No Sugar 2 Weeks (Read 5346 times)

hvybarrels

No Sugar 2 Weeks
« on: December 05, 2022, 10:24:22 PM »
Includes all the other carbs as well. Could you do it?

“Wars happen when the government tells you who the enemy is. Revolutions happen when you figure it out for yourselves.”

Flapp_Jackson

Re: No Sugar 2 Weeks
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2022, 11:25:22 PM »

I watched a few of his videos.  Got a lot of good info from them.

So far, I've been doing Keto for 6 months.  I'm down 35-40 lbs, almost no sugar (1-2 grams in some ingredients, normally natural and not added), carbs in the <10 grams per day, no wheat flour, etc.

I've stopped needing Famotidine for GURD, fixed my persistent cough (likely GURD and sinus related), and can do the intermittent fasting with one meal a day, sometimes just a snack.

I'm planning to make keto cheese danish tomorrow. 

Worst part of this eating plan:  with only one meal a day, it takes forever to get around to trying new recipes.   :popcorn:

I did the Adkins Diet many years ago and had great results.  This new one includes smaller amounts of protein, but it's very similar.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
"How can you diagnose someone with an obsessive-compulsive disorder
and then act as though I had some choice about barging in?"
-- Melvin Udall

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2022, 11:40:31 PM »
One thing to consider:  the keto-friendly products are not cheap.  But, when you stop eating as many meals, assuming you do the intermittent fasting, you offset the cost with less consumption.

Monkfruit sweeteners do very well for me.  The granular and powder types have erythritol added and are used 1:1 as a sugar substitute.  But the liquid Monkfruit works great in iced tea.  Just a few drops in a glass is plenty.

Almond flour and coconut flour are good substitutes for most recipes.  It's amazing how many batters can be made with cheese, like for pizza.

It's like learning a new language .... just have to translate what you already know into new terms.

Costco is carrying some of the keto products like almond flour.  Much of what I get is through Amazon.
-- Melvin Udall

QUIETShooter

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2022, 09:31:22 AM »

I'm trying but I guess I'm too weak minded.  I love snacks and basically love to eat.

With that being said I did lose 20 lbs. since retiring 3 years ago.

So anyway I weighed myself and now I’m 28 lbs. lighter than I was 3 years ago.

However I’m concerned that my A1c will be higher.  The readings on my glucose meter seems to suggest this.  I could blame the holidays but I would be deceiving myself.  I’m to blame.

I worked so hard to get off the glipizide medication and wouldn’t surprise me if I go right back on it again.  We’ll see in 2 weeks when I take a blood test and see the Dr.

« Last Edit: January 27, 2023, 01:43:59 PM by QUIETShooter »
Sometimes you gotta know when to save your bullets.

changemyoil66

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2022, 11:29:50 AM »
No "sugar" is easy, no carbs is harder.

I've done 2 bodybuilding shows, so my max carb allowance was 12g a day for 12-16 weeks.  And protein intake 300g a day.

My first show I went from 175lbs to 123lbs. 2nd show I went from 212lbs to 154lbs.  And all while training max effort in the gym 5x a week and drug free (gear or clen like products).

I loved my cheat days. I could eat as much carbs as I want for 12 hours. The clock starts when ever, so I would do it in the morning like 7am-7pm.  Cause I didn't want to waste time sleeping.  I would often do 5 cups uncooked riced, 6 cans Aloha Iced Tea, 1 package somen noodles (the blue package), just no fats.

I was never a big dessert fan, but I love my rice.  That is my Achilles Heel.

1 trick we used cause meal prepping sucks.  Make Shoyu chicken and instead of sugar, use stevia or like product.  Just dump the 5lbs bag chicken breast into a big pot with the ingredients and let it cook for like an hour.  No need constant flipping of breast like if you were to grill or pan fry.  This saved hours of cooking a week.  Crock pot works even better. 

When weight training and low carbing, the nice part is you can have as much sodium as you want.  In fact, you need to increase it due to having no carbs to help retain water.

I used to work at a supplement shop and people would also over complicate dieting. It's simple math, burn more calories than you're intaking. So if you want to eat a pizza, go ahead, but you better be running like 20 miles that day.  The easiest way to reduce calories is by cutting sugar/carbs. 

Most people when they low carb it takes them a few weeks for their body to adjust and they don't feel like shit all the time. For me, I felt like shit during my entire diet period (12-16 weeks).  So everyone responds differently.  The other thing is the mind slows down with the lack of carbs.  It was nice my old boss also competed in the 80's. So she would see me on days im really laggy and just tell me to go home.  This helped a lot.  She would also bring me food cause she knew what I was allowed to eat. 

People also forget about the hidden carbs. Like teri sauce that has sugar in it, or katsu breading. 

passivekinetic

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2022, 11:34:28 AM »
I've definitely become much healthier after eliminating obvious sugar from my diet (e.g., candies, soft drinks, etc.) and no alcohol, and limited caffeine (dehydrates our precious organs). Great for my wallet too! I am not into the zero carbs thing (I did try it a number of years ago and massive lost weight, but it was not easy to maintain that regimen. Zero added sugar is one thing. Zero carbs is not easy! LOL).

Things like COVID are not as scary as they make it out to be but is not nice to get, and you want to recover sooner with less hassle. So, prioritizing health is crucial.

Also try sleeping earlier and waking up earlier. Sounds simple but it works!
"The sheep fear sheepdogs, because they fail to see the wolves."
- Anonymous

QUIETShooter

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2022, 01:01:06 PM »

I've done 2 bodybuilding shows, so my max carb allowance was 12g a day for 12-16 weeks.  And protein intake 300g a day.

My first show I went from 175lbs to 123lbs. 2nd show I went from 212lbs to 154lbs.  And all while training max effort in the gym 5x a week and drug free (gear or clen like products).

I loved my cheat days. I could eat as much carbs as I want for 12 hours. The clock starts when ever, so I would do it in the morning like 7am-7pm.  Cause I didn't want to waste time sleeping.  I would often do 5 cups uncooked riced, 6 cans Aloha Iced Tea, 1 package somen noodles (the blue package), just no fats.

1 trick we used cause meal prepping sucks.  Make Shoyu chicken and instead of sugar, use stevia or like product.  Just dump the 5lbs bag chicken breast into a big pot with the ingredients and let it cook for like an hour.  No need constant flipping of breast like if you were to grill or pan fry.  This saved hours of cooking a week.  Crock pot works even better. 

When weight training and low carbing, the nice part is you can have as much sodium as you want.  In fact, you need to increase it due to having no carbs to help retain water.

I used to work at a supplement shop and people would also over complicate dieting. It's simple math, burn more calories than you're intaking. So if you want to eat a pizza, go ahead, but you better be running like 20 miles that day.  The easiest way to reduce calories is by cutting sugar/carbs. 

Most people when they low carb it takes them a few weeks for their body to adjust and they don't feel like shit all the time. For me, I felt like shit during my entire diet period (12-16 weeks).  So everyone responds differently.  The other thing is the mind slows down with the lack of carbs.  It was nice my old boss also competed in the 80's. So she would see me on days im really laggy and just tell me to go home.  This helped a lot.  She would also bring me food cause she knew what I was allowed to eat. 

People also forget about the hidden carbs. Like teri sauce that has sugar in it, or katsu breading.

Yeah, low carbs or no carb diets are really hard.  And I also love my rice.  Trying to not have rice in my life would make me downright miserable.

But I did cut down on rice.  Once in a while I'll eat brown rice and on rare occasions I go all out and cheat and eat white rice with stew or prime rib.  I'm strange.  I simply adore eating prime rib and white rice.

Actually, knowing that I will allow myself to cheat on occasions is what keeps me going.

And I exercise.  When I was working I used to stress-eat and because my job was highly physical, I hardly ever worked out.  But now that I'm retired I do light weight lifting and jump on the elliptical.

I also adhere to the 18/6 rule of fasting.  Fast from 6 pm to 12 pm the next day followed by light lunch and a sensible meal at 6 pm.  In between maybe an apple or something like that.

But cheating once in a while is the best time.  I go all out! :shaka:

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2022, 02:34:25 PM »
If we could all eat what we like IN MODERATION, most would not have any diet problems.

The real issue is, what's "moderate?"  50 years ago, we didn't see Big Gulps, Big Macs, Super-Sizing, etc.

The French are famous for their very delicious, high fat, high carb recipes, but they serve them in very moderate (read "small") portions -- often with wine.  Yet, France has a very low rate of heart disease and certain cancers.

Here in the US, going for seconds and thirds is a common behavior.

I think portion control died a long time ago.  Now we have to offset years of bad habits or large portions with low carb meals and intermittent fasting.

With inflation driving up the cost of food, it's getting harder to make smart choices when a fast food combo meal is not only cheaper but also quicker and easier than shopping and cooking.

To me, it's much easier to tell myself I can have anything I want -- no depriving myself of anything.  But, I also have the choice to pick what I think is best  for me -- no pressure or impulsive decisions.

Don't think about all the things you can't have.  Focus on all the things you can.
-- Melvin Udall

jonjon

« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2022, 10:38:23 AM »

where's the pic's???? or the onlyfans link??? asking for a friend :D

changemyoil66

« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2022, 11:56:14 AM »
where's the pic's???? or the onlyfans link??? asking for a friend :D

I do need money for ammo.  :rofl:

Side note, I know a gay guy at our gym who does OF and he made enough over the past year to buy a home in HI (cash). He quit his job and everything.  I'll let u figure out what he post on his OF. He's thinking of moving to the mainland soon.

changemyoil66

« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2022, 12:00:16 PM »

Actually, knowing that I will allow myself to cheat on occasions is what keeps me going.

I only did my diet for a specific reason. So it was only for a short time. I could not maintain this year round.  I would hate life if I did.  AKA crash dieting.

So the key like Flapp also mentioned is moderation. So enjoy food, but in moderation.  Once I hit a certain age, I'm going to eat what ever I want. This would probably be a package of  bacon like every other day.

Crash dieting is good to get the process started for non bodybuilding people, but then maintain after that.  So expect to gain a some weight back, but at least you get to enjoy life.

IMO brown rice sucks. And taste worst with sauces (shoyu, gravy, teri,etc...). 

QUIETShooter

« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2022, 01:11:13 PM »

IMO brown rice sucks. And taste worst with sauces (shoyu, gravy, teri,etc...).

I agree.  Plus I get hard time cooking it.  I either burn it, or it is too hard, or too soft.  Even when I put the right amount of water. 

But it helps me manage my blood sugar.  And it's ok when I make it porridge style.

Rocky

« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2022, 01:52:06 PM »
Wrong time of the year.
It's COOKIE SEASON !   :love:!
“I ask you to judge me by the enemies I have made.”
                                                           Franklin D. Roosevelt

hvybarrels

« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2022, 04:00:19 AM »
I only did my diet for a specific reason. So it was only for a short time. I could not maintain this year round.  I would hate life if I did.  AKA crash dieting.

I’m too heavy for shorty boards and it’s already a week into December. Time for desperate measures.

Day one I ran into a friend who said eliminating sugar and all factory food made his arthritis go away, so I’ll take that as a sign.

Day two the headaches start. Gotta try some of that MCT oil.
“Wars happen when the government tells you who the enemy is. Revolutions happen when you figure it out for yourselves.”

RSN172

« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2022, 06:03:04 AM »
One thing I always had a problem with is gaining weight. In my late 20s I started weight lifting for several years since I had an office job at Hawaiian Airlines and wasn't getting much exercise. One of my conditioning workouts would be squatting 90 lbs 80 times without stopping. A female Olympic skier had that in her workout routine is why I started it. Anyway I wanted to gain weight and was taking some weight gaining supplements with ice cream and bananas and eating about 6000 calories a day.  In 2 months on a rather expensive weight gaining diet I gained 4 lbs. I stopped that diet.  Didn’t gain weight but my strength and stamina was extremely good.  Today at age 72.5, I pretty much eat what I like, still trimming trees part time and do not need to take any prescription medication.  My BP is usually around 120-130 over 75-90.  My lower number has always been on the higher side.  I thank God everyday for my good health.

QUIETShooter

« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2022, 06:03:47 AM »
Wrong time of the year.
It's COOKIE SEASON !   :love:!

Yeah, along with a multitude of desserts, cakes, candies....... ;D

It's going to be hard for me to practice moderation.  I love this stuff.

My biggest challenge will be my blood test results when I visit my Dr. in Feb.  We are both excited that my past tests shows that she might be able to eliminate or reduce my medications for diabetes and high blood pressure.

But it sure is a bad time because 'tis the season, lol!!

My family has a tradition of "Secret Santa".  We draw names and then buy for that person anonymously based on their Christmas wish lists that we all submit.

My Christmas wish list?

Maui Caramacs, Chocolate Macadamia Nuts, and Almond Roca!! :rofl:

changemyoil66

« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2022, 09:08:01 AM »
One thing I always had a problem with is gaining weight. In my late 20s I started weight lifting for several years since I had an office job at Hawaiian Airlines and wasn't getting much exercise. One of my conditioning workouts would be squatting 90 lbs 80 times without stopping. A female Olympic skier had that in her workout routine is why I started it. Anyway I wanted to gain weight and was taking some weight gaining supplements with ice cream and bananas and eating about 6000 calories a day.  In 2 months on a rather expensive weight gaining diet I gained 4 lbs. I stopped that diet.  Didn’t gain weight but my strength and stamina was extremely good.  Today at age 72.5, I pretty much eat what I like, still trimming trees part time and do not need to take any prescription medication.  My BP is usually around 120-130 over 75-90.  My lower number has always been on the higher side.  I thank God everyday for my good health.

When you're doing 80 reps, you're burning way more calories than doing 5 reps and going heavier.  Thus you need to eat more to factor this type of workouts in.  I have people ask me how to gain weight and I say " eat more". Then they say " I do eat a lot".  I tell them, "I said eat more, not eat a lot. So what ever you're eating now isn't enough. So you need to eat more". Then 100% of the time I ask them what they eat then tell them what I eat and they're like "WOW, that's a lot".  So  "eating a lot" is relative to the individual.

Olympians usually have dieticians who tell them what to eat and when.

When I was in my bulking phase, my calories just from carbs was about 5000.  Carbs as in rice, oatmeal, or maldodrexton.  Not sugars like juice or from fruits.

Brystont1

« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2022, 09:16:33 AM »
I tried keto and carnivore. Both didn’t work out for me. I felt good but I had no energy and no strength. Lost weight but felt lethargic all the time. What really helped was focusing my meals around protein. I noticed that I could eat more and I would take in less calories. If I choose low calorie high protein foods I noticed that I was way less hungry and I actually had a hard time eating all my food. Down 20lbs and I haven’t even started working out.

hvybarrels

« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2022, 11:43:32 AM »
Got off track with the flu that’s going around and was taking Manuka honey to try and keep it from going into my lungs. It definitely felt like my metabolism was slowing down when I introduced sugar back in. Recovered from the bug and on the wagon again. So far looks like I lost 5 lbs already. Also doing low carb and intermittent fasting. There’s some dizziness at times but wifey tells me it goes away in a few days. We started at the same time and she never took a break, so now she’s already over the difficult part.

changemyoil66

« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2022, 12:41:43 PM »
I felt good but I had no energy and no strength. Lost weight but felt lethargic all the time.

This means you're doing the diet correct.  I talk to guys who are doing bodybuilding and natural.  2 weeks out and they feel great. Often they still don't look ready because they feel great.  They should feel like shit and be a zombie in the gym at this point.

The exception is going the PED route.  You can be 2 weeks out and ready and still feel relatively OK.  No zombie.

Also your strength doesn't go up when you lose weight.  Especially when losing a lot of weight. 2-3lbs prob not much of a diff. But 20lbs will be noticeable.  But again, when on gear or clen is the exception.  Guys on PEDs will get bigger while dieting (more muscle, less fat).