Good brand for a headlamp? (Read 12887 times)

Antithesis

Good brand for a headlamp?
« on: January 02, 2011, 10:29:11 AM »
Hey guys I'm in the market for a hands-free headlamp.  I'm looking for something I can use for night fishing, camping, hunting, in the event of a power outage etc etc.  I've seen the $20 stuff at Walmart and Longs, but I'm curious what other options are out there.  My friend had a headlamp that had a bunch of features including red lights  (to cause minimal night vision loss) a strobe light and a couple other bells and whistles, but I couldn't remember the brand name.   Thanks. 
"Si vis pacem, para bellum"
If you wish for peace, prepare for war

gotblika

Re: Good brand for a headlamp?
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2011, 11:20:30 AM »
If I were looking to buy a headlamp right now this is what I would buy.
https://www.fenix-store.com/product_info.php?products_id=1774

ross1459

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2011, 11:57:44 PM »
The surefire is nice, but pricy. The lowest brightness is usable and comfortable for close work after eyes have adjusted. The highest brightness could do well for miners and divers and does not get hot on your head. Also, the controls are natural and easily accessible. The fenix is also a very nice unit for a lot less. Different, but not very much better or worse.

Bushido

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2011, 07:24:48 PM »
Aside from shooting as a hobby,I do alot of shore fishing as well. I can highly recommend the Princeton Tec brand of lights. Their service and "lifetime warranty" is top notch. I had a headlamp in which I left the batteries in and they leaked. Needless to say,the headlamp was ruined. By chance I sent it in,they gave me a free replacement at no cost to me,not even the shipping.

If you are looking for serious brightness,you can't beat Lupine headlamps. Expect to pay a pretty penny though.

Ichigeki Hissatsu

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2011, 12:02:58 PM »
if i were getting a dedicated headlamp, i'd get the surefire.  But imo, the best bang for your buck has got to be this https://www.fenix-store.com/product_reviews_info.php?products_id=659&reviews_id=910

It's just the headband, but then you can use your flashlight of choice in it.  Youtube reviewer Nutnfancy uses a fenix ld10 and nitecore d10 in it.  It can use 4sevens quark123 lights as well.  THen you can have a headlamp when u want, or can take it off and use it as a handheld if needed.

rhys

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2011, 07:26:32 AM »
It depends on what you want.  We have a number of them ranging from the cheap husky (home depot) and energizer (Walmart) to a Princton Tec Apex LED.  I picked up the Apex and have not been unsatisfied.  It does not matter what the weather is like, it will be just fine and give you more light than you will ever need for longer than you will need.  While it is not the lightest of the bunch we have, for what you are looking at, you won't be sorry. 

peregrine

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2011, 06:18:04 PM »
I have been using the Energizer brand headlamps. Sufficient for my needs. I use it at wildland fires on the job, traversing various terrain in the dark is a expeirence. I use the Trailfinder with 7LED. It uses 3AAA batteries. Quite reasonable and would be a great tool on the night stand for when the power goes out. My lamp is attached to a hardhat, but one could easilly cinch it down on the scalp. I am on my second one, picked both up at Walmart. the first lamp is non operational due to battery acid leaking on it. I had it for 2-3years. It was fine last I checked, but recently in a pre check it was non op so I looked to change the batteries, but they were all corroded. Cahnging the batteries didn't fix the problem, so I just bought another for $20-25 at Walmart. I think when choosing equipment that requires batteries, a key point is type of batteries. Surefire style batteries imo are less desirable as they are harder to locate.

Antithesis

« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2011, 09:47:51 AM »
^ I ended up picking up one these from Wallmart for about $18.  Dunno which model mine is specifically, but it has three different light settings, and runs off of two AAA batteries.  A great buy for the price. 
"Si vis pacem, para bellum"
If you wish for peace, prepare for war

Kingkeoni

« Last Edit: August 14, 2011, 06:02:15 PM by Kingkeoni »
Your number one Option for Personal Security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation.

Someday someone may kill you with your own gun, but they should have to beat you to death with it because it is empty.

Jaydawg

« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2011, 03:43:50 PM »
I have a princeton tec byte headlamp.  So far so good.  I'm thinking of getting another one.

http://princetontec.com/index.php?q=byte

Sports Authority has them.

labas

« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2013, 01:34:12 AM »

jaynick

« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2013, 01:44:40 AM »
http://www.zebralight.com/Headlamp_c_7.html
280 lumens off of a single AA. .9 hour runtime  :thumbsup:

oldfart

« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2013, 07:29:13 AM »
Hey guys I'm in the market for a hands-free headlamp.  I'm looking for something I can use for night fishing, camping, hunting, in the event of a power outage etc etc.  I've seen the $20 stuff at Walmart and Longs, but I'm curious what other options are out there.  My friend had a headlamp that had a bunch of features including red lights  (to cause minimal night vision loss) a strobe light and a couple other bells and whistles, but I couldn't remember the brand name.   Thanks.
====================
Here is a thread from a few months ago:

http://2ahawaii.com/index.php?topic=5037.0

I do not know if costco still has these. I love mine. Try read the thread.
What, Me Worry?

drck1000

« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2013, 08:05:03 AM »
I recently bought a Streamlight ARGO HP.  It only has two settings, low and high, but it's really useful.  I haven't used and abused it, but it's performed well so far. 

Darmok and Jalad @Tanagra

« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2013, 08:46:25 AM »
This thread was dead in August 2011!  Way to wake the dead!!   :crazy:    :crazy:    :crazy:   

"... the right to be let alone -- the most comprehensive of rights and the right most valued by civilized men."
--Justice Louis D. Brandeis

Kingkeoni

« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2013, 08:52:30 AM »
This thread was dead in Jan 2011!  Way to wake the dead!!   :crazy:    :crazy:    :crazy:   

These threads are NEVER dead.

Different people go through the same problems and thought processes at different times.

That's the beauty of a forum, you can start a new thread where people can refer you to the old thread or you can visit and revive old threads or you can start a new thread with fresh points of view.
Your number one Option for Personal Security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation.

Someday someone may kill you with your own gun, but they should have to beat you to death with it because it is empty.

MuffinMan

« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2013, 01:29:18 PM »
I'm on my second PrincetonTec Apex. Great Light. The first one got damaged by leaking batteries. I sent it back to Princeton and they sent me a brand new one; no questions asked. Great warranty.

Don't use Costco batteries in stuff you like. They tend to leak if left in your electronics that are not used. They seem to leak more then the Duracell or other brands. Not worth the cost savings( imo fwiw)
« Last Edit: August 20, 2013, 06:58:50 PM by MuffinMan »

« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2013, 01:33:24 PM »
These threads are NEVER dead.

Different people go through the same problems and thought processes at different times.

That's the beauty of a forum, you can start a new thread where people can refer you to the old thread or you can visit and revive old threads or you can start a new thread with fresh points of view.

Not judging.  I understand how this all works.  Simply trying to make a point of humor!   :geekdanc:    :geekdanc:    :geekdanc:

Zombies are tough to work into a thread.  Gotta get 'em when you can!!   :rofl:    :rofl:    :rofl:    :rofl:
"... the right to be let alone -- the most comprehensive of rights and the right most valued by civilized men."

passivekinetic

« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2013, 02:03:04 PM »
Can you please at least put in a sexy zombie next time?

Mahalo!
"The sheep fear sheepdogs, because they fail to see the wolves."
- Anonymous

« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2013, 02:15:01 PM »
Can you please at least put in a sexy zombie next time?

Mahalo!

Hey, to a girl zombie, that one IS sexy!

:-*    :-*    :-*    :-*