Kamala Leghorn (Read 3817 times)

ren

Deeds Not Words

QUIETShooter

Re: Kamala Leghorn
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2024, 09:19:25 AM »
https://www.foxnews.com/media/kamala-harris-goes-viral-cringe-new-accent-detroit-rally-sparks-foghorn-leghorn-comparisons

Cackle like a hyena and talk like a Looney Tunes cartoon rooster.

If people continue to be stupid and vote on anything other than policy, this will be our new president of the doomed and soon to be un-United States.
Sometimes you gotta know when to save your bullets.

groveler

Re: Kamala Leghorn
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2024, 07:53:45 PM »
Cackle like a hyena and talk like a Looney Tunes cartoon rooster.

If people continue to be stupid and vote on anything other than policy, this will be our new president of the doomed and soon to be un-United States.
I grew up in Reagan era Calif.
I went into the military and ended up in WA state with
somewhat normal people Democrats, crazy but can be lived with.
Then I relocated to Bat Shiite crazy Democrat Hawaii.
I would not walk ten feet to save a Hawaii Democrat,
I'd just call 911 and let them bleed out as I left the scene.
I'm afraid I'd be sued or arrested as I'm a Haloe guy.
 :wave:

rpoL98

Re: Kamala Leghorn
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2024, 11:38:49 PM »
she gives the same speech in 2 different cities, 2 completely different accents.

this ho has an identity complex, doesn't know who da heck she is.

twitter:
https://x.com/dom_lucre/status/1830740706056392793



So fake!
« Last Edit: September 03, 2024, 11:49:40 PM by rpoL98 »

rpoL98

Re: Kamala Leghorn
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2024, 01:52:33 AM »

eyeeatingfish

Re: Kamala Leghorn
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2024, 09:59:37 AM »
I was thinking about this tendency of hers seriously and I am not sure why it is, or why it should be such a big deal.

Some people engage in code switching which is changing the language, speaking style, etc. depending on the crowd one is talking to. Honestly, I find myself doing this all the time. If I am talking to locals I speak one way, if I go to the mainland I talk another way, if I talk to a child I talk in a different way, etc. Code switching makes a lot of sense in terms of interacting with people. People are more comfortable around you if you sound like them. If this is what she is doing I don't think that is a fair criticism of her.

There are far more meaningful things to criticize her on than the fact she changes her accent. It won't make her a better or worse president.

ren

Re: Kamala Leghorn
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2024, 10:22:47 AM »
Code switching is a fancy term for pandering. Be true to yourself and others.
Deeds Not Words

Flapp_Jackson

Re: Kamala Leghorn
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2024, 11:53:51 AM »
I was thinking about this tendency of hers seriously and I am not sure why it is, or why it should be such a big deal.

Some people engage in code switching which is changing the language, speaking style, etc. depending on the crowd one is talking to. Honestly, I find myself doing this all the time. If I am talking to locals I speak one way, if I go to the mainland I talk another way, if I talk to a child I talk in a different way, etc. Code switching makes a lot of sense in terms of interacting with people. People are more comfortable around you if you sound like them. If this is what she is doing I don't think that is a fair criticism of her.

There are far more meaningful things to criticize her on than the fact she changes her accent. It won't make her a better or worse president.

It's one thing to adopt a Southern accent when in the South, a more generic accent in the Midwest and  Western states, and a "local" dialect when speaking Pigeon around Hawaii locals.

it's quite another to assume that all Blacks, all Whites or all Hawaii locals talk the same.

She's trying to appear more Black, because she's running as a Black woman.  It's important that she try to pander to Black voters.  But changing speech patterns, accents, and vocabulary intentionally just shows how disingenuous she is. 

When i go back to the South, I notice  I'm reverting to my Southern dialect, but it's purely unintentional based on where I was raised and being around others that speak that way for a few days.

I doubt seriously if Kamala is spending any real time in the areas in which she's changing accents much less talking to the local residents enough to assimilate their accent.

She never once talked about being Black before the 2020 election.  She always talked about her Indian heritage for the most part.  Now she's suddenly Black.  How convenient.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2024, 12:02:13 PM by Flapp_Jackson »
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world;
the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself.
Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man.
-- George Bernard Shaw

QUIETShooter

Re: Kamala Leghorn
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2024, 12:00:13 PM »
I was thinking about this tendency of hers seriously and I am not sure why it is, or why it should be such a big deal.

Some people engage in code switching which is changing the language, speaking style, etc. depending on the crowd one is talking to. Honestly, I find myself doing this all the time. If I am talking to locals I speak one way, if I go to the mainland I talk another way, if I talk to a child I talk in a different way, etc. Code switching makes a lot of sense in terms of interacting with people. People are more comfortable around you if you sound like them. If this is what she is doing I don't think that is a fair criticism of her.

There are far more meaningful things to criticize her on than the fact she changes her accent. It won't make her a better or worse president.

I don't.

Except when I talk to a child.  I mean they're children.  Still learning.

And times when with close family and friends.

But socially amongst strangers and work colleagues?  Nah.  I talk the same way I always do, no matter what color, cultural, or ethnic group they supposedly belong to.
Sometimes you gotta know when to save your bullets.

oldfart

Re: Kamala Leghorn
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2024, 01:10:25 PM »
Code switching is a fancy term for pandering. Be true to yourself and others.
=======
I never heard the term "code switching" before.
It's the same as going to a foreign country and attempting to speak the language.
What, Me Worry?

