Stay at home, quarantine. Loads (Read 2222 times)

drck1000

Re: Stay at home, quarantine. Loads
« Reply #40 on: October 07, 2020, 09:49:31 AM »
my first 223 reloads.  target is 50 yards
shot with my bolt action 223.  will try in my AR next
top target is with factory Federal 55 grain FMJ.  (AR 223 ammo)
bottom 3 targets are with my handloads.  Hornady factory seconds, 55 grain, FMJBT.  each target is different powder charge.  not bad for my 1st reloads of 223   :D

SNIP
Very nice!  Confirmation that your hand loads are markedly better than Fed 55.  While not match ammo, 193 typically does well out of most of my guns.  That load in the center/bottom looks great!   :thumbsup:

drck1000

« Reply #41 on: October 07, 2020, 09:53:52 AM »
Funny thing about all of this is every pest control company I called I said I have birds nesting under my solar panels. Everyone said “I’ll bet they are pigeons”. Apparently it is a thing that occurs often as they all stated they have been getting more and more calls for this particular issue.
My dad hated the Bulbuls that would nest in the orange tree that was outside his bedroom.  He bought a pretty nice air pistol and scope just for them.   ;D

I've seen the pigeon ticklers mentioned below.  They them all over where the birds like to roost, esp high up in steel hangars.  Everytime I see them, I think to myself, "who the hell gets to go up there and get those stinking flying rats down".  It's funny too, because I've only seen pigeons skewered in them.  Guess other birds are smarter and stay away.  Haha

Inspector

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • Everything Around a Pigs Ass is Pork
  • Referrals: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 08, 2020, 01:30:14 AM »
My dad hated the Bulbuls that would nest in the orange tree that was outside his bedroom.  He bought a pretty nice air pistol and scope just for them.   ;D

I've seen the pigeon ticklers mentioned below.  They them all over where the birds like to roost, esp high up in steel hangars.  Everytime I see them, I think to myself, "who the hell gets to go up there and get those stinking flying rats down".  It's funny too, because I've only seen pigeons skewered in them.  Guess other birds are smarter and stay away.  Haha
Pigeons are the reason the term “Bird Brain” came about.  :rofl:  The pest control guy had metal mesh, about quarter inch openings and about 6” wide in about 10’ long rolls. He used self tapping screws to attach it like a skirt. Before he attached the skirt he used a garden hose and a brush on a long stick to flush all the pigeon droppings, nest, eggs, etc. down my rain gutters. Then he flushed the rain gutters out of all that crap. He sprayed disinfectant around as well. He also used the mesh to cover a couple of areas where the roof made perfect pigeon nesting areas. He (NAZ Pest Control) charged me $200 for the whole job. He estimated 87 linear feet and 2 hours to do the job.

His competition (Friendly Pest Control) came out on Tuesday morning (8:00am) and was 30 mins late, didn’t call to let me know he would be late, and didn’t get me the estimate until late Wednesday afternoon. Within 5 minutes of Friendly leaving my house, his office texted me and complained that my Hawaii phone number was coming up an international number and they couldn’t call me from their business phone. Then they went on to ask me to contact them so they could set up a date and time for their guy to come out for an estimate. Since their guy had just left I ignored their text. Then on Wednesday late morning I got an e-mail from them letting me know that they scheduled their guy to come out on Thursday to give me an estimate. I finally called them and asked them why I had not gotten my estimate yet. And they said because their guy had not come out yet. And I told them their guy was out on Tuesday morning and was late and I still don’t have an estimate. Then I asked her why they were so confused? So she says, let me straighten this out and I’ll call you back. I told her I don’t want a call, I want the estimate they promised me. Then late Wednesday afternoon I finally got an email from the owner apologizing for the confusion and he attached the estimate. The estimate was for 185 linear feet, didn’t state how many hours it would take and came out to $1,467.00. What they don’t know is that when they finally sent the estimate NAZ Pest Control was already on my roof doing the work.

By 6:00pm NAZ had sent me his invoice and I paid it with my credit card.

Funny story. Back in the 80’s I worked all over Los Angeles. In downtown LA near the 10 and 110 intersection is a small lot with both McDonalds and Burger King side by side. They shared the parking lot. The route into and out of the lot was in between the buildings. And of course they had outside tables. It was not uncommon for the pigeons to come up to the tables looking for food. Only something was weird about these pigeons. They were totally FAT AND GREASY LOOKING!!! When the cars drove in and out they didn’t fly to get out of the way. They ran. Maybe because they couldn’t fly? I don’t know. But I have never seen pigeons like this before. It goes to show you what a continuous diet of French fries will do to you.  :rofl:
Officially Retired and living in the free state of Arizona.

oldfart

« Reply #43 on: October 08, 2020, 03:30:23 AM »
That's a good story. :thumbsup:
What, Me Worry?

drck1000

« Reply #44 on: October 08, 2020, 07:54:25 AM »
Pigeons are the reason the term “Bird Brain” came about.  :rofl:  The pest control guy had metal mesh, about quarter inch openings and about 6” wide in about 10’ long rolls. He used self tapping screws to attach it like a skirt. Before he attached the skirt he used a garden hose and a brush on a long stick to flush all the pigeon droppings, nest, eggs, etc. down my rain gutters. Then he flushed the rain gutters out of all that crap. He sprayed disinfectant around as well. He also used the mesh to cover a couple of areas where the roof made perfect pigeon nesting areas. He (NAZ Pest Control) charged me $200 for the whole job. He estimated 87 linear feet and 2 hours to do the job.

