Cheapy Feeling Surgical Masks from China (Read 2639 times)

Kawika808

Cheapy Feeling Surgical Masks from China
« on: April 13, 2020, 06:24:02 PM »
Does anyone have any experience using the cheapy feeling surgical masks from China that are currently flooding the US market? I bought some off a lady on craigslist because its the only thing I could get my hands on that are supposed to be better than cloth/material masks. My father in law also bought a box of 50 from fisher hawaii for twice the price I paid and they seem identical to the masks I bought.  I would just like to know more about their effectiveness if anybody has info on them.  🤙🤙

macsak

Re: Cheapy Feeling Surgical Masks from China
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2020, 07:01:21 PM »
Does anyone have any experience using the cheapy feeling surgical masks from China that are currently flooding the US market? I bought some off a lady on craigslist because its the only thing I could get my hands on that are supposed to be better than cloth/material masks. My father in law also bought a box of 50 from fisher hawaii for twice the price I paid and they seem identical to the masks I bought.  I would just like to know more about their effectiveness if anybody has info on them.  🤙🤙

is there a number on them?
1, 2, or 3?
ASTM?

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2020, 08:41:44 PM »

Next time. wash your hands and dry them on your money before throwing it away!  You'll get more protection from COVID-19 than the masks provide.

New study questions the effectiveness of masks against SARS-CoV-2

After analyzing the swabs, the researchers found particles of SARS-CoV-2 on the outsides of both types of
mask, suggesting that neither type can contain the virus.

“Neither surgical nor cotton masks effectively filtered SARS–CoV-2 during coughs by infected patients,” the
researchers write in their study paper.

“Prior evidence that surgical masks effectively filtered influenza virus informed recommendations that patients
with confirmed or suspected COVID-19 should wear face masks to prevent transmission,” they explain.

The team goes on to note that, while it remains unclear just how large particles containing SARS-CoV-2 and
carried by the breath are, estimates regarding the size of a similar coronavirus, SARS-CoV, suggest that
“Surgical masks are unlikely to effectively filter” it.

Of note, we found greater contamination on the outer than the inner mask surfaces. Although it is possible
that virus particles may cross from the inner to the outer surface because of the physical pressure of swabbing,
we swabbed the outer surface before the inner surface. The consistent finding of virus on the outer mask
surface is unlikely to have been caused by experimental error or artifact.

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/new-study-questions-the-effectiveness-of-masks-against-sars-cov-2

"How can you diagnose someone with an obsessive-compulsive disorder
and then act as though I had some choice about barging in?"
-- Melvin Udall

Kawika808

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2020, 08:59:10 PM »
That was a long @$$ article for someone like me😂.  To make sure I read correctly, the study measured the effectiveness of someone with the virus wearing a mask and coughing?  Then it provides stats on the the ability (or inability) of the masks to effectively filter the virus to prevent it from spreading?

What about those without the virus that are wearing the masks to prevent themselves from contracting the virus?  Is it effective in that sense?  Sorry if I missed something🤙🤙

dogman

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2020, 09:05:17 PM »
Does anyone have any experience using the cheapy feeling surgical masks from China that are currently flooding the US market?
KN 95?

Kawika808

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2020, 09:08:47 PM »
Not kn95 or n95 , just the simple blue and white masks.

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2020, 09:14:36 PM »
That was a long @$$ article for someone like me😂.  To make sure I read correctly, the study measured the effectiveness of someone with the virus wearing a mask and coughing?  Then it provides stats on the the ability (or inability) of the masks to effectively filter the virus to prevent it from spreading?

What about those without the virus that are wearing the masks to prevent themselves from contracting the virus?  Is it effective in that sense?  Sorry if I missed something🤙🤙

There are a ton of articles out there on the lack of protection from contracting the virus for surgical mask wearers.

When a doctor or nurse goes into an operating room or ER, they wear masks to prevent infecting the patient, not to prevent contracting anything themselves.  If they were afraid of contracting something, they would be wearing full protective suits and helmets with no outside air able to get to them.

Unless the mask is rated N95 or better AND properly fits AND is being properly worn and taken off to avoid contamination, anything less is not reducing the risk enough to use them in lieu of other, at least as effective measures like social distancing and hand washing.

I'm not saying the masks have zero benefit for the wearers, but the SARS-CoV-2 virus is unlikely to be stopped effectively if you come into contact with an infected person.

If the presence of masked people makes someone more likely to get closer than 6 feet, or to ignore washing hands and clothing or casually touching their faces, because the masks are supposed to stop the virus, they can do more harm than good.

-- Melvin Udall

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2020, 09:19:14 PM »
Several countries issued a recall of hundreds of thousands of supposedly N95 masks manufactured in China after reports they were not working.  Germany, Canada, and the Netherlands were among those issuing recalls.

China's response?  "Read the directions!"   :wtf:

I wouldn't trust ANY kind of mask that came from China at the moment.  The US refused to accept those masks prior to the recalls.
-- Melvin Udall

Kawika808

« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2020, 09:27:31 PM »
Several countries issued a recall of hundreds of thousands of supposedly N95 masks manufactured in China after reports they were not working.  Germany, Canada, and the Netherlands were among those issuing recalls.

I wouldn't trust ANY kind of mask that came from China at the moment.  The US refused to accept those masks prior to the recalls.

UHOH😰

RSN172

« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2020, 10:16:12 PM »
These are the masks I use.  The seller said it would protect me from any virus.

changemyoil66

« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2020, 12:36:25 PM »

Were they in engrish>?

macsak

« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2020, 12:40:24 PM »
Not kn95 or n95 , just the simple blue and white masks.

I saw the masks they are selling at longs, they actually looked like there was some sort of coating on the outside, ie. not just a paper mask...

changemyoil66

« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2020, 12:43:16 PM »
I saw the masks they are selling at longs, they actually looked like there was some sort of coating on the outside, ie. not just a paper mask...

Did you open a box and check?  Then put it back on the shelf?  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: