Is swapping the caliber of an AR rifle or a pistol a violation? (Read 1294 times)

tim808

I was registering a lower and I was reminded to come back when I install the upper.

They mentioned that once I register the complete rifle, I cannot swap the upper for one in a different caliber.  I would get in trouble if hpd found my ar with a different caliber upper

They also mentioned the same for pistols.   If hpd found my G23 (40sw) had a 9mm conversion barrel, I would be in trouble

Because I had modified the firearm to a different caliber than what is in hpd records

I thought only the ar lower and the pistol frame were the “firearm”

This is the first time anyone at the counter has mentioned this.  Are they right that using a different caliber is a violation? 

I do understand that police do try to build up more charges when they try to arrest/convict someone
« Last Edit: April 18, 2024, 05:40:29 PM by tim808 »

Flapp_Jackson

Re: Is swapping the caliber of an AR rifle or a pistol a violation?
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2024, 05:58:05 PM »
That's ridiculous.

I registered a rifle that came with 3 barrels:  .22LR, .22WMR and .17HMR.

When I bought the rifle from a 2A member, it was registered as a .22LR. 

When I registered, it had the .17HMR barrel installed.

The RECEIVER or FRAME is the firearm by ATF definition.  If you switch parts, the serial number still follows the firearm.

As for your receiver, most AR lowers I bought had MULTI as the caliber stamped on it.  There's a reason for that.   :geekdanc:

If they registered the lower as "MULTI" when you bought it, the registration is correct no matter what barrel you install. 

So, if you install a .223 Wylde barrel, doesn't it also use 5.56 caliber ammo?  Also, a 5.56 barrel shoots .223 ammo.  No barrel change required.   :crazy:

I'd like to throw a P320 at them and see their heads explode.  That pistol was designed and marketed specifically for locations and individuals who want or need a limited number of registered firearms but with the capability to change calibers, frame sizes, threaded barrel vs. not threaded, etc.

I'd ask them where it states in the law that barrels of different calibers are not allowed to be swapped on a registered firearm.  If they can't point to it, then I'd just ignore them.  Sounds more like a policy than a law.  You can't get a "charge" if there's nothing in the law or ordinances saying it's prohibited.

I'm not a lawyer, so don't take my advice as gospel.   But with the number of caliber-swappable firearms legally available here, and with no mention of them in the statute, they'd be hard pressed to find a law you broke.
"How can you diagnose someone with an obsessive-compulsive disorder
and then act as though I had some choice about barging in?"
-- Melvin Udall

changemyoil66

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2024, 06:18:27 PM »
HPD making up law again.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

zippz

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2024, 07:02:25 PM »
Easy way to find out.  We can all submit an online registration everytime we change calibers on a firearm.  See how long that lasts.
Join the Hawaii Firearms Coalition at www.hifico.org.  Hawaii's new non-profit gun rights organization focused on lobbying and grassroots activism.

Hawaii Shooting Calendar - https://calendar.google.com/calendar/embed?src=practicalmarksman.com_btllod1boifgpp8dcjnbnruhso%40group.calendar.google.com&ctz=Pacific/Honolulu

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2024, 07:08:13 PM »
Easy way to find out.  We can all submit an online registration everytime we change calibers on a firearm.  See how long that lasts.

Or submit it twice a day -- with or without an actual swap.

Just to play it safe, of course.  Don't want to make the change BEFORE the registration is effective!

:geekdanc: :thumbsup:
-- Melvin Udall

changemyoil66

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2024, 07:44:17 PM »
Or submit it twice a day -- with or without an actual swap.

Just to play it safe, of course.  Don't want to make the change BEFORE the registration is effective!

:geekdanc:
Not our problem their behind. Maybe i feel like swapping ever 10 mins.

tim808

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2024, 09:10:53 PM »
Thanks guys!!!

randay

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2024, 06:44:42 AM »
Can you get into trouble? Yes. You can get into trouble for all sorts of things though. Is it illegal? No. Could they try and pretend like you never registered the rifle because it doesnt match? Maybe.

Best thing to do at the firearms window is nod and say ok sir.

mrgaf

« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2024, 12:48:44 PM »
Bout 9 years ago I built an AR in 6.8 SPC. Had the upper done and all ready to go while I waited for the lower from my FFL. When I bought the lower to HPD to register I was asked where the upper was and I just ignored the ass wipe. Was told to wait for the registration paperwork. After signing the registration i was stopped by this sorry ass Sgt on my way out and he told me I better answer a police officer when asked a question. I smirked at him and that further pissed him off. He said I better let HPD about the upper and caliber or else. Shook my head, laughed at him and said ok, ok I’ll let you know on the 30th of February. He said fine and started to walk away when the stopped in his tracks, turned around and glared at me. Gave him the thumbs up, smirked again and walked away…. >:D
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.  Thomas Paine.

