Trap shoot with tactical shotty (Read 7022 times)

stegosaurus

Trap shoot with tactical shotty
« on: October 04, 2010, 12:25:13 PM »
Took the Remy to KHSC to shoot some trap yesterday. First time taking it to the range since I bought it last Monday. That was the longest week ever! Aside from the 6 shots I took at the food drive, this was my first time shooting trap ever. I told the range master that this was my first time and he was very nice and helpful. On the first round of shooting, I think I had too much on my mind since I was unfamiliar with procedures and etiquette and I missed a lot of shots. I wasn't really counting but I probably hit maybe 8 to 10 clays. The range master walked me through the entire round, however, so by the time the second round came along, I was more comfortable and could concentrate fully on my shooting. My friend counted my hits and said I got 18 out of 25. Not sure if that's a good score but it was a helluva lot better than my first round, haha.

This was done with a Remy 870 Express Tactical 18.5" bbl w/rear ghost ring sight, front big dot sight, fixed stock and breacher brake. The range master suggested that a modified choke might help improve my shooting (so I bought one last night). He also mentioned that if I wanted to get serious about my shooting, that I might consider investing in a gun more suitable for trap shooting. I took a look around and noticed that no one else had a tactical shorty like mine - most people had 24" or longer barrels.

Although that was probably the most fun I've had with my clothes on, I'm pretty sure I want to keep this at a leisurely level and don't intend to compete. I don't intend on buying another shotgun for a while and I'm fine with shooting trap/skeet with the Remy. However, I have a Mesa Tactical recoil-reducing stock/pistol grip combo kit coming in. Is it okay to shoot trap/skeet with a pistol-gripped shotgun? Is there anything fundamentally wrong with it (i.e. will it be harder to shoot with? will my accuracy suffer?) Is it frowned upon (i.e. will people call me a n00b and punch me in the face?)

Regardless, I can't wait to try the kit out at the range this weekend. My shoulder got owned yesterday, haha. But I had a great time and so did my friends. I am pretty much addicted and can't wait until this weekend!
« Last Edit: October 04, 2010, 01:29:15 PM by stegosaurus »
"When you outlaw guns, only the outlaws have guns."

2aHawaii

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sheepdog
  • Referrals: 17
    • View Profile
    • 2aHawaii
Re: Trap shoot with tactical shotty
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2010, 01:05:42 PM »
Nice shooting, Stego. I think most people out there have over/unders but don't let that get you down. Even if you do get called a n00b and punched in the face :P The longer barrels tend to be easier to shoot because of the longer sight radius (i think), but if you can do well with your ghosts, more power to you. What shot were you using?

I went out and shot skeet one day and looked like a total fool. I took my Remington 870 with stock barrel (26"?) with bead sight. I did horrible. Maybe hit 4-5 out of the 25. It was fun though and an experience. After going through one round and retiring, I watched the old pros with their O/U's go out and hit almost all of them. Oh well.
I am not a lawyer.

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." - United States Constitution Amendment 2 & Hawaii State Constitution Article 1 Section 17

Buying from Amazon? Click through here

stegosaurus

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2010, 01:53:58 PM »
Thanks  :) I was using Winchester Super-X game loads (2-3/4", 1 oz., 7-1/2 lead shot). The stuff that was on sale at Sports Authority.

I was going to try the skeet side yesterday but I assumed it would be much harder with the clay flying at an extreme angle. On the trap side, I had a hard time figuring out how much to lead the clays that angled out more. I'm pretty sure skeet would be a disaster for me as well. I think I will just shoot trap for now  ;D

Tom_G

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2010, 02:27:22 PM »
18 out of 25 is pretty respectable.  Given that you did it on your first day our and using a no-choke gun, it's downright impressive! 

There's really nothing inherently wrong with a pistol grip, it's just an unusual sight at trap ranges.  Enjoy your time and have fun!
The difference between theory and reality is that, in theory, there is no difference between theory and reality.

808shooter

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2010, 03:46:03 PM »
wow, so anyone can go or do you have to join a club?  Never thought I could bring a 18" pistol grip to the trap range and shoot.  My Maverick 88 has probably 15 shots through it in the last 2 years.

Tom_G

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2010, 04:25:23 PM »
Anyone can shoot.  It's a little bit cheaper if you join the club. And you can bring any legal shotgun.  It's not that unusual to see someone show up with a tacticool shotgun on occasion. 

If you really want to impress them, show up with a .410!
The difference between theory and reality is that, in theory, there is no difference between theory and reality.

808shooter

« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2010, 07:12:34 PM »
Sweet!  How much is it?  Pay per day like the silhouette or pay per round etc?  Pardon my newbness, but wouldn't you have an advantage with a shorter barrel?  Wouldnt the BBs spread faster and give you a better shot at breaking the clay?

Heavies

« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2010, 07:19:19 PM »
Anyone can shoot.  It's a little bit cheaper if you join the club. And you can bring any legal shotgun.  It's not that unusual to see someone show up with a tacticool shotgun on occasion. 

