Cheap vs Expensive Red Dots: What's the Difference? (Read 1163 times)

macsak

Cheap vs Expensive Red Dots: What's the Difference?
« on: February 29, 2024, 12:38:34 PM »

ren

Re: Cheap vs Expensive Red Dots: What's the Difference?
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2024, 05:47:40 PM »
Deeds Not Words

stangzilla

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2024, 07:31:14 AM »
Swampfox Mike

ren

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2024, 07:35:28 AM »
Deeds Not Words

changemyoil66

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2024, 07:42:40 AM »
Made in CHYNA

"I have slant eyes.....get over it" -Jedi

ren

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2024, 08:29:05 AM »
https://www.reddit.com/r/Swampfox/comments/15yb8xr/gideon_optics/?rdt=37924

copy of a copy.
Get an Aimpoint. Tried and true. The RDS is about $450 shipped from Aimpoint.
Deeds Not Words

stangzilla

macsak

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2024, 10:20:21 AM »
 guud enuff...

ren

« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2024, 10:35:18 AM »
"I have slant eyes.....get over it" -Jedi

Mark Hamill has always been waycist
Deeds Not Words

drck1000

« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2024, 12:51:33 PM »
guud enuff...
UTG can also be "guud enuff" to some folks. . .

The video makes excellent points.  Are Aimpoint, Trij, etc over priced?  Maybe.  Similar to curren whiskey market and popularity or "because demand is high" markup.  That said, lots of companies spend a bunch of $$$ on T&E prior to market release, whereas some are "lets release and see how it does".  Both are fine, just be transparent on what's going on. 

I have Holosuns and they've been great. . .

stangzilla

« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2024, 12:49:08 PM »
UTG can also be "guud enuff" to some folks. . .

The video makes excellent points.  Are Aimpoint, Trij, etc over priced?  Maybe.  Similar to curren whiskey market and popularity or "because demand is high" markup.  That said, lots of companies spend a bunch of $$$ on T&E prior to market release, whereas some are "lets release and see how it does".  Both are fine, just be transparent on what's going on. 

I have Holosuns and they've been great. . .

I am very satisfied with my Holosuns.  I won't be jumping out of planes or hunting down terrorists, so I think the Holosun dots are plenty for what I need.
Friend of mine just got a Trijicon SRO, going to sight it in soon. hopefully I can shoot it a few times and see how the Trijicon is.

changemyoil66

« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2024, 01:27:56 PM »
I am very satisfied with my Holosuns.  I won't be jumping out of planes or hunting down terrorists, so I think the Holosun dots are plenty for what I need.
Friend of mine just got a Trijicon SRO, going to sight it in soon. hopefully I can shoot it a few times and see how the Trijicon is.

I have limited XP with RDS on pistols, but so far had to change my Holosun battery once.  Glad the tray was on the side and not under the optic. Which means I didn't have to break the loctite on the screws to remove the optic to get to the battery. Then reinstall according to torq specs and put more loctite on it. Then redraw the refernce makers and re-zero.  I changed the battery about 30 mins before the CCW class as I was getting some last reps in dry firing and noticed the flickering of the red dot.  Could the battery have lasted for another hour, probably, but IDK. So I spent 2 mins changing the batter and problem solved.

I mean, I could re-zero good enough once I know where the dot sits on the front site if I had a bottom battery load.

My CCw qual.

drck1000

« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2024, 06:21:10 PM »
I wouldn’t consider my intended uses as “hard use” by any means, but tried and true in a variety of uses does say a lot. I’ve seen Holosuns get beat up quite a bit. Holosuns definitely have a big following for handgun RDS, where I’d say they have a large sample size/group. Lesser for rifle RDS, but know quite a few folks who have used and abused for a while and have done well.

SRO has quite a large following as well, especially with competition shooters. Have seen them a lot on recent pistol RDS courses, along with RMR and Holosun. Still have RMRs, but plenty of other options available these days that avoid the battery access “hassle”. I would have gotten one for a new gun a bought recently, but going to hold out for the RCR.

drck1000

« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2024, 06:22:52 PM »
I have limited XP with RDS on pistols, but so far had to change my Holosun battery once.  Glad the tray was on the side and not under the optic. Which means I didn't have to break the loctite on the screws to remove the optic to get to the battery. Then reinstall according to torq specs and put more loctite on it. Then redraw the refernce makers and re-zero.  I changed the battery about 30 mins before the CCW class as I was getting some last reps in dry firing and noticed the flickering of the red dot.  Could the battery have lasted for another hour, probably, but IDK. So I spent 2 mins changing the batter and problem solved.

I mean, I could re-zero good enough once I know where the dot sits on the front site if I had a bottom battery load.

My CCw qual.
What was wrong with your original batter? Bad recipe?

You should try shooting your RDS pistol in some competitions.  8)

macsak

« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2024, 07:23:28 PM »
range too far...

ren

« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2024, 08:51:45 PM »
range too far...

Strawman argument. Do you have any valid data to back that up?
Deeds Not Words

macsak

« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2024, 08:56:11 PM »
#objective

Strawman argument. Do you have any valid data to back that up?

drck1000

« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2024, 09:25:10 PM »
range too far...
C+ Class shooter, brah

changemyoil66

« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2024, 09:24:27 AM »
What was wrong with your original batter? Bad recipe?

Bays closed before I could run much more rounds thru it.

You know how batteries are, most of the time they don't last for what it states it should due to sitting on the shelf for an unknown time.  I remember replacing the one on my RDS rifle and it went out 6 months later.  Got it from Longs.

ren

« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2024, 11:16:45 AM »
range too far...

barrel too hot...
Deeds Not Words