New Shotgun (Read 8609 times)

bushmasta55

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • "Drop your weapons!" "Come and take them!"
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
New Shotgun
« on: January 03, 2010, 10:22:43 AM »
Thinking of getting a shotgun.   Never did own one.  Read about the Remington 870.  What do you guys think about it?  Or get more better shotguns.  Mahalos for the input guys.

Redtail

Re: New Shotgun
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2010, 11:16:32 AM »
Never own it but heard a lot of good things about it.   Benelli is good too.  Stay away from Mossberg, from my own personal experience they're not that reliable.
‘‘I ask, sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people, except for a few public officials.’’
‘‘To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them.’’
-George Mason

www.campaignforliberty.com   www.lewrockwell.com

2aHawaii

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sheepdog
  • Referrals: 17
    • View Profile
    • 2aHawaii
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2010, 12:04:31 PM »
The 870 is one of, if not the most, produced shotgun ever. It has a wide variety of aftermarket support and is easy to clean, take apart, and swap barrels. If you are looking for something that "just works" and don't need a shell extension, the 870 express is an awesome deal and goes on sale quite often at Sports Authority. If you want something with a little more, the 870p is about twice the price but comes with better parts and the shell extension.

Benellis are good too, but IMHO aren't worth the extra money. I've heard good things about the Mossberg 590 and 590a1. I think Mossberg, in general, is really a mixed bag based on the model.
I am not a lawyer.

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." - United States Constitution Amendment 2 & Hawaii State Constitution Article 1 Section 17

Buying from Amazon? Click through here

bushmasta55

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2010, 01:29:26 PM »
thanks for the input guys.  might stop by Sports Authority today or tomm.  u guys know how much the price range is? 

2aHawaii

• Administrator
  • Sheepdog
    • View Profile
    • 2aHawaii
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2010, 03:04:56 PM »
IIRC, the 870 was about $269 last time it was on sale there.
I am not a lawyer.

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." - United States Constitution Amendment 2 & Hawaii State Constitution Article 1 Section 17

2aHawaii

• Administrator
  • Sheepdog
    • View Profile
    • 2aHawaii
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2010, 09:50:39 AM »
Here is a nice looking 870 but it may be out of your price range :)
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=151360895
I am not a lawyer.

Moki

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2010, 09:37:41 AM »
The 870 is such a great gun. I don't own one myself but my shooting partner has one and whenever he brings it out I spend more time playing with the 870 then my guns.
I will be purchasing a Benelli SuperNova next month but after that I plan on picking up an 870.

...I think I love shotguns too much.

Tom_G

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2010, 10:22:34 PM »
The 870 is a tank!  It's reliable, accurate, and affordable.  It takes phenomenal amounts of abuse and never flinches.  Mine has been through several boy shout camps, a Chuck Taylor class, dozens of outings to the trap range, several camping trips where it was used to shoot trap in the driving rain, and generally used hard.  It has never once hiccuped, jammed, or failed to fire.  Buy one... you won't ever regret it.
The difference between theory and reality is that, in theory, there is no difference between theory and reality.

Quacker

« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2010, 05:46:50 PM »
The 870 is such a great gun. I don't own one myself but my shooting partner has one and whenever he brings it out I spend more time playing with the 870 then my guns.
I will be purchasing a Benelli SuperNova next month but after that I plan on picking up an 870.

Hey where do you plan on shooting? My wife wants to get the supernova but wanted to fire it first before we got it. Think we could test fire yours later down the road?

Moki

« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2010, 05:01:03 PM »

Hey where do you plan on shooting? My wife wants to get the supernova but wanted to fire it first before we got it. Think we could test fire yours later down the road?

Depends which island you're on, I live on the Big Island.
I just picked up my SuperNova yesterday. I haven't fired it yet. I'm going to take it out on Sunday.

bushmasta55

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2010, 03:56:23 AM »
Just picked up a mossberg mavrick 88.  i have to go to hpd tomm. any reviews guys?

2aHawaii

• Administrator
  • Sheepdog
    • View Profile
    • 2aHawaii
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2010, 07:31:50 AM »
Sounds like a great deal for a shotgun.

Seems to be pretty popular here: http://www.forumshawaii.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=580431
I am not a lawyer.