technical enough or even proper term for the issue. There is no legal or mental health term crazy.

If someone is "crazy" (generalization for the sake of discussion) then appropriate authorities can gather information and present the case to the courts to decide whether the person should have some of their rights taken away. Even that lacks details though. Different jurisdictions are coming up with different ways of addressing that.

Not sure why you say don't talk to cops. Someone steals your stuff or assaults you cops are going to be the ones to catch the bad guy or get you your stuff back when possible. They are also going to be the first ones to give you CPR if you are having a heart attack. Shooting yourself in the foot if you think not talking or cooperating with cops is your best option.

As far as "there is no solution", well I am not going to give up that easily. Maybe it would be better to say there is no easy solution.
"Not sure why you say don't talk to cops. Someone steals your stuff or assaults you cops are going to be the ones to catch the bad guy or get you your stuff back when possible. They are also going to be the first ones to give you CPR if you are having a heart attack. Shooting yourself in the foot if you think not talking or cooperating with cops is your best option."

Most likely it will be the fire dept giving me CPR at an accident, my Ticker is in very good shape.
The "someone" that steals my stuff has more problems than they will believe.  I don't live on Oahu.
All my stuff is old and not worth much.
Cops don't catch anybody.  Most guys here turn themselves in.
I'm a pretty good shot and I would not shoot myself.
Cops are the lowest form of life, even a lawyer is a better.
An agent of the government  legally carrying a gun that can shoot
anybody or deprive me of my freedom
whenever he/she feels like it,  with no personal responsibility, or
oversight is  my enemy, not a friend.





drck1000

Re: 4 things active shooters have in common.
« Reply #63 on: August 16, 2019, 01:53:30 PM »

Cops don't catch anybody.  Most guys here turn themselves in.
I'm a pretty good shot and I would not shoot myself.
Cops are the lowest form of life, even a lawyer is a better.
An agent of the government  legally carrying a gun that can shoot
anybody or deprive me of my freedom
whenever he/she feels like it,  with no personal responsibility, or
oversight is  my enemy, not a friend.
Did your meds change recently?

groveler

Re: 4 things active shooters have in common.
« Reply #64 on: August 16, 2019, 02:43:32 PM »
Did your meds change recently?
Aspirin count?
What is your point?

drck1000

Re: 4 things active shooters have in common.
« Reply #65 on: August 16, 2019, 04:56:53 PM »
Aspirin count?
What is your point?
Just wondering how you reach many of your conclusions and perhaps maybe they are "influenced" at times. 

In any case, hope you have a great weekend!  Stay safe and yes, please don't shoot yourself.   :shaka:

eyeeatingfish

Re: 4 things active shooters have in common.
« Reply #66 on: August 16, 2019, 10:32:20 PM »
The number isnt quite a bit.  And to blame a densely populated area doesnt jive with the number.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Not blaming anything, just pointing out that the population density has to be taken into account when looking at raw numbers by area.

eyeeatingfish

Re: 4 things active shooters have in common.
« Reply #67 on: August 16, 2019, 10:34:58 PM »
Most likely it will be the fire dept giving me CPR at an accident, my Ticker is in very good shape.

Check out the average response time of a cop vs a fire truck or ambulance. Cops are significantly faster by a large margin.

Quote
The "someone" that steals my stuff has more problems than they will believe.  I don't live on Oahu.

If you can find who they are maybe.
 
Quote
Cops don't catch anybody.  Most guys here turn themselves in.

Not true at all.

Quote
Cops are the lowest form of life, even a lawyer is a better.
An agent of the government  legally carrying a gun that can shoot
anybody or deprive me of my freedom
whenever he/she feels like it,  with no personal responsibility, or
oversight is  my enemy, not a friend.

Also false.

changemyoil66

Re: 4 things active shooters have in common.
« Reply #68 on: August 16, 2019, 10:44:24 PM »
Not blaming anything, just pointing out that the population density has to be taken into account when looking at raw numbers by area.
Lets compare then once u find out the number. Waikiki vs. ,the rest of the entire state.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

drck1000

Re: 4 things active shooters have in common.
« Reply #69 on: August 17, 2019, 02:27:12 AM »
Check out the average response time of a cop vs a fire truck or ambulance. Cops are significantly faster by a large margin.

For a medical emergency? Not in Pearl City. At least from me personal experience.

groveler

Re: 4 things active shooters have in common.
« Reply #70 on: August 17, 2019, 08:25:39 AM »
Check out the average response time of a cop vs a fire truck or ambulance. Cops are significantly faster by a large margin.

If you can find who they are maybe.
 
Not true at all.

