George Young Passes Away (Read 847 times)

changemyoil66

George Young Passes Away
« on: March 21, 2024, 10:45:46 AM »

From Atty Alan Beck

"Sgt. Major George K. Young Jr. (Retired U.S. Army Green Beret) passed on earlier this week.  He was my first client I represented on my own.  Prior to meeting me, he had filed two pro se lawsuit against Hawaii's concealed carry restrictions.  That means he was his own lawyer.  I corresponded with him while working on my first federal case.  Shortly, there after he told me he was going to file a third lawsuit.  After he was dismissed a third time, I agreed to represent him on appeal. Together we took the case to the U.S. Supreme Court, prevailed  and compelled the counties in Hawaii to adopt the Bruen ruling which made them begin to issue concealed carry permits for the first time in Hawaiian history.  My first Second Amendment case was supposed to be a one off and I had no intention of filing any subsequent cases until I met George.  He convinced me to keep filing cases and often helped me research colonial history which he was an expert in. He taught me a lot during the ten years I represented him.  Everything that we've accomplished in Hawaii is thanks to George.  He inspired the whole movement we are a part of.  He was a dear friend and he will be deeply missed."

We owe lots to Mr. Young as he and Alan fought and is still fighting for our freedom that HI loves to deny.

oldfart

Re: George Young Passes Away
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2024, 11:31:15 AM »
 :(
Nice bit of Hawaiʻi history here.
What, Me Worry?

changemyoil66

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2024, 01:30:01 PM »
Additional info:

SAF and NRA turned Mr. Young down when he was reaching out for help with his lawsuit.  So did 17 other lawyers.  So he filed the lawsuit on his own.  Then he met Alan Beck and the rest is history.

This shows what 1 man standing up against a stacked deck can do.  HIFICO was formed because after this, Alan also worked with it's founder when HPD told him that permanent resident aliens cannot own guns.  Even though HI and federal law states that they can.

obm

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2024, 12:36:16 PM »
Anyone know if this affects his lawsuit Young v Hawaii?  Does the lawsuit die with him?

macsak

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2024, 12:42:04 PM »
he won

Anyone know if this affects his lawsuit Young v Hawaii?  Does the lawsuit die with him?

changemyoil66

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2024, 12:51:37 PM »

Which is why we have CCW in HI.  The combo of this lawsuit pending and the Bruen ruling made HI change very quickly.

dwela

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2024, 09:46:38 PM »
Rest in peace and thank you for all you did for your country.

Jl808

« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2024, 11:07:17 PM »
Thank you and may you rest in peace.
I think, therefore I am armed.
NRA Life Patron member, HRA Life member, HiFiCo Life Member, HDF member

The United States Constitution © 1791. All Rights Reserved.

QUIETShooter

« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2024, 06:45:38 PM »
Sad that someone like him had to go through all that. :(

Only in Hawaii.  Lots of bananas in Hawaii.

May he Rest in Peace.  Thank you for your service, Brave Soldier.
Sometimes you gotta know when to save your bullets.

nalo_b

« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2024, 03:43:31 PM »
Additional info:

HIFICO was formed because after this, Alan also worked with it's founder when HPD told him that permanent resident aliens cannot own guns.  Even though HI and federal law states that they can.

How does this work cause we talked to hpd about registering a firearm to my wife and they said that she can't. Even though she's lived in the US since 1996.

zippz

« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2024, 10:38:26 PM »
How does this work cause we talked to hpd about registering a firearm to my wife and they said that she can't. Even though she's lived in the US since 1996.

Shouldn't be a problem if she has a green card and meets the training requirements.
Join the Hawaii Firearms Coalition at www.hifico.org.  Hawaii's new non-profit gun rights organization focused on lobbying and grassroots activism.

Hawaii Shooting Calendar - https://calendar.google.com/calendar/embed?src=practicalmarksman.com_btllod1boifgpp8dcjnbnruhso%40group.calendar.google.com&ctz=Pacific/Honolulu

zippz

« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2024, 10:40:05 PM »
March 2023, last time we met with Mr Young.  Kuhio Grill got some ono food.

Join the Hawaii Firearms Coalition at www.hifico.org.  Hawaii's new non-profit gun rights organization focused on lobbying and grassroots activism.

Hawaii Shooting Calendar - https://calendar.google.com/calendar/embed?src=practicalmarksman.com_btllod1boifgpp8dcjnbnruhso%40group.calendar.google.com&ctz=Pacific/Honolulu