Equipment Reviews (Read 2616 times)

tonsofguns

Equipment Reviews
« on: July 23, 2010, 08:26:36 PM »
Farm Lantern made by Lamplight Farms. Available at Wal-Mart for $6.00. Recommended oil is $5.50 per 64 oz bottle. Extra wicks are $2.99 per 3 pack. Rating: 6 of 10

I understand that someone else went to review this lamp also so if I missed anything please add!!

I bought this lamp about 3 months ago at the Wal-Mart in town. At first I was unimpressed by the lamp being that it weighs what feels like less than a pound. In my mind a solid hurricane lamp should be quite heavy. I did however like design and the carry handle, and for 6 dollars I wouldn't have felt bad if it was junk. I can't say that it is. I used the recommended oil called gold medallion lamp oil and costs about $5.50 for a 64 oz. bottle. The lamp itself holds about 2 oz. in the reservoir. I followed all of the manufacturers instructions, such as using the proper oil and letting the wick soak for 15 minutes before lighting, and also about keeping the flame set to not produce smoke. After about 16 hours of use over a three day span I cannot report any problems and must say this lamp is very fuel efficient. The lamp is easy to disassemble for cleaning, stays cool, produces a good amount of light, and when following the manufacturers instructions is virtually smoke and smell free. I would recommend this lamp to someone on a budget as the total investment for this efficient light source is roughly 12 bucks plus tax. Of course if you have the time and money to find and buy a "real" farm lantern, I would recommend that. The only downsides that I have encountered is the light weight of the lantern and the oil reservoir has no way to accurately judge the fuel level.  Also, the fuel filler hole is very small so a small funnel should be used to avoid spills. I recommend refilling the oil reservoir before each use.

Now to the survival minded, if you had to use gasoline you could. Extra wicks can be made from shoe lace or strips of cloth. The carry handle and glass retainer can be replaced with a wire hanger if needed. The glass might be difficult to replace but a can with holes or slots cut into the sides could be made to work. Aloha!

ETA: I rated this lantern 6 points out of a possible 10. The positive points of this lamp are as follows; it is reliable, easy to use, has a great design, a great price, easy to disassemble and clean, is field expedient, and can be used as a light source or signal. The negative points I found were the light weight for what it is; a farm lantern, also some accessories are required for proper use, the fuel level is difficult to judge accurately, and the glass can be broken easily, especially if dropped.

« Last Edit: July 24, 2010, 07:49:31 PM by tonsofguns »

2aHawaii

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sheepdog
  • Referrals: 16
    • View Profile
    • 2aHawaii
Re: Equipment Reviews
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2010, 09:02:00 PM »
How long does the 2oz last before you have to refill it?
I am not a lawyer.

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." - United States Constitution Amendment 2 & Hawaii State Constitution Article 1 Section 17

Buying from Amazon? Click through here

tonsofguns

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2010, 10:20:56 PM »
Don't know it didn't run out yet!! When it finally does I will post it but so far its now 16 hours of flame and it still has oil.

Jaydawg

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2010, 07:01:03 AM »
Excellent review.  I have the same data points.  16 hours and still going...that bottle of lamp oil is going to last awhile. 

tonsofguns

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2010, 07:38:09 PM »
I gotta say, since doing the review this little lamp has really grown on me. If it wasn't so frickin light, I would have scored it higher. Then again, it would be a great lamp for a backpacker or a houseless.

Something I forgot to add in my review that I will the next time is a point score based on ten areas, such as durability, price, alternate uses, accessories needed, ease of use, design, reliability, field expedient-ness (:)) and some other things to be thought up later. In fact, we should come up with a standard of ten areas to judge all our equipment easily and equally. Example; I think for this lamp I would rate it a 6 out of 10 because of the negatives of being light weight, the glass is harder to replace, you need to purchase oil for proper use, and fuel level is hard to judge.

Ok lemme know what you all think about this judging standard!!!

ETA: I fixed my review to add the point system. mahalo!
« Last Edit: July 24, 2010, 07:51:25 PM by tonsofguns »

Jaydawg

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2010, 08:00:58 PM »
I gotta tell you a funny story about when I first lit this thing up.  I've never lit one up before, so I read and re-read the directions.  So I go to light it up and poof bright flame, sooty smoke.  Turned the knob the WRONG way and the house filled with smoke. I thought I was going to burn the house down.   :shake:

So I figure I'll light it up outside and bring it in when it's ready.

Jaydawg

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2010, 12:01:02 PM »
I picked up some extra wicks on your recommendation and noticed the lamps were all gone at the Mililani Wal-Mart.  I also picked up a small funnel made by the same company so I wouldn't be using my automotive funnels.  I think they were $2.

tonsofguns

« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2010, 10:48:36 PM »
With this lamp its easy to burn up the wick because you can't see the oil level.

Has anyone tried the traditional style hurricane lanterns from this company? I bought two about a year ago and stashed them somewhere, if I find one I will review it also.