Flapp_Jackson

Re: Kamala Leghorn
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2024, 01:55:24 PM »
=======
I never heard the term "code switching" before.
It's the same as going to a foreign country and attempting to speak the language.

Actually, it's a sign of respect to learn the local language instead of assuming the whole world speaks yours.

But, when you intentionally try to speak with an accent or dialect in order to pander, it's disrespectful. 

Imagine a person living in Idaho their whole life arriving on Oahu for a 1 week vacation trying to hold a conversation in Pidgin with every local they encounter.

Better to be your genuine self than to act like a stereotype.  English is English.  No need to adopt a false accent to pretend you're one of "them."

https://youtu.be/g0j2dVuhr6s?t=58
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world;
the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself.
Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man.
-- George Bernard Shaw

rpoL98

Re: Kamala Leghorn
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2024, 05:45:03 PM »
i think all of us have run into the 1-week mainlander who tries to speak pidgin, still nursing a sunburn.  I don't think it's disrespectful per se, however, he is making a fool of himself, and none of us want to tell him that.  so we all sort of just smile and nod, because we respect him, no need to bruise his ego.

but nobody for one minute believes that it sounds genuine.

eyeeatingfish

Re: Kamala Leghorn
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2024, 11:45:09 PM »
Code switching is a fancy term for pandering. Be true to yourself and others.

Depends on the purpose. I could see it being done in an insulting way but not inherently.

I see some people who keep their speaking style consistent no matter who they are talking to but I see others who adapt to the crowd they are talking to.

Some of it can even be viewed culturally. In Japanese there are multiple different speaking styles depending on who you are talking to using an honorifics system and they change back and forth multiple times a day, both in style and in actual vocabulary.

oldfart

Re: Kamala Leghorn
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2024, 06:16:28 AM »
Some years back, I was watching a news story that had the mayor of Maui in it.
I noticed that he had a particular style of pidgin english or accent. Since I grew up on Maui, it sounded normal but distinctive.
Shortly thereafter, I heard one of my coworkers yakking and I heard the same "pidgin accent".
Sure enough, that coworker also grew up on Maui.

Even here in Hawaii, there are dialects of pidgin which are distinctive to different islands.
What, Me Worry?

QUIETShooter

Re: Kamala Leghorn
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2024, 07:43:28 AM »
True but they are still being true to themselves.

Maybe this kind of behavior is just inherent of politicians.  obama used to talk ebonics when needed to but he doesn't always talk that way.

He was talking popolo at the DNC convention.  I didn't watch his speech nor watched the convention but there is snippets of his popolo speech on YouTube.  Funny stuff.

Trump doesn't talk ebonic when he appeals to the Black crowd does he?  If he does that would be f*ckn funny.  Like that lady in the movie Airplane!

A person interested in becoming a politician must make this commitment:  I will lie through my mouth, through my nose, and through my A$$........
Sometimes you gotta know when to save your bullets.

Flapp_Jackson

Re: Kamala Leghorn
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2024, 12:59:37 PM »
I don't think she needs to try to appear black. If in doubt as Migos.

Thanks for your opinion.

Harris appears to disagree with you, since that's exactly what she's doing: 
pretending to be Black through her speech patterns in order to pander.

Quote
A group of black men at a Dauphin County, Pennsylvania, barbershop expressed
doubts about Vice President Kamala Harris' racial identity in a clip aired by CNN
on Saturday.

This comes after former President Donald Trump suggested at a National Association
of Black Journalists (NABJ) event that Harris recently began identifying as black
rather than Indian.

Local CBS affiliate reporter Joel Smith asked the men whether Harris would influence
their likelihood to vote Democrat.

One man queried the group, “Is Kamala black, yes or no?” Responses varied, with one
man saying he didn't consider her Black, and another acknowledging her mixed heritage.
Harris' father is Black and from Jamaica, while her mother is Indian.
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/black-pennsylvania-barbershop-voters-called-low-information-voters-on-cnn-segment/ar-AA1odEnU
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world;
the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself.
Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man.
-- George Bernard Shaw

ren

Re: Kamala Leghorn
« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2024, 01:23:57 PM »
I don't think she needs to try to appear black. If in doubt as Migos.

word salad like your mom

Deeds Not Words

QUIETShooter

Re: Kamala Leghorn
« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2024, 02:59:45 PM »

word salad like your mom



At least I can make out what their mom kamala is saying, even though none of it makes sense.

But these people, WTF are they saying???!! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
 :rofl:
Hate to make fun but........ :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Sometimes you gotta know when to save your bullets.

ren

Re: Kamala Leghorn
« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2024, 03:14:37 PM »
At least I can make out what their mom kamala is saying, even though none of it makes sense.

But these people, WTF are they saying???!! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
 :rofl:
Hate to make fun but........ :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

they call it trap, mumble rap. garbage. use lots of Autotune to enhance their awful voices amd baby language lyrics
Deeds Not Words

oldfart

Re: Kamala Leghorn
« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2024, 01:57:14 AM »
they call it trap, mumble rap. garbage. use lots of Autotune to enhance their awful voices amd baby language lyrics
...
Social media role models for the young children of America. 👍
What, Me Worry?