Broken Window = Active Shooter? Neighborhood Board (Read 727 times)

zippz

Broken Window = Active Shooter? Neighborhood Board
« on: April 25, 2024, 01:00:30 AM »
A man broke a window during the Kalihi-Palama Neighborhood Board meeting.  Now the entire 400 member Neighborhood Board wants active shooter training because of it.  Training and preparedness is good.  But they're panicking.  Like they never encountered a crazy person before.  It feels like they have lived sheltered lives, even those representing high crime districts.

Perhaps it could be a good thing if they realize that people are responsible for their own safety.

Neighborhood Boards To Get Active Shooter Training After Alarming Incident At Meeting
https://www.civilbeat.org/2024/04/neighborhood-boards-to-get-active-shooter-training-after-alarming-incident-at-meeting/
Join the Hawaii Firearms Coalition at www.hifico.org.  Hawaii's new non-profit gun rights organization focused on lobbying and grassroots activism.

Hawaii Shooting Calendar - https://calendar.google.com/calendar/embed?src=practicalmarksman.com_btllod1boifgpp8dcjnbnruhso%40group.calendar.google.com&ctz=Pacific/Honolulu

oldfart

Re: Broken Window = Active Shooter? Neighborhood Board
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2024, 03:45:17 AM »
Isn't that Rhoads territory?
What, Me Worry?

oldfart

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2024, 05:11:25 AM »
What a coincidence.
 That board meeting occurred on March 20th.
Here is a photo I happened to take on March 20 in Waipahu. This is the front door of Honolulu Kitchen. (My favorite manapua shop) Apparently some crackheads were fighting in the parking lot and one of them threw a rock and broke the glass door. The owner of the store is a strong supporter of the 2A and just a good guy. This is the shop that posted the ccw-ok sign. If you're in the area, stop by and grab a plate lunch or manapua and pork hash. Your purchase will help pay for his broken glass.  :rofl:
What, Me Worry?

QUIETShooter

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2024, 07:23:32 AM »
How da hell does a broken window equate to active shooter training?

The anti-2a movement is openly showing their shameless agenda.

How about getting training to fix da g*dd*m window?

And I wish Honolulu Kitchen nothing but the best.  Good people and good food.  Love that green sign on the window.  Lawful.  It already is, in my book, but the asshats here in the banana republik think otherwise.

Same people that equate a broken window into active shooter training.

Sheer insanity and getting worse each legislative session.
Sometimes you gotta know when to save your bullets.

drck1000

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2024, 08:05:39 AM »
How da hell does a broken window equate to active shooter training?

The anti-2a movement is openly showing their shameless agenda.

How about getting training to fix da g*dd*m window?

And I wish Honolulu Kitchen nothing but the best.  Good people and good food.  Love that green sign on the window.  Lawful.  It already is, in my book, but the asshats here in the banana republik think otherwise.

Same people that equate a broken window into active shooter training.

Sheer insanity and getting worse each legislative session.
feelings > facts

Seems like folks love being victims. . .

ren

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2024, 09:00:00 AM »
Grandpa taught me that if a dog bites you, bite back.
Deeds Not Words

changemyoil66

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2024, 09:02:58 AM »
Active shooter training is easy. STep 1, run or hide. Step 2, if no can run, fight. Because HI loves to enable active shooters by disarming their victims.

Armed victims active shooter training: Step 1: Shoot back. Problem solved.

I can't wait if I need to take the training. I'm gonna go full shoot back, CCW holder, good guy with a gun, Retail Merchants wants you to die, etc...

oldfart

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2024, 09:06:18 AM »
only in Waipahu, Kalihi, or Korea.
What, Me Worry?

changemyoil66

« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2024, 09:12:53 AM »

Since getting attacked by a dog is a possible thing, I;ve always thought what I would do. IDK if I"d be able to draw and open my knife in time (assuming no CCW).  But even with CCW, and it takes on a slow day 1.2 seconds to draw and fire 1 shot, what it that's not enough time.  I wonder if rushing the dog to close the distance and doing a foodball style spin move would work against the dogs initial leap to bite.  I mean, human nature would have one stick out your arm or hand, but the dog will bite that.  So, remove that from the equation and there's less surface area for the dog to bite. Just gotta watch out for your neck, bit it's a much smaller target, so see spin move.

Then vid's of people I've seen attacked by dogs, after the initial leap/bite, they give up.  So is going ape shit from the get go the way? LET"S GET IT ON (In Joe's voice from Family Guy).

QUIETShooter

« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2024, 09:35:04 AM »

only in Waipahu, Kalihi, or Korea.

I wonder if that is how the whole culture of dog cuisine started.  Bow wow stew.  Yap yap adobo.  Kalbi arf arf.

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2024, 09:43:12 AM »

Yeah, but grandpa was able to take his teeth out to bite the dog with them!

