Coronavirus from China (Read 29331 times)

Inspector

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • Everything Around a Pigs Ass is Pork
  • Referrals: 6
    • View Profile
Re: Coronavirus from China
« Reply #120 on: February 12, 2020, 08:31:17 PM »
What I have been worried about is something like this where the number of infections and deaths just keep accelerating. Significantly. If the numbers keep going up in large percentages like what you posted, then we might have a lot to worry about. It’s cases like this that makes me wish I had bought that missile silo when I had the chance.
Officially Retired and living in the free state of Arizona.

macsak

Inspector

• View Profile
« Reply #122 on: February 13, 2020, 05:11:23 AM »
An hour into the new market this morning and the market down. What is not surprising is by how much. It is down 0.35%. About a third of one percent. It was down about a half percent earlier. Not much of a selloff if you ask me. That means the new Coronavirus numbers are bad but not worrisome at this time.

News this morning is defending China’s under reporting of the virus. They are saying that they don’t have enough test kits to make certain that the diagnosis are accurate. The new higher numbers are due to China finally deciding to diagnose cases based on symptoms. They said we should start seeing bigger numbers coming out daily for a while until the number of test kits catches up with infections. They said reporting is about 100,000 less than actual. If you can believe what they are saying.

I think the US, and particular the Trump administration, has done a good job tracking and quarantining possible cases. With the number of US citizens that had travelled to China and then came back, we only have 14 verified cases. It seems that this virus spreads easier than SARS, but most cases are fairly mild. Except for the rather young and elderly.

Right before I click post the market has dropped to 0.56% from the opening.

drck1000

« Reply #123 on: February 13, 2020, 07:36:05 AM »
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/china-reports-spike-in-virus-cases-with-new-diagnosis-method/ar-BBZWN53?ocid=spartanntp
The new diagnosis and classification makes sense on the reported cases. The rise in deaths still concerning. Heard a “health expert” on the radio this morning and he explained the typical evolution of a new infectious disease and trends and makes sense. At first, they don’t have the virus or agent identified, so general symptoms. Mild cases maybe previously not identified. Yadda yadda yadda.

In any case, sounds like it isn’t as lethal as some precision infections, but spreads faster/easier.

Inspector

• View Profile
« Reply #124 on: February 13, 2020, 07:48:15 AM »
The new diagnosis and classification makes sense on the reported cases. The rise in deaths still concerning. Heard a “health expert” on the radio this morning and he explained the typical evolution of a new infectious disease and trends and makes sense. At first, they don’t have the virus or agent identified, so general symptoms. Mild cases maybe previously not identified. Yadda yadda yadda.

In any case, sounds like it isn’t as lethal as some precision infections, but spreads faster/easier.
Also, on the radio this morning they were saying this is related to SARS. Much more easily transmitted but not as deadly. They also mentioned the swine flu/Spanish flu pandemic of the early 20th century. They mentioned that it was a couple of different viruses that had mutated that became the swine flu/Spanish flu pandemic. They were saying that it is possible for this virus to mutate to having the worst features of SARS and Corona. Meaning it becoming easier to spread with the deadly nature of the SARS. Not saying it is or is going to happen. It was just conjecture. It just makes everyone nervous when they put these types of thoughts into people's heads.

I also read this morning that NK has a big problem with Corona and they are not reporting it because their health system cannot deal with it. They have a very porous border with China and they report zero cases of Corona. Seems impossible to me. It is easier just to kill and burn bodies than actually trying to keep people alive. We'll see what the truth is someday.

drck1000

« Reply #125 on: February 13, 2020, 09:25:51 AM »
Also, on the radio this morning they were saying this is related to SARS. Much more easily transmitted but not as deadly. They also mentioned the swine flu/Spanish flu pandemic of the early 20th century. They mentioned that it was a couple of different viruses that had mutated that became the swine flu/Spanish flu pandemic. They were saying that it is possible for this virus to mutate to having the worst features of SARS and Corona. Meaning it becoming easier to spread with the deadly nature of the SARS. Not saying it is or is going to happen. It was just conjecture. It just makes everyone nervous when they put these types of thoughts into people's heads.

I also read this morning that NK has a big problem with Corona and they are not reporting it because their health system cannot deal with it. They have a very porous border with China and they report zero cases of Corona. Seems impossible to me. It is easier just to kill and burn bodies than actually trying to keep people alive. We'll see what the truth is someday.
Virus evolution/mutation is  :shake:  Already happens with the "regular" flu.  People who don't cover their mouth when they cough drives me nuts anyways, even more now. . .

Yeah, the NK thing came up previously in my convos with my buddy who is part of the State's response team.  Luckily, not common for a Nork to vacation in Hawaii.   :rofl:

Inspector

• View Profile
« Reply #126 on: February 13, 2020, 10:00:35 AM »
Virus evolution/mutation is  :shake:  Already happens with the "regular" flu.  People who don't cover their mouth when they cough drives me nuts anyways, even more now. . .

