Maple leaf firearms (Read 535 times)

Brystont1

Maple leaf firearms
« on: April 01, 2024, 09:53:32 AM »
Thinking about sending my Glock 21 slide in to get cut for an rmr and I came across maple leaf firearms “duty cut” slide milling service. Anyone have any experience with maple leaf? I thought I saw a post here about them but I couldn’t find them.

drck1000

Re: Maple leaf firearms
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2024, 10:45:53 AM »
I've had 3 pistols milled by Thrash Tactical (via DCT).  Great work! 

There are a number of companies that offer it.  I have a GC for C&H, but heard mixed reviews about them  :(

jase90

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2024, 05:47:38 PM »
Sent my "1st generation" Gen 5 Glock 34 slide off to them to get front slide serrations and a bob cut on the dust covered milled and nitride coated afterwards. Beautiful work. They actually sand blasted in between the serrations and on the bob cut to give it that factory texture on the newly milled areas. I liked that attention to detail.

Had one of my other glock slide milled by CHPWS and they just milled and recoated. The valley of the serrations are glossy compared to the rest of the slide with that has the glock textured finish.

« Last Edit: April 04, 2024, 08:55:18 PM by jase90 »

drck1000

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2024, 07:28:45 AM »
Sent my "1st generation" Gen 5 Glock 34 slide off to them to get front slide serrations and a bob cut on the dust covered milled in and nitride coated afterwards. Beautiful work. They actually sand blasted in between the serrations and on the bob cut to give it that factory texture on the newly milled areas. I liked thay attention to detail.

Had one of my other glock slided milled by CHPWS and they just milled and recoated. In the valley of the serrations are glossy compared to the rest of the slide with that has the glock textured finish.
How did the nitride finish come out?  I've been thinking of going that route on another slide, instead of cerakote. 

Sorry OP for the tangent. . .

Brystont1

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2024, 08:09:45 AM »
How did the nitride finish come out?  I've been thinking of going that route on another slide, instead of cerakote. 

No problem, I’m here for all of it haha!

Brystont1

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2024, 11:27:34 AM »
I called maple leaf today, super professional and helpful over the phone. There optics prices were pretty close to Amazon prices too.

drck1000

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2024, 11:40:32 AM »
I called maple leaf today, super professional and helpful over the phone. There optics prices were pretty close to Amazon prices too.
RMR HD?  Or you going with Holosun with RMR footprint?

This discussion has me looking into milling my CZ 75 SP-01 now. . . haven't shot that gun in a while and an RDS will likely have me shooting it more.

Brystont1

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2024, 11:49:25 AM »
RMR HD?  Or you going with Holosun with RMR footprint?

This discussion has me looking into milling my CZ 75 SP-01 now. . . haven't shot that gun in a while and an RDS will likely have me shooting it more.

Either the rmr or the HD. The non HD rmr is like $510 and they will install optic for free. Gonna have them move the rear sight in front of the optic and purchase some Ameriglo XL tritium sights which they will also install for free.

Not sure if the rmr HD is worth the extra $150 over the type 2 rmr

« Last Edit: April 