Also false.
"Check out the average response time of a cop vs a fire truck or ambulance. Cops are significantly faster by a large margin."
I don't live on Oahu.
My local fire dept staffed 24/7 is a very few miles away. Our police are dispatched from Hilo after 7 PM.

This is a small population 200,000 on land the size of Connecticut.
Nobody gets away with much of anything for long.
Why do you think the TMT protesters get away with
all sorts of law violations?  Because half the local cops
and politicians have Aunties and Uncles in the protest.

I stand by my comments.  You Oahu guys just don't have any concept.
You are Hawaii Five "O". The rest of us are Hawaii "old".




eyeeatingfish

Re: 4 things active shooters have in common.
« Reply #71 on: August 18, 2019, 10:33:05 PM »
For a medical emergency? Not in Pearl City. At least from me personal experience.

On average cops are a lot faster. Cops obviously don't go to all medical emergencies though.

eyeeatingfish

Re: 4 things active shooters have in common.
« Reply #72 on: August 18, 2019, 10:33:51 PM »
Lets compare then once u find out the number. Waikiki vs. ,the rest of the entire state.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I don't know if they publish numbers of suicides by area. But what are you getting at?

eyeeatingfish

Re: 4 things active shooters have in common.
« Reply #73 on: August 18, 2019, 10:36:39 PM »
"Check out the average response time of a cop vs a fire truck or ambulance. Cops are significantly faster by a large margin."
I don't live on Oahu.
My local fire dept staffed 24/7 is a very few miles away. Our police are dispatched from Hilo after 7 PM.

This is a small population 200,000 on land the size of Connecticut.
Nobody gets away with much of anything for long.
Why do you think the TMT protesters get away with
all sorts of law violations?  Because half the local cops
and politicians have Aunties and Uncles in the protest.

I stand by my comments.  You Oahu guys just don't have any concept.
You are Hawaii Five "O". The rest of us are Hawaii "old".

Maybe your cops in Hilo don't catch anyone but our cops in Oahu catch people all the time.

And cops are faster on average. If you happen to live close to the first station or ambulance yard then of course you are going to get better response times but again, we are talking average numbers

RSN172

Re: 4 things active shooters have in common.
« Reply #74 on: August 19, 2019, 10:10:16 AM »
Maybe your cops in Hilo don't catch anyone but our cops in Oahu catch people all the time.

And cops are faster on average. If you happen to live close to the first station or ambulance yard then of course you are going to get better response times but again, we are talking average numbers
Here is my experience.
On Oahu I lived in the Pohakupu subdivision, right between Castle Medical Center and the Olomana Fire Station.  Over a 3 year period my elderly neighbor had a medical emergency twice.  The fire dept showed up several minutes before the ambulance, the police did not come, probably because they were not needed anyway.

When leaving the Greek Marina Restaurant in HiKai one night I saw a car parked in a handicap stall with no plate or placard.  Out of curiosity, since my wife had recently received her placard, I decided to call the police to see what would happen.  Eight minutes after I called, a police car showed up and he spent about a minute looking around the car and through the windows.  He then wrote a ticket and sat and waited in his car.  Nine minutes later a tow truck arrived and six minutes after it arrived the car was being towed away.  Total of 23 minutes from the time of my call to the car being gone.  A couple of weeks later I am on the BI at the old Keeau open market which was located where the Longs Drug Store is now and 2 blocks from the Keaau Police Station.  I saw a car in a handicap stall with no placard or plate.  I call the police to see what would happen.  The person who I spoke to asked me “Well how long has the park been parked there?”  I reply, “I don't know and why should that matter.  It is illegally parked.”  He tells me he will send an officer.  We spend about 15 minutes there and leave and no one had showed up.  We go to the Keaau Shopping Center across the street and have lunch and finish more shopping at Foodland.  Before going home I drive across the street to see if the car is still there.  Car is still there with no ticket and this is one and a half hours after I reported it.  Either the cops never showed up (most likely knowing BI cops) or whoever showed up knew the owner of the car.  I fully understand why groveler hates cops here and feels calling them is a waste of time.  If I reported a murder at my home response time will be 30 minutes if there happened to be cops, yes more than one because they are afraid to come into my subdivision alone, driving on the highway nearby.  If they had to be dispatched from Keaau, one hour.  That is why cops told two people I know in our area that they should have a gun for protection because it will take them at least 45 minutes, most likely over an hour to get out here.
Happily living in Puna

robtmc

Re: 4 things active shooters have in common.
« Reply #75 on: August 19, 2019, 11:22:10 AM »
Wow, from all the ignored posts it looks like you guys really triggered the HPD officer.

