Heatproof wrap for hot AR-15 barrel recommendation (Read 2784 times)

eyeeatingfish

Heatproof wrap for hot AR-15 barrel recommendation
« on: March 04, 2024, 10:24:57 PM »
I am looking for recommendations for some sort of product I can put on part of my AR-15 barrel. The handguard I have exposes a small portion of the flange behind the front sight post and it got quite hot. I was figuring that some sort of fabric covering for just that one spot. I know they make some fabric wraps but I saw one catch fire once on a hot barrel so looking for one that can withstand the heat.
Thanks in advance.

jd0210

Re: Heatproof wrap for hot AR-15 barrel recommendation
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2024, 10:36:29 PM »
What handguard are u running?  I do have a Lunar Concepts Hot pocket. But my rifle does not have a front sight post.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2024, 11:45:24 PM »
I heard there's something called a barrel shroud ... but don't ask a Liberal for the definition.

:geekdanc:

"How can you diagnose someone with an obsessive-compulsive disorder
and then act as though I had some choice about barging in?"
-- Melvin Udall

eyeeatingfish

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2024, 12:01:00 AM »
What handguard are u running?  I do have a Lunar Concepts Hot pocket. But my rifle does not have a front sight post.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This one. It is a two piece that allows you to retain the front sight post but get rail out past the  front sight post. Overall pretty happy with it but the flange is a little exposed
https://www.opticsplanet.com/troy-delta-rail-carbine-m-lok.html

That hot pocket thing might work, have to figure out how it attaches with sight post.

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2024, 12:20:38 AM »
Anything that wraps up part of the barrel will keep the heat in.  The reason handguards are full of holes is so the barrel can cool quickly.

The barrel, flange, whatever is still going to get just as hot, but if you put a cloth type material on it, your barrel will retain that heat and could become even hotter if you continue shooting without giving it a chance to cool off.

Hot barrels have a number of evil side effects. First, they distort your sight picture.
If there are enough heat waves rising you won’t be able to get a sight picture at all,
and if you can they’ll cause an optical illusion, showing the target to be higher than
it actually is.

Sustained shooting with a hot barrel also affects barrel life. An example is the 6.5/284,
a cartridge that holds a relatively modest powder charge, and is beloved of High Power
match competitors who shoot three 20-round strings for record. This will heat up a barrel,
and under these conditions, where you would normally expect 2,000 to 2,500 rounds
with no loss of accuracy, you’ll probably get only 1,500.

-- Melvin Udall

Q

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2024, 02:28:07 AM »
Old school way is cloth

drck1000

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2024, 08:46:23 AM »
You going to wrap the barrel?  Or the handguard? 

The rail you posted seems very similar to DD FSP handguard. (https://www.brownells.com/gun-parts/rifle-parts/rifle-receivers-parts/m4a1-fsp-5.56x45mm-stripped-upper-receiver/)

Assume your hand is touching the back of the FSP.  If so, you could try a handstop, but positioned backwards from typically used.

I've used heat shields on my AK, where the rail is very close to the gas block and gets very hot.  I've tried carbon fiber and G10 scales.

changemyoil66

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2024, 09:21:31 AM »
If you end up deciding to buy a new handguard, make sure you do it before 7/8; just in case the current version of SB3196 passes as importing or buying any handguard to replace what you have will be illegal.

macsak

« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2024, 12:19:02 PM »
then he gonna have to arrest himself...

If you end up deciding to buy a new handguard, make sure you do it before 7/8; just in case the current version of SB3196 passes as importing or buying any handguard to replace what you have will be illegal.

changemyoil66

« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2024, 01:53:08 PM »
The bill as currently written as a shroud would be illegal as long as its purpose is to prevent one from burning their hand on the barrel.  So is heat tape a shroud as it would prevent one from burning their hand.

Hope EEF's wife never touches the rifle or a rifle in a rifle case/bag or take anyone out shooting as that would be illegal for anyone other than himself to posses the rifle or any magazine.  There's no exemptions for LE family members or household members.

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2024, 03:00:23 PM »

Isn't law enforcement an exception in HI gun laws?
-- Melvin Udall

macsak

« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2024, 03:24:54 PM »
oh yeah
no focus...

eyeeatingfish

« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2024, 10:32:40 PM »
You going to wrap the barrel?  Or the handguard? 

The rail you posted seems very similar to DD FSP handguard. (https://www.brownells.com/gun-parts/rifle-parts/rifle-receivers-parts/m4a1-fsp-5.56x45mm-stripped-upper-receiver/)

Assume your hand is touching the back of the FSP.  If so, you could try a handstop, but positioned backwards from typically used.

I've used heat shields on my AK, where the rail is very close to the gas block and gets very hot.  I've tried carbon fiber and G10 scales.

I really only need to cover up the exposed area which is the FSP itself and the flange right a small section of the flange behind it. The FSP gets hot but my hand does not touch it as easy as it does that round flange that the original handguard clips into. Just a couple tabs of tape would work.

eyeeatingfish

« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2024, 10:33:46 PM »

A lot of them but not all.

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2024, 12:24:46 AM »
A lot of them but not all.

Can you list the laws that LE is not given an exception under?

I'm talking only about what firearms and accessories LE can own: > 10 rd mags for pistols, sound suppressors, the new assault weapons ban bill, etc.
-- Melvin Udall

aletheuo137

« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2024, 08:27:39 AM »

Sent from my moto g power (2021) using Tapatalk

randay

« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2024, 08:49:02 AM »
wrap your purse around it.

your leather purse. or just a strip or leather.  :shaka:

changemyoil66

« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2024, 09:45:20 AM »
Can you list the laws that LE is not given an exception under?

I'm talking only about what firearms and accessories LE can own: > 10 rd mags for pistols, sound suppressors, the new assault weapons ban bill, etc.

Seen pics of SSD with SBR's when they were at the Kahala Hotel a few years ago.

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2024, 10:13:09 AM »
Seen pics of SSD with SBR's when they were at the Kahala Hotel a few years ago.

If they can slide on all NFA items (all banned in HI), that's a good number of guns and accessories prohibited for the general public but allowed for LE.
-- Melvin Udall

changemyoil66

« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2024, 10:23:51 AM »
If they can slide on all NFA items (all banned in HI), that's a good number of guns and accessories prohibited for the general public but allowed for LE.

HPD also owns at least 1 Barret 50 cal as well.