Cough cough cough...  :wave: :wave: :wave:

Yeah, the NK thing came up previously in my convos with my buddy who is part of the State's response team.  Luckily, not common for a Nork to vacation in Hawaii.   :rofl:
Imagine::: Rocket Man in a Speedo!!!  :shake: :shake: :shake:

drck1000

« Reply #127 on: February 13, 2020, 10:10:50 AM »
Cough cough cough...  :wave: :wave: :wave:
Imagine::: Rocket Man in a Speedo!!!  :shake: :shake: :shake:
:shake:  :shake:  :shake:

and

:barf: :barf: :barf:

I am (hopefully) in the ending stages of a very mild cold.  More irritating than serious. 

Inspector

• View Profile
« Reply #128 on: February 13, 2020, 10:38:08 AM »
:shake:  :shake:  :shake:

and

:barf: :barf: :barf:

I am (hopefully) in the ending stages of a very mild cold.  More irritating than serious.
I hope you feel better.

changemyoil66

« Reply #129 on: February 13, 2020, 11:38:16 AM »
NK already doesn't let anyone leave the country.  So when they start to, is when we have to worry.  Kind of like if HPD supports a bill that seems pro 2a.  It probably isn't and has many downfalls (taser bill).

tillamook

« Reply #130 on: February 14, 2020, 04:14:03 PM »
Possible exposures in Maui and Oahu with the visitor who tested positive when arriving back in Japan today.

I heard home depot is limiting sales of N95 mask already so might be a good time to stock up before the panic hits.  Regular paper masks dont protect, you need a N95 or better.   I'll be in my bunker, see you guys on the other side :)

macsak

« Reply #131 on: February 14, 2020, 04:48:25 PM »
Possible exposures in Maui and Oahu with the visitor who tested positive when arriving back in Japan today.

I heard home depot is limiting sales of N95 mask already so might be a good time to stock up before the panic hits.  Regular paper masks dont protect, you need a N95 or better.   I'll be in my bunker, see you guys on the other side :)

N95 doesn't totally protect you either
it prevents 95% of particles 300 um from entering mask
virus size is 120 um...

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #132 on: February 14, 2020, 04:51:16 PM »

I've read/seen the virus, or a variant, can also infect people through the ocular membrane.  if that's true, then no respirator masks will stop it.

Chaolin Huang and colleagues reported the epidemiology, symptoms, and treatment of patients infected by the
2019 novel coronavirus (2019-nCoV) in Wuhan, China. As ophthalmologists, we believe that transmission of
2019-nCoV through the eyes was ignored.

On Jan 22, Guangfa Wang, a member of the national expert panel on pneumonia, reported that he was infected
by 2019-nCoV during the inspection in Wuhan. He wore an N95 mask but did not wear anything
to protect his eyes. Several days before the onset of pneumonia, Wang complained of redness of the eyes.
Unprotected exposure of the eyes to 2019-nCoV in the Wuhan Fever Clinic might have allowed the virus to infect
the body.

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(20)30313-5/fulltext

About Lancet:  =>  https://www.thelancet.com/about-us
"That's what laws are for...  If the right people don't break 'em, they're of no use whatsoever.""

tillamook

« Reply #133 on: February 15, 2020, 05:56:38 PM »
N95 doesn't totally protect you either
it prevents 95% of particles 300 um from entering mask
virus size is 120 um...

Luckily most viruses are transported in droplets sneezed or coughed out, not just floating in the air individually.  No mask is perfect but it is worth the risk reduction

But It does not matter here,  Ace hardware and HPM were all sold out Friday afternoon of every mask they had. 

Now I have a full facemask with the p100's cartridges ready to go that have been in my prep stuff for a while.   Even those are not 100% but it is so much better than the simple paper masks everyone in China is walking around with. 

GlockNewb

« Reply #134 on: February 16, 2020, 05:00:49 PM »

OF COURSE China had a biolab a stone’s-throw away from the wet market...
"Fast is slow, slow is smooth, smooth is fast."

changemyoil66

« Reply #135 on: February 16, 2020, 06:27:05 PM »

OF COURSE China had a biolab a stone’s-throw away from the wet market...
I think i mentioned the biolab  when this first started. #nottinfoilanymore

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

macsak

macsak

Inspector

• View Profile
« Reply #138 on: February 18, 2020, 06:14:33 AM »
https://www.apple.com/newsroom/2020/02/investor-update-on-quarterly-guidance/
Yup. Corona virus is causing apple to reissue its guidance for the quarter. This was expected by the experts but now is official. Since Apple comprises a large percentage of the Dow it is dragging the Dow down today. Right now the Dow is down around 200 points or about two thirds of a percent. China is having a hard time allowing workers back to work without spreading the virus further.

Inspector

• View Profile
« Reply #139 on: February 24, 2020, 05:48:12 AM »
This weekend the news reported that the corona virus has spread to Northern Italy. I guess they quarantined off 10 counties already. Also, Iran and some other countries are reporting cases. But the implication is that Italy, being part of the open border European Union, could be the gateway where a pandemic starts in Europe. Let’s hope they can contain it.

Due to this the market futures dropped almost 1,000 points. So, the market opened down 997 points! About 3.5%. It has since come back up about 150 points as I write this. So it is not in free fall but a big sell off and not a crash.

Apple dropped 5% or 6% this morning. It seems like Mac is looking pretty smart this morning for his temporary flight to cash. Be ready to jump back in and make some more money.

I thought things were stabilizing until the news this weekend. The outbreak in Italy has huge implications as Europe was the hardest hit in the last big worldwide pandemic.