Flapp_Jackson

Re: 4 things active shooters have in common.
« Reply #76 on: August 19, 2019, 01:58:12 PM »
Wow, from all the ignored posts it looks like you guys really triggered the HPD officer.

It's a fact that police response times are horrible if your life is in danger.  Nationally, the average is in the 18 minute range.  Many cities have averages in the 5 minute range, and others in the 30 minute range.  Results vary based on a dozen or so factors.

That someone on here wants to argue that police response is faster than fire or ambulance without any actual facts to back that opinion up is hilarious.   :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

That his argument has nothing at all to do with the topic (Things active shooters have in common) is just typical.   :wacko:    :stopjack:
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world;
the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself.
Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man.
-- George Bernard Shaw

changemyoil66

Re: 4 things active shooters have in common.
« Reply #77 on: August 19, 2019, 03:15:16 PM »
Im sure response time for an active shooter will be fast. Prob all HPD in the area will drop what theyre doing and respond (be onsite). But what if its in a building. Will first on scene go leroy jenkins and attack the shooter? Or wait for orders and back up?

So even if HPd is johnny on the spot, expect a few more mins at least to get to anyone at best.

Being onsite and engaging are 2 sets of times. I would guesstimate 10 mins b4 the first cop enters a building and another few before they even find the shooter. So 20 mins before shooter is engaged.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

groveler

Re: 4 things active shooters have in common.
« Reply #78 on: August 19, 2019, 03:36:31 PM »
Im sure response time for an active shooter will be fast. Prob all HPD in the area will drop what theyre doing and respond (be onsite). But what if its in a building. Will first on scene go leroy jenkins and attack the shooter? Or wait for orders and back up?

So even if HPd is johnny on the spot, expect a few more mins at least to get to anyone at best.

Being onsite and engaging are 2 sets of times. I would guesstimate 10 mins b4 the first cop enters a building and another few before they even find the shooter. So 20 mins before shooter is engaged.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
My bet would be wait for backup.
I have yet to see a Hawaii cop go on his own,
and where I grew up( Los Angeles county CA)
they always had at least three
cops respond.
Where seconds count, cops don't.
This is a Hexadecimal number 0xFECE,
is all you get.  They give you a lot of it
before they can or will respond.

eyeeatingfish

Re: 4 things active shooters have in common.
« Reply #79 on: August 20, 2019, 09:36:59 PM »
Here is my experience.
On Oahu I lived in the Pohakupu subdivision, right between Castle Medical Center and the Olomana Fire Station.  Over a 3 year period my elderly neighbor had a medical emergency twice.  The fire dept showed up several minutes before the ambulance, the police did not come, probably because they were not needed anyway.

When leaving the Greek Marina Restaurant in HiKai one night I saw a car parked in a handicap stall with no plate or placard.  Out of curiosity, since my wife had recently received her placard, I decided to call the police to see what would happen.  Eight minutes after I called, a police car showed up and he spent about a minute looking around the car and through the windows.  He then wrote a ticket and sat and waited in his car.  Nine minutes later a tow truck arrived and six minutes after it arrived the car was being towed away.  Total of 23 minutes from the time of my call to the car being gone.  A couple of weeks later I am on the BI at the old Keeau open market which was located where the Longs Drug Store is now and 2 blocks from the Keaau Police Station.  I saw a car in a handicap stall with no placard or plate.  I call the police to see what would happen.  The person who I spoke to asked me “Well how long has the park been parked there?”  I reply, “I don't know and why should that matter.  It is illegally parked.”  He tells me he will send an officer.  We spend about 15 minutes there and leave and no one had showed up.  We go to the Keaau Shopping Center across the street and have lunch and finish more shopping at Foodland.  Before going home I drive across the street to see if the car is still there.  Car is still there with no ticket and this is one and a half hours after I reported it.  Either the cops never showed up (most likely knowing BI cops) or whoever showed up knew the owner of the car.  I fully understand why groveler hates cops here and feels calling them is a waste of time.  If I reported a murder at my home response time will be 30 minutes if there happened to be cops, yes more than one because they are afraid to come into my subdivision alone, driving on the highway nearby.  If they had to be dispatched from Keaau, one hour.  That is why cops told two people I know in our area that they should have a gun for protection because it will take them at least 45 minutes, most likely over an hour to get out here.

Rural areas usually have slower response times just due to the nature of being so rural. Sounds like they might be a bit short staffed as well. They could also have lazy officers who don't want to cut short their lunch, who knows.

There is a fire station very close to Pohakupu so you are going to get great response times over there. I know cops are only trained to do certain things medical wise so they probably don't get sent to every medical emergency there is.

I don't know what Groveler's beef is but his assertion that cops never catch criminals is just plainly false.