His competition (Friendly Pest Control) came out on Tuesday morning (8:00am) and was 30 mins late, didn’t call to let me know he would be late, and didn’t get me the estimate until late Wednesday afternoon. Within 5 minutes of Friendly leaving my house, his office texted me and complained that my Hawaii phone number was coming up an international number and they couldn’t call me from their business phone. Then they went on to ask me to contact them so they could set up a date and time for their guy to come out for an estimate. Since their guy had just left I ignored their text. Then on Wednesday late morning I got an e-mail from them letting me know that they scheduled their guy to come out on Thursday to give me an estimate. I finally called them and asked them why I had not gotten my estimate yet. And they said because their guy had not come out yet. And I told them their guy was out on Tuesday morning and was late and I still don’t have an estimate. Then I asked her why they were so confused? So she says, let me straighten this out and I’ll call you back. I told her I don’t want a call, I want the estimate they promised me. Then late Wednesday afternoon I finally got an email from the owner apologizing for the confusion and he attached the estimate. The estimate was for 185 linear feet, didn’t state how many hours it would take and came out to $1,467.00. What they don’t know is that when they finally sent the estimate NAZ Pest Control was already on my roof doing the work.

By 6:00pm NAZ had sent me his invoice and I paid it with my credit card.

Funny story. Back in the 80’s I worked all over Los Angeles. In downtown LA near the 10 and 110 intersection is a small lot with both McDonalds and Burger King side by side. They shared the parking lot. The route into and out of the lot was in between the buildings. And of course they had outside tables. It was not uncommon for the pigeons to come up to the tables looking for food. Only something was weird about these pigeons. They were totally FAT AND GREASY LOOKING!!! When the cars drove in and out they didn’t fly to get out of the way. They ran. Maybe because they couldn’t fly? I don’t know. But I have never seen pigeons like this before. It goes to show you what a continuous diet of French fries will do to you.  :rofl:
It's a wonder how the "Friendly Pest Control" types stay in business.  Probably "catering" to folks that don't know any better. 

Inspector

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: October 08, 2020, 08:06:52 AM »
It's a wonder how the "Friendly Pest Control" types stay in business.  Probably "catering" to folks that don't know any better.
It’s funny you said that cuz I felt like I was getting a deal from Ohana. The day he came and gave me the estimate we sat down in my garage and talk story for an hour before he left. The day he came and did the work we talked story again for another hour. He did a good job and I was happy to pay him $200 for all the work he did. And I made a new friend.

drck1000

« Reply #46 on: October 08, 2020, 09:08:14 AM »
It’s funny you said that cuz I felt like I was getting a deal from Ohana. The day he came and gave me the estimate we sat down in my garage and talk story for an hour before he left. The day he came and did the work we talked story again for another hour. He did a good job and I was happy to pay him $200 for all the work he did. And I made a new friend.
That's awesome and that's how it should be, no matter where one lives.  I definitely remember service that builds a relationship like that. 

wirecounter

« Reply #47 on: October 08, 2020, 09:27:25 AM »

Rocky

« Reply #48 on: October 16, 2020, 07:47:27 AM »
    Seems the C-19 quarantine has claimed another victim.  :(
Trying to finish up 9mm polymers when the handle on my 550 B went so forward it hit the collection bin ramp.  :wacko:
Further inspection showed ALOT of slop in the link arms to frame, link arms to crank, and crank to main shaft.  :wtf:
Did notice the shell plate platform rotating ever so slightly on the down stroke before the major malfunction.  ???

Contacted Dillon .
Will let you know how their "No B.S. Warranty" is.
They were pretty good about it last month when they sent me a new slotted bell crank when the "button" that holds the spring popped off.
So spent the day checking and cutting more .308 brass.
Boring   :sleeping: :sleeping: :sleeping:

Dillon should have received my loader yesterday.
Sitting at my computer and looking over at a loading bench full of all the components needed to reload for everything I own and all the time to do it is "upsetting"  :'(
#Covidrelatedstress  :grrr:
“I ask you to judge me by the enemies I have made.”
                                                           Franklin D. Roosevelt

ren

« Reply #49 on: October 16, 2020, 08:03:50 AM »
77s for .223  using RL15 - my fave orders
next "index" loads for 308 175s with IMR4064

Inspector

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 16, 2020, 12:21:14 PM »
Dillon should have received my loader yesterday.
Sitting at my computer and looking over at a loading bench full of all the components needed to reload for everything I own and all the time to do it is "upsetting"  :'(
#Covidrelatedstress  :grrr:
I’m sure Dillon will honor their warranty with no problems. Are the parts wearing out or breaking? Do you have a single stage you can work with while you are waiting? Let us know how long it takes them to get it back to you?