:geekdanc: :rofl:
"How can you diagnose someone with an obsessive-compulsive disorder
and then act as though I had some choice about barging in?"
-- Melvin Udall

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2024, 09:58:18 AM »
Since getting attacked by a dog is a possible thing, I;ve always thought what I would do. IDK if I"d be able to draw and open my knife in time (assuming no CCW).  But even with CCW, and it takes on a slow day 1.2 seconds to draw and fire 1 shot, what it that's not enough time.  I wonder if rushing the dog to close the distance and doing a foodball style spin move would work against the dogs initial leap to bite.  I mean, human nature would have one stick out your arm or hand, but the dog will bite that.  So, remove that from the equation and there's less surface area for the dog to bite. Just gotta watch out for your neck, bit it's a much smaller target, so see spin move.

Then vid's of people I've seen attacked by dogs, after the initial leap/bite, they give up.  So is going ape shit from the get go the way? LET"S GET IT ON (In Joe's voice from Family Guy).

I used to ride my bicycle everywhere growing up, and dogs chasing me and being aggressive was very common. 

Usually they chase you if you run or try to ride off, so the first thing is stop and stand your ground.  They usually pause since they weren't expecting that.  their intent usually is to chase you away, not get into a fight.

These few who do want to continue usually get scared away if you throw a couple of rocks in their direction.  Commanding them with words they might know like "No!" and "Heel!" can work, because they are thinking you might be someone they need to obey.  Your words are familiar, which makes you less of a stranger.

The only dogs i'd be instantly in self-defense mode against would be a pit bull, especially if more than one.  They aren't like most breeds.  Once they decide to attack, they go all out to get you, and once latched on will refuse to let go. 

If you're on a bike, get off and keep it between you and the dog/s.  If you have anything you can use as cover, use it.  Don't show fear no matter how nervous you are.  I've had dogs run at me, and by standing still and talking to them calmly, they actually came up to me to be petted.  A calming voice can set them at ease and stop the aggression.

You are envisioning the worst case scenario where you need to stop a charging man eater.  In my experience, that's a rare case.  A little understanding of animal behavior and how to communicate to them to show you are not afraid while also not a threat works most times.

If you stand still, don't act afraid, and then slowly walk away, that'll break their focus on you more often than not.
-- Melvin Udall

oldfart

« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2024, 10:49:35 AM »
I wonder if that is how the whole culture of dog cuisine started.  Bow wow stew.  Yap yap adobo.  Kalbi arf arf.
Chinese...
Char siu bow wow
What, Me Worry?

zippz

« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2024, 10:58:02 AM »
Got more info on it.  Range is not open on weekdays.  They still need to do more cleaning and refurbishment.  They're getting closer to weekday hours.
Join the Hawaii Firearms Coalition at www.hifico.org.  Hawaii's new non-profit gun rights organization focused on lobbying and grassroots activism.

Hawaii Shooting Calendar - https://calendar.google.com/calendar/embed?src=practicalmarksman.com_btllod1boifgpp8dcjnbnruhso%40group.calendar.google.com&ctz=Pacific/Honolulu

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2024, 02:40:20 PM »
Got more info on it.  Range is not open on weekdays.  They still need to do more cleaning and refurbishment.  They're getting closer to weekday hours.

No Focus.

Broken Window = Active Shooter? Neighborhood Board
-- Melvin Udall

hvybarrels

« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2024, 10:23:28 PM »

Misplaced or not I actually care about this way more than anything else I've read today.
“Wars happen when the government tells you who the enemy is. Revolutions happen when you figure it out for yourselves.”

QUIETShooter

« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2024, 07:57:28 AM »
Got more info on it.  Range is not open on weekdays.  They still need to do more cleaning and refurbishment. They're getting closer to weekday hours.

Am I the only one who feels the City's explanation is strange?

macsak

« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2024, 08:03:05 AM »
thought the same thing
we can use it on weekends, but it needs more cleaning and refurb to use during the week...

Am I the only one who feels the City's explanation is strange?

drck1000

« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2024, 08:53:01 AM »
thought the same thing
we can use it on weekends, but it needs more cleaning and refurb to use during the week...
I was told (from very reliable source) that it's not a staffing issue. . .

oldfart

« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2024, 09:14:47 AM »
 :stopjack:
Re.
Broken windows etc.

In my area (Waipahu) there have been many broken windows and doors at the shopping areas. Usually from smash and grab thefts.

There is an uptick in homeless folks in my area.
During the last few weeks, I find all kinds of stuff when I walk the dawg...like a Honda generator. How about humanitarian food ration bags. (Similar to MRE)

Yesterday there was a guy sleeping at community recreation center. I see numerous strangers using the restroom at the rec center that are not from the basketball or tennis courts.

I also found 5 abandoned shopping wagons from Wal-Mart yesterday. They were about a half mile away from the store.

This is just my personal observations.
What, Me Worry?