I've heard the practice is discourged, because of pellets hitting the house.  Just hearsay though, I don't own a shotgun.

Pardon my newbness, but wouldn't you have an advantage with a shorter barrel?  Wouldnt the BBs spread faster and give you a better shot at breaking the clay?

I think you have a point, but with a large spread, one or two pellets hitting the bird is not enough to break it.  Just hearsay as well. ;D

Tom_G

« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2010, 07:53:01 PM »
Sweet!  How much is it?  Pay per day like the silhouette or pay per round etc?  Pardon my newbness, but wouldn't you have an advantage with a shorter barrel?  Wouldnt the BBs spread faster and give you a better shot at breaking the clay?

You pay per round (which is 25 targets, 5 from each station).  Last time I was there it was $6/round, I think?  It's been a while.

However, the closest you ever get to the house in trap is 16 yards.  As you improve, you move farther back, as far as 25 yards.  And the birds fly away from you in a hurry.  So, actually, the faster your pellets spread, the less likely you are to hit anything.  It takes 4-5 pellets to break a clay.  Most trap shooters use full choke or tighter. 

This is very different from skeet.  Most skeet shooters use shorter barrels with less choke because the distances are reduced.  You also have targets moving in different directions: away from you, towards you, and traversing at various angles.  You need to be able to swing quickly, and long barrels aren't good for that.

stegosaurus

« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2010, 09:05:42 PM »
18 out of 25 is pretty respectable.  Given that you did it on your first day our and using a no-choke gun, it's downright impressive!

Wow, really? I guess this Sunday will determine if that was just beginner's luck!  ;D

Most trap shooters use full choke or tighter. 

So modified choke is no bueno? Or is full choke more for advanced shooters?

Btw, 808shooter.. it was $5.50 a round.

808shooter

« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2010, 09:11:44 PM »
cool, thanks for the info.  Def gonna try that one day, but gonna try to get in the rimfire challenge this month first. 

Tom_G

« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2010, 08:21:46 AM »
Modified choke is fine for the closer stages, say out to 18 yards.  Many competitors will practice with full choke then switch to modified for competition.  At longer ranges, though, full choke or tighter really becomes imperative. 

Me, I like shooting with full choke for 2 reasons.  First, it forces me to be "on" in order to break a bird.  Second, if you catch the target in the center of your pattern, it evaporates.  POOF!  Just a cloud of dust.  And I LOVE that!!!

808shooter

« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2010, 02:35:53 PM »
I guess i've heard "choke" term used for shotguns before and I kinda understand somewhat what they're about.  Does your barrel need threads to use a choke?  I don't think my 18" mossberg has threads....  or even rifiling for that matter.

Tom_G

« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2010, 04:16:51 PM »
I guess i've heard "choke" term used for shotguns before and I kinda understand somewhat what they're about.  Does your barrel need threads to use a choke?  I don't think my 18" mossberg has threads....  or even rifiling for that matter.

Some barrels have interchangeable chokes.  If so, the inside of the muzzle is threaded.

Some barrels have fixed chokes.  They are what they are, and no changing.

Honestly, I prefer fixed chokes.  You never have to worry about a choke coming loose, about losing your wrench, or about taking them out and cleaning under them.  Of course, the flip side is that if you want to change chokes, you have to change barrels.  Two of my shotguns have interchangeable chokes: my Beretta O/U came with turkey chokes (mega-tight) and my Remington 870 came with modified.  I bought a set of skeet chokes for the Beretta, but have never used them.  I inherited a full RemChoke, and swapped that into my 870, where it stays.

The rest of myr scatterguns are fixed chokes, usually full.  Hey, I like trap, it's what I use!

I do have a slug barrel for the Remmy, which is a cylinder choke (aka no choke).  It would be acceptable for skeet, and nearly useless for trap.

stegosaurus

« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2010, 09:33:58 PM »
Thanks for the info, Tom. And yes, there is something very satisfying about shattering a clay. I haven't had one poof-be-gone (probably due to the lack of a choke) but if the clay broke in two pieces, I felt a little.. inadequate  :shake:

Tom_G

« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2010, 09:18:47 AM »
Thanks for the info, Tom. And yes, there is something very satisfying about shattering a clay. I haven't had one poof-be-gone (probably due to the lack of a choke) but if the clay broke in two pieces, I felt a little.. inadequate  :shake:

Here's an alternate perspective, then.  Clay targets evolved as a way to practice for bird hunting, and the different sports represent different types of birds.  If I evaporate a clay, that means I don't have anything to take home for dinner.  If you break it into 2 pieces, you have a meal and only a few pellets to worry about biting into! 

So, really, the person who can consistently graze a clay just enough to break it has a more practical skill.

stegosaurus

« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2010, 05:14:09 PM »
Ah, what a great way to look at it. Thanks for making me feel better  :D