What are the rules, what is enforcement like for reduced-capacity pistol mags? (Read 648 times)

Begle1

I'll admit I've gone out of my way to avoid pistols with over 10 round capacities.

What is enforcement like for those with reduced-size magazines? Has anybody ever argued in court over them?

Are there officially "acceptable" ways to DIY modify them?

changemyoil66

Basically, the only way this is enforceable is if you get caught from another charge or an accident happens and an officer has to handle your firearm.  Example, you get into a car accident while CCWing and EMS takes you to the hospital.  They will log that you were armed and when the police show up to handle the firearm and store it, they will eject the mag and do a round count.  So if they count more than 10rds, then you're in trouble. 

There is almost no way to tell if a magazine for a pistol is blocked if it's inserted into said pistol.  Same goes with rifles like an AR mag.  Unless you're using a mag with a window or a clear mag, then there is no way to tell how many rounds it holds, unless they do a physical count.  Which means a crime has been committed, about to be committed, or you are committing a crime and HPD can take your rifle from you.  If you willingly hand over your rifle to an officer, then you're a moron.

Now if your mag isn't inserted into your handgun, then you can tell most of the time if it's blocked or not.  When I was in Vegas checking my gun at the hotel armory, I ejected the mag, but didn't have to remove all bullets.Security could tell it was a 10rd mag and made fun of me.

I'm curious as to how you've gone out of your way to avoid pistol mags over 10rds?  No store will sell them to you unless you're LE.  And all guns come with 10rd mags when you buy it from a store.  Mags on the stands also are blocked to 10rds in stores.

Begle1

I just don't own any pistols that have OEM capacities over 10 rounds.

If a cop is at the range and counts you shooting 12 rounds out of your pistol are you screwed? Or if you get ratted out? Has that ever happened?

macsak

you're only supposed to load and shoot 5 rounds at a time at khsc...

If a cop is at the range and counts you shooting 12 rounds out of your pistol are you screwed? Or if you get ratted out? Has that ever happened?

xer 21

you're only supposed to load and shoot 5 rounds at a time at khsc...
RIP silhouette range :(

Sent from my SM-G981U1 using Tapatalk

oldfart

================
BEGLE1
Have you EVER been to the range here?

Why don't you go to the "introduce yourself" section and tell us about yourself.
What, Me Worry?

Begle1

I live on Maui. The stuff you guys suffer through on Oahu sounds like a different state entirely sometimes.

zippz

The KHSC bullseye and rifle range are the only places that restrict to 5.  All the other ranges in Hawaii don't have that limit. Sometimes off duty law enforcement will shoot at the range with their magazines too.

I haven't heard of legal gun owners getting busted for that alone.  Only problems I know of is people going to the police departments to register pistols with the mags and people getting scolded about them.  Not sure if they get confiscated.

You'd have to get arrested for something else in order for police to take possession of the magazine and test it.
Join the Hawaii Firearms Coalition at www.hifico.org.  Hawaii's new non-profit gun rights organization focused on lobbying and grassroots activism.

Hawaii Shooting Calendar - https://calendar.google.com/calendar/embed?src=practicalmarksman.com_btllod1boifgpp8dcjnbnruhso%40group.calendar.google.com&ctz=Pacific/Honolulu

randay

its not illegal to shoot 12 rounds out of a pistol, so the question is if that is enough to allowing searching/inspection of your magazine. but i know what your thinking, did I shoot 12 or 10? in all the excitement, ive forgotten...

changemyoil66

its not illegal to shoot 12 rounds out of a pistol, so the question is if that is enough to allowing searching/inspection of your magazine. but i know what your thinking, did I shoot 12 or 10? in all the excitement, ive forgotten...

Reasonable, articulable, suspicion would dictate that if a cop was counting and counted 12 rounds fired without a reload, they can inspect said magazine.  So yes, it's enough.

It's not illegal to shoot 12 rounds out of  a pistol, but a "reasonable" cop who saw no reload in between can "articulate" their "suspicion" that you have a greater than 10rd magazine inserted into said pistol, which is a felony (illegal).

Flapp_Jackson

If you're publicly practicing with a >10 rd mag, and you know it's illegal, you probably want to get caught.

JMHO

"How can you diagnose someone with an obsessive-compulsive disorder
and then act as though I had some choice about barging in?"
-- Melvin Udall

Begle1

If you're publicly practicing with a >10 rd mag, and you know it's illegal, you probably want to get caught.

JMHO

I'd agree, but am most curious about what case studies are actually out there and would love to know who has actually gotten in trouble for it.
The hypotheticals are always interesting too.

changemyoil66

I'd agree, but am most curious about what case studies are actually out there and would love to know who has actually gotten in trouble for it.

Uyesugi (Xerox shooting) would be 1 to look up. They law was passed with no grandfather clause for pistol mags.  He used standard cap pistol mags.  He is still in jail.

On a side note, there are 2 mag lawsuits filed about a year ago. 1 is via HIFICO Abbott vs. Lopez (HI AG) and the other is by NAGR that also includes SBR's (assault pistols).

Rocky

Nobody here does anything illegal.
“I ask you to judge me by the enemies I have made.”
                                                           Franklin D. Roosevelt