I’m starting to cast my own boolits now. Next week I try my hand at powder coating them. When I get tired of brass prep, I can reload, and if I get tired of that I do some casting and now I can do some powder coating.

Rocky

« Reply #51 on: October 17, 2020, 12:02:20 PM »
I’m sure Dillon will honor their warranty with no problems. Are the parts wearing out or breaking? Do you have a single stage you can work with while you are waiting? Let us know how long it takes them to get it back to you?
Seems to me the link arm pivot points are worn, thus the slop.
No single stage (2=1, 1=none  :crazy:)

My friend ordered a 650 weeks ago, then changed to 550 when he heard 650 would take 3+ weeks and he could get the 550 in 2 weeks.
2 weeks later they tell him 3-4 weeks to delivery on 550.
Also told him they take care of existing Dillon customers before new customers. ;D
 Of course I gave him $#!T about how they were going to dismantle his 550 to repair mine.  :rofl: :rofl:

p.s. Just received my UFO light replacement.
For some foolish reason, I removed it and broke the light strip.
Lucky for me a replacement light (expansion kit) only cost me half ($18.84) of a new setup.  :crazy:
Now I just need a press to install it on.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2020, 01:41:04 PM by Rocky »
“I ask you to judge me by the enemies I have made.”
                                                           Franklin D. Roosevelt

Inspector

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 17, 2020, 03:18:49 PM »
Seems to me the link arm pivot points are worn, thus the slop.
No single stage (2=1, 1=none  :crazy:)

My friend ordered a 650 weeks ago, then changed to 550 when he heard 650 would take 3+ weeks and he could get the 550 in 2 weeks.
2 weeks later they tell him 3-4 weeks to delivery on 550.
Also told him they take care of existing Dillon customers before new customers. ;D
 Of course I gave him $#!T about how they were going to dismantle his 550 to repair mine.  :rofl: :rofl:

p.s. Just received my UFO light replacement.
For some foolish reason, I removed it and broke the light strip.
Lucky for me a replacement light (expansion kit) only cost me half ($18.84) of a new setup.  :crazy:
Now I just need a press to install it on.
Takes a lot of use to wear out a press. I’m very impressed! You’ll get your press back soon enough. I couldn’t reload without a single stage. I use it for so many different duties. Besides using it to reload all my rifle cartridges, I also use it for depriming without resizing both pistol and rifle cases, swaging primer pockets, swaging boolits, bullet removal when I make mistakes, etc.

I am thinking of upgrading my Lee Turret Press to a better turret press. I can’t bring myself to spend the money on a progressive when I have more time now that I’m retired to reload. I can easily keep up with my shooting. So it doesn’t seem like a necessary tool. And I am growing unhappy with the sloppiness with the Lee turret.

wirecounter

« Reply #53 on: October 20, 2020, 03:58:03 PM »
I am thinking of upgrading my Lee Turret Press to a better turret press.

You only need to take the blue pill once . . .  :D

Inspector

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 21, 2020, 02:37:17 AM »
You only need to take the blue pill once . . .  :D
If I take the blue pill, will I have a progressive press or a hard-on?  :rofl:

oldfart

« Reply #55 on: October 21, 2020, 06:32:13 AM »
==========
ha.....as if
What, Me Worry?

Inspector

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 21, 2020, 06:44:25 AM »

Eric808

« Reply #57 on: October 21, 2020, 06:52:29 AM »
"Guns...Lots of guns."

Almost forgot:... And Boolits...Lots of boolits (heads, projectiles, ammo....)

jc2721

« Reply #58 on: October 21, 2020, 04:09:31 PM »
"Guns...Lots of guns."

Almost forgot:... And Boolits...Lots of boolits (heads, projectiles, ammo....)

Now you're beginning to sound like one of the club.  Remember to take the red pill....

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #59 on: October 21, 2020, 05:04:41 PM »
Now you're beginning to sound like one of the club.  Remember to take the red pill....

The Terms Red Pill and Blue Pill refer to a choice between revealing an unpleasant truth,
represented by the red pill, or to remain in blissful ignorance, represented by the blue pill.

These terms are in reference to the 1999 film The Matrix.

Is there any doubt the red pill was picked for the truth (Republicans = Red), and the blue picked for blissful ignorance (Democrats = Blue) for a reason??

Even in fiction, the truth lives on.   :geekdanc: :thumbsup:
"That's what laws are for...  If the right people don't break 'em, they're of no use whatsoever.""