please submit testimony to OPPOSE SB3196, HI "Assault Weapon Ban", due 2/22/24 (Read 2020 times)

Bubz94

Submitted

zippz

I went into the capitol on Tuesday trying to get support.  I finally got to talk to my Senator Elefante who is anti-gun.  I tried to talk to him last year but got brushed off.  This time I went to his office during lunch and he gave me 10 minutes.  I asked if he knew about DC v Heller SCOTUS ruling and he said no.  So I went over the ruling how an entire class of firearms (handguns) couldn't be banned in DC and how it's the same to the firearms being banned in SB3196.  Then moved on to one of the main reasons, but not the only one, for having a 2A is to fight against foreign and domestic threats and that's what an AR15 is for.  You can hate it, but it's the nation's tradition and what rights are meant to protect.  He didn't have any questions and I don't think I changed anything, but at least I got some time.

Met with Mike Gabbard for a little while and thanked him for his 2A support and how we need him on Friday as it'll be a close vote.  He was very energetic and confident in his 2A support.  Brenton Awa wasn't in but gave the staff a message to pass on.  San Buenaventura seemed busy so I just smiled and waved and gave a message to the staff.  Saw Karl Rhoads as he was entering the elevator, he took a second look at me as the doors closed.

See how it goes on Friday
Join the Hawaii Firearms Coalition at www.hifico.org.  Hawaii's new non-profit gun rights organization focused on lobbying and grassroots activism.

Hawaii Shooting Calendar - https://calendar.google.com/calendar/embed?src=practicalmarksman.com_btllod1boifgpp8dcjnbnruhso%40group.calendar.google.com&ctz=Pacific/Honolulu

zippz

Friday's hearing is "Decision Making Only" so no oral or zoom testimonies will be taken.  However we still need some people to attend to represent and add the pressure.  Go if you're free that day but don't take the day off work.  The vote will take about 15 minutes unless there's delays.

1.  Wear a visible and noticeable gun or hunting related clothing.  The Senators need to visually know what you are there for since you can't talk.  Wear a shooting jersey, 2A shirt, hunting camo, orange vest, orange or camo cap, minuteman shirt, or something.

2.  Get there early and make a last minute visit to their offices in this order of importance, they should be free.
Sen San Buenaventura, Room 213
Sen Mike Gabbard, Room 201
Sen Brenton Awa, Room 203
Sen Brandon Elefante, Room 217
Sen Karl Rhoads, Room 228

3.  The hearing is at 9:30am in room 016 Chamber Level (basement).  SB3196 is the 3rd bill up for a vote.  Make your presence known when they call the bill number and let them know you're watching them and will remember this.

4.  If you stick around for the end of the hearing (30 to 45 minutes) thank the senators that opposed the bill.

Recommend trying basement parking at the Capitol on Miller St, should have parking if you go early.  $2/hr with cash or credit cards.   If not, try the other places.  https://ethics.hawaii.gov/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/Capitol-Map.pdf

There is security screening and ID check at the Capitol.  No weapons allowed in.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2024, 10:09:51 AM by zippz »
Join the Hawaii Firearms Coalition at www.hifico.org.  Hawaii's new non-profit gun rights organization focused on lobbying and grassroots activism.

Hawaii Shooting Calendar - https://calendar.google.com/calendar/embed?src=practicalmarksman.com_btllod1boifgpp8dcjnbnruhso%40group.calendar.google.com&ctz=Pacific/Honolulu

AmbuBadger

Submitted as well. I commented that I'm a firefighter and mentioned that even when we call HPD by radio to assist with violent patients or traffic control, they're still a few minutes away. I also mentioned that both the moms at the park who talk to my wife and the fellow firefighters and paramedics I work with-- some of whom were anti-gun-- are now asking us how to get firearms before the bill becomes law and noticing that bad people are just being turned loose by our "justice" system. I mentioned that the only good thing about this bill will be the number voters they're turning to our side.

jd0210

Looks like sen buenaventura is the tie breaker.  Do you think she is swayable?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

changemyoil66

Looks like sen buenaventura is the tie breaker.  Do you think she is swayable?

A few years ago, they tried to ban the loaning of rifles/shotugns from 15 days to 3 days. She was the main one asking HPD questions. It went something like:

"So if someone goes hunting and they're out there for usually a week, then 3 days isn't long enough. So they would need 7 days right?  Now what if they go to another island, for a week. It may also take them a day or 2 to travel and get set up. And 2 week hunting trips also isnt' uncommon. So now we're at 14 days of needing to borrow a rifle."

They basically circled back from 3 days to 15 days.

In recent years, she has also been voting more "aye with reservations" instead of just "aye". In the end, it's still an aye vote, but she has some concerns about the bills.

QUIETShooter

I wonder if "aye with reservations" is a re-election strategy.  Trying to avoid being the bad guy.

We all agree an "aye" is an "aye".

It's about as wishy washy as "I agree he is guilty, but I wonder if he really is that guilty...."
Sometimes you gotta know when to save your bullets.

zippz

I wonder if "aye with reservations" is a re-election strategy.  Trying to avoid being the bad guy.

We all agree an "aye" is an "aye".

It's about as wishy washy as "I agree he is guilty, but I wonder if he really is that guilty...."

There is a little known strategy in it.  If the opposition vote is going to fail, a person may vote aye with reservations instead of no.  A person voting no is ineligible to be on the final conference committee at the end of the session, which is another chance to defeat the bill.

changemyoil66

There is a little known strategy in it.  If the opposition vote is going to fail, a person may vote aye with reservations instead of no.  A person voting no is ineligible to be on the final conference committee at the end of the session, which is another chance to defeat the bill.

This too.

randay

what? so if you voted no previously, you arent allowed to be on the last committee that hears the bill? what if you vote yes, are you allowed?

jd0210

Hopefully she opposes. I sent her a email last night

changemyoil66

I went into the capitol on Tuesday trying to get support.  I finally got to talk to my Senator Elefante who is anti-gun.  I tried to talk to him last year but got brushed off.  This time I went to his office during lunch and he gave me 10 minutes.  I asked if he knew about DC v Heller SCOTUS ruling and he said no.  So I went over the ruling how an entire class of firearms (handguns) couldn't be banned in DC and how it's the same to the firearms being banned in SB3196.  Then moved on to one of the main reasons, but not the only one, for having a 2A is to fight against foreign and domestic threats and that's what an AR15 is for.  You can hate it, but it's the nation's tradition and what rights are meant to protect.  He didn't have any questions and I don't think I changed anything, but at least I got some time.

Met with Mike Gabbard for a little while and thanked him for his 2A support and how we need him on Friday as it'll be a close vote.  He was very energetic and confident in his 2A support.  Brenton Awa wasn't in but gave the staff a message to pass on.  San Buenaventura seemed busy so I just smiled and waved and gave a message to the staff.  Saw Karl Rhoads as he was entering the elevator, he took a second look at me as the doors closed.

See how it goes on Friday

Awesome zipps!!!

QUIETShooter

Interesting and thank you for sharing this. 
Sometimes you gotta know when to save your bullets.