Why Training At Gun Ranges Doesn't Prepare You For Shooting In Tough Terrain (Read 882 times)

macsak

oldfart

Ooohhh
We could do that at kokohead.
Climb up the trail and shoot down into the crater.
 :rofl:
But seriously, that video is like what folks do when they go hunting.
Walk around in nature and shoot stuff.
Soldiers do that too.
What, Me Worry?

QUIETShooter

Is there training like that available on Oahu?

Without joining the military. ;D
Sometimes you gotta know when to save your bullets.

ren

Military pays you to do that. Guns and ammo provided.
Deeds Not Words

zippz

Got a place in Waianae like that.  It's called hunting.   :D

Front Sight in Nevada would have students go through the desert washes shooting at steel targets.  Was pretty fun, especially for those only been to regular ranges before.  But it was only one 5 minute run for their 4 day course.

I'm sure there's places on the mainland to do that kinda stuff, but I don't know of any.  Would be a very niche and expensive course.
Join the Hawaii Firearms Coalition at www.hifico.org.  Hawaii's new non-profit gun rights organization focused on lobbying and grassroots activism.

Hawaii Shooting Calendar - https://calendar.google.com/calendar/embed?src=practicalmarksman.com_btllod1boifgpp8dcjnbnruhso%40group.calendar.google.com&ctz=Pacific/Honolulu

ren

live fire cosplay

and I think this is Zippz
« Last Edit: February 04, 2024, 01:36:40 PM by ren »
Deeds Not Words

changemyoil66

As I'm an indoor dog, legs wobbly on uneven terrain.

drck1000

TLDWTHT

There's a few 360 degree ranges where they host precision rifle.  I think one is in Texas and another in Colorado.  Huge, massive properties and varying terrain facilitating safe shooting like that.  Was amazing on how that type of setup allows someone to see many aspects of shooting "in nature", including how the wind affects shots while also not having to wait for the wind to change. 

Aside, lots of ranges I've been on have gravel like in CN's video.  I think great for drainage, maintenance, etc, but hell on footing.  You see how he slows way down before arriving at the next shooting station.  I've seen many folks eat it.  I've slipped and ripped a new goretex rain pants . . .  :grrr:

macsak

slipping wasn't why you ripped your pants...

TLDWTHT

There's a few 360 degree ranges where they host precision rifle.  I think one is in Texas and another in Colorado.  Huge, massive properties and varying terrain facilitating safe shooting like that.  Was amazing on how that type of setup allows someone to see many aspects of shooting "in nature", including how the wind affects shots while also not having to wait for the wind to change. 

Aside, lots of ranges I've been on have gravel like in CN's video.  I think great for drainage, maintenance, etc, but hell on footing.  You see how he slows way down before arriving at the next shooting station.  I've seen many folks eat it.  I've slipped and ripped a new goretex rain pants . . .  :grrr:

drck1000

slipping wasn't why you ripped your pants...
Were you there? Nope, b/c you boring.

macsak

TFTI

Teichi

https://imgur.com/T3kZpXY

This was from last weeks Marine Corps Marksmanship Competition at KBay last week. Full kit minus helmet. Training in rough terrain is always a challenge. Practicing controlled falls are also recommended.

changemyoil66

Range too far.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

eyeeatingfish

You could try paintball or airsoft. Not a perfect substitute but you do get your heart rate up and move/shoot on uneven ground.