CCW Wait Times??? (Read 1251 times)

Flea

CCW Wait Times???
« on: April 28, 2024, 08:40:07 PM »
How long have you folks waited to receive your CCW Permit?  When did you apply?

Could someone also fill me in on the process? I completed both the Basic Firearms class and CCW class.  Should receive affidavits soon.

I understand that I need to go in person to apply and there’s a checklist but the permits need to be picked up? Mailed?

Hopefully others can use this post to get a sense of wait times.

Thanks!

Motorman

Re: CCW Wait Times???
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2024, 10:02:33 PM »
How long have you folks waited to receive your CCW Permit?  When did you apply?

Could someone also fill me in on the process? I completed both the Basic Firearms class and CCW class.  Should receive affidavits soon.

I understand that I need to go in person to apply and there’s a checklist but the permits need to be picked up? Mailed?

Hopefully others can use this post to get a sense of wait times.

Thanks!

Average wait time is 2-3 months nowadays. Licenses, not permits, are not emailed. When approved (or denied), the applicant will receive a certified physical letter stating the license is ready for pick up from the registration-side of the police station (or that the license application is denied).

All current forms can be found at HonoluluPD.org. The officers who work the CCW part of the firearms unit help the person fill out the form, so fill out the forms best you can at home and the rest will be fixed when you apply.

zippz

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2024, 07:10:42 AM »
Which county are you applying with?  Some are quicker than others and will mail cards.
Join the Hawaii Firearms Coalition at www.hifico.org.  Hawaii's new non-profit gun rights organization focused on lobbying and grassroots activism.

Hawaii Shooting Calendar - https://calendar.google.com/calendar/embed?src=practicalmarksman.com_btllod1boifgpp8dcjnbnruhso%40group.calendar.google.com&ctz=Pacific/Honolulu

changemyoil66

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2024, 08:37:47 AM »
If on Oahu,

I've been waiting almost 3 months.  The wait time word on the street is about 3 months.  At 4 months, due to the new law passing, you're automatically denied and need to start from zero again, which includes paying another $150 and retaking the shooting qualification (90 days valid for).

If you're approved, you get a certified letter in the mail telling you, and you need to go back to HPD to take your picture and have your CCW card issued on the spot.

zippz

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2024, 11:58:14 AM »
My Maui renewal took 10 weeks when I did it at the end of 2023.  I've heard it's normally a month but I guess they were busy with the last minute rush.

MPD will also mail the CCW license if provided with a certified mail stamped envelope.
Join the Hawaii Firearms Coalition at www.hifico.org.  Hawaii's new non-profit gun rights organization focused on lobbying and grassroots activism.

Hawaii Shooting Calendar - https://calendar.google.com/calendar/embed?src=practicalmarksman.com_btllod1boifgpp8dcjnbnruhso%40group.calendar.google.com&ctz=Pacific/Honolulu

Flea

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2024, 09:18:15 PM »
If on Oahu,

I've been waiting almost 3 months.  The wait time word on the street is about 3 months.  At 4 months, due to the new law passing, you're automatically denied and need to start from zero again, which includes paying another $150 and retaking the shooting qualification (90 days valid for).

If you're approved, you get a certified letter in the mail telling you, and you need to go back to HPD to take your picture and have your CCW card issued on the spot.

Dang. That sucks. They are asking for a major lawsuit. I am Applying on Oahu.

Thanks to everyone who replied so far!

changemyoil66

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2024, 07:38:30 AM »
Dang. That sucks. They are asking for a major lawsuit. I am Applying on Oahu.

Thanks to everyone who replied so far!

There is already a lawsuit by HIFICO.  I know a guy who finally got his after 1 year 2 months.

QUIETShooter

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2024, 08:16:37 AM »
All these long waits are just a friendly reminder from those in charge as to who holds the hammer on us in this banana republik.

This along with a huge, healthy, wonderful, dose of Aloha Spirit.
Sometimes you gotta know when to save your bullets.

changemyoil66

« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2024, 08:51:28 AM »
All these long waits are just a friendly reminder from those in charge as to who holds the hammer on us in this banana republik.

This along with a huge, healthy, wonderful, dose of Aloha Spirit.

We have no 2A right outside the home, even though Heller said we do.  What we have is permission from HI to be able to exercise that right according to their rules.

macsak

« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2024, 10:19:04 AM »
We have no 2A right outside the home, even though Heller said we do.  What we have is permission from HI to be able to exercise that right according to their rules.

you only get to exercise your aloha spirit...

feedmechurros

« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2024, 01:11:22 PM »
I applied Feb 14. Got my letter in the mail today to go pick it up. Going in on Wednesday on my day off to pick it up. So for Oahu, mine took a little under 3 months.

changemyoil66

« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2024, 01:14:43 PM »
I applied Feb 14. Got my letter in the mail today to go pick it up. Going in on Wednesday on my day off to pick it up. So for Oahu, mine took a little under 3 months.

I applied the same date.  So far, no letter.

Are they still sending it certified mail?  As in, someone must sign for it?

groveler

« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2024, 01:32:31 PM »
WA state
two weeks
You Hawaii guys are idiots.
 :wtf:

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2024, 01:37:48 PM »
WA state
two weeks

So, that makes you half an idiot?

What does that make your wife?

:popcorn:
"How can you diagnose someone with an obsessive-compulsive disorder
and then act as though I had some choice about barging in?"
-- Melvin Udall

changemyoil66

« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2024, 02:09:04 PM »
WA state
two weeks

NV is up to 120 days and each time I applied, 119 days.  NV is much more pro 2A than WA.

akupalu

« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2024, 07:46:53 PM »
I picked up mine today 5/6/24. Applied 1/16/24. Got the letter last Friday in the mail.  There was at least 5 others picking up ccw licenses in front of me  while I was there along with people picking up their permits to aquire. Wait time was about 1.5 hrs in line including waiting to be called back into the office after presenting letter of approval and my ID to wait for the license to be printed? I think they print it after you show up and present your letter and ID.  So anyway total wait time was almost 4 months.

Rocky

« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2024, 06:50:24 AM »
One of my students submitted app 2 weeks ago and received his letter yesterday
“I ask you to judge me by the enemies I have made.”
                                                           Franklin D. Roosevelt

changemyoil66

« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2024, 08:45:01 AM »
One of my students submitted app 2 weeks ago and received his letter yesterday

He knew someone.

This is what's frustrating with the process, there's no FIFO.  Granted the exception that some do take longer for "missing" documents or errors, but I know a good amount of people with zero and totally clean records and some get theirs before others.

xer 21

« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2024, 09:20:32 AM »
He knew someone.

This is what's frustrating with the process, there's no FIFO.  Granted the exception that some do take longer for "missing" documents or errors, but I know a good amount of people with zero and totally clean records and some get theirs before others.
I just applied for my ccw today and i can already see that im likely to get jerked around.   Ive had no issues with permits to acquire, and i got my permit early for my last purchase in december.   But the officer today asked me if i ever needed a physicians letter for my permits to acquire in the past so im already expecting a hold up.

They quoted me the same 2-3 months as per usual but we'll see.   Ill start watching the mail in July.

Sent from my SM-G981U1 using Tapatalk

QUIETShooter

« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2024, 09:28:21 AM »
So, that makes you half an idiot?

What does that make your wife?

:popcorn:

Maybe he has self-deprecating humor.  But I hope his wife didn't read his comment about us Hawaii idiots. :rofl:
Sometimes you gotta know when to save your bullets.