Hornady 9mm 135 grain Critical Duty Standard Pressure (Read 5510 times)

RSN172

Re: Hornady 9mm 135 grain Critical Duty Standard Pressure
« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2021, 07:56:23 AM »
Now we only gotta wait about 6 mo month fo see if SCOTUS goin allow us fo carry any kine place dat short barrel 9MM.
Happily living in Puna

QUIETShooter

Re: Hornady 9mm 135 grain Critical Duty Standard Pressure
« Reply #21 on: December 19, 2021, 08:45:33 AM »
25 yards (75 feet) is a heck of a shot. Pistol range.
At 10 yards (30feet) I don’t wanna get shot period. (Edit: actUally I don’t wanna get shot period. Period.)
Get a revolver.  :D

Was there there a bullet drop at 25 yards with the heavier SD rounds than the 115 range rounds ?

I'm not sure about bullet drop but the RSO mentioned about me flinching down whenever I pulled the trigger which did show on the target.  Lots of holes on the bottom half and I almost destroyed the wooden crosspiece, lol!  :crazy:
Sometimes you gotta know when to save your bullets.

QUIETShooter

Re: Hornady 9mm 135 grain Critical Duty Standard Pressure
« Reply #22 on: December 19, 2021, 08:55:10 AM »
I looked at a lot of YT tests of 9mm out of micro 9s. A tuber named “shooting the bull”, or thereabouts, seems pretty thorough in his testing.

The ammo I settled on that did very well, yet the is reasonably priced is Winchester’s train and defend 147grain (the “defend” version obviously).

Defend had very very good results from the ultra short barrel. The 147 recoil impulse is less snappy out of the tiny pistol, and my plinking ammunition, that I build, already simulates this ammo satisfactorily. So practice is no problem.

Search his YT, it’s pretty extensive on testing in gel and specifically short barrel 9mm

Thanks for the tip! :shaka:  I'll check out this video.  Maybe I saw it cause I've been searching lots of YT videos about SD ammo tests to the point where I can't remember which one I saw anymore. :rofl:

I thought the Hornady 135 gr. would be snappier on my pistol but it seems about the same as the range ammo snappiness.  Maybe cause the HD ammo was standard pressure?

I'm going to continue my quest for trying different types of SD ammo, Winchester Defend included which I hope along with other types of SD will be available soon.  I also hope one day I can buy more than one box, lol!

I'm lazy that's why.  When I go to buy ammo, I like buy ONE TIME, not ONE at a time.....LOL! ;D

Sometimes you gotta know when to save your bullets.

drck1000

Re: Hornady 9mm 135 grain Critical Duty Standard Pressure
« Reply #23 on: December 19, 2021, 11:16:34 AM »
25 yards (75 feet) is a heck of a shot. Pistol range.
At 10 yards (30feet) I don’t wanna get shot period. (Edit: actUally I don’t wanna get shot period. Period.)
Get a revolver.  :D

Was there there a bullet drop at 25 yards with the heavier SD rounds than the 115 range rounds ?
In my testing, POA/POI spot on between most of my factory 115gr ammo and GD 124 gr (standard, not +P).  Now that I have a chrono for pistol, I will eventually chrono those loads as I get going in reloading for 115 gr training ammo.

I haven't shot that much 147 gr, but I didn't notice a POI shift for 147 gr GD.  Or at least that I could attribute to the ammo itself.  When shooting with the rests that they have at the range, pretty much spot on a 25 yards. 

aieahound

Re: Hornady 9mm 135 grain Critical Duty Standard Pressure
« Reply #24 on: December 19, 2021, 02:21:04 PM »
Good info. Thanks.