No man can get rich in politics unless he is a crook.  It cannot be done. Harry Truman

Only good liberal is one taking a dirt nap.

changemyoil66

« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2024, 02:59:37 PM »
What if you take the upper off. Now the "rifle" shoots no caliber.

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2024, 05:02:16 PM »
What if you take the upper off. Now the "rifle" shoots no caliber.

That's why they put "Multi" on the lower receiver. 

When it's transferred as a receiver only, the caliber is whatever the hell the owner decides to make it.

Where did common sense go?  I miss it sooooooo much!

:(

-- Melvin Udall

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2024, 05:44:29 PM »
Possible calibers for an AR-15 lower:

.223 Remington
5.56 NATO
300 Blackout
7.62x39
.22LR
.350 Legend
.450 Bushmaster
.458 SOCOM
.50 Beowolf
.300 HAM'R
.30 Remington AR
.25-45 Sharps
.22 Nosler
.204 Ruger
.224 Valkyrie
6.5 Grendel
6.8 SPC
6mm ARC

I don't think this list is exhaustive, but it illustrates why "Multi" is the best caliber to register the receiver as.  That also makes the paperwork match the markings on the receiver.

There is no way the Cops can "get you in trouble" for configuring YOUR OWN firearm for ANY caliber it's capable of using as long as that caliber isn't banned -- like they want to do for .50 BMG. 

That's just more HPD made-up BS.  Too bad they aren't focusing on the real problems in this state, like the mythical rise in crime.

IMHO

-- Melvin Udall

changemyoil66

« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2024, 07:13:12 PM »
Possible calibers for an AR-15 lower:

.223 Remington
5.56 NATO
300 Blackout
7.62x39
.22LR
.350 Legend
.450 Bushmaster
.458 SOCOM
.50 Beowolf
.300 HAM'R
.30 Remington AR
.25-45 Sharps
.22 Nosler
.204 Ruger
.224 Valkyrie
6.5 Grendel
6.8 SPC
6mm ARC

I don't think this list is exhaustive, but it illustrates why "Multi" is the best caliber to register the receiver as.  That also makes the paperwork match the markings on the receiver.

There is no way the Cops can "get you in trouble" for configuring YOUR OWN firearm for ANY caliber it's capable of using as long as that caliber isn't banned -- like they want to do for .50 BMG. 

That's just more HPD made-up BS.  Too bad they aren't focusing on the real problems in this state, like the mythical rise in crime.

IMHO
Theres about 77 or so calibers. Hifico wrote that in their testimony when HI tried to pass a law that u need the caliber of gun. So they stated people would name 77 calibers on the reg. I think that was too much work for hpd and they scraped the law.

eyeeatingfish

« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2024, 09:41:14 PM »
I was registering a lower and I was reminded to come back when I install the upper.

They mentioned that once I register the complete rifle, I cannot swap the upper for one in a different caliber.  I would get in trouble if hpd found my ar with a different caliber upper

They also mentioned the same for pistols.   If hpd found my G23 (40sw) had a 9mm conversion barrel, I would be in trouble

Because I had modified the firearm to a different caliber than what is in hpd records

I thought only the ar lower and the pistol frame were the “firearm”

This is the first time anyone at the counter has mentioned this.  Are they right that using a different caliber is a violation? 

I do understand that police do try to build up more charges when they try to arrest/convict someone

No, that is not a thing. I wonder if the officer misunderstood something about the issue, like if you were going to change it from a rifle to a pistol with a pistol length barrel or something like that. You would expect the officers at the firearms section would know more about gun laws than the rest.

There is no law that says changing a caliber alone is illegal. If they say this ask them where the HRS says that.

changemyoil66

« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2024, 08:08:48 AM »

If they say this ask them where the HRS says that.

Then 5 cops will come to the front to harass you.  I mean, it's not like there's a video of that....

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2024, 08:39:16 AM »
Then 5 cops will come to the front to harass you.  I mean, it's not like there's a video of that....

Cops don't like it when you ask them to prove what they say is actually true.

That applies to gun registration laws, red flag laws, hypotheticals, nuances ....
-- Melvin Udall

eyeeatingfish

« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2024, 09:04:04 PM »
Cops don't like it when you ask them to prove what they say is actually true.

That applies to gun registration laws, red flag laws, hypotheticals, nuances ....

So you are a cop?

macsak

« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2024, 09:18:03 PM »
funny that you would ask someone a question that you won't answer yourself...

So you are a cop?

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2024, 09:22:47 PM »
So you are a cop?

Is it your belief that you have to be the person to know what they do and don't like?

Does that mean you're a woman, or as a man you do not know what your wife likes and dislikes?
-- Melvin Udall

eyeeatingfish

« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2024, 09:48:42 PM »
Is it your belief that you have to be the person to know what they do and don't like?

Does that mean you're a woman, or as a man you do not know what your wife likes and dislikes?

You attributed something to cops and then listed things that you do saying it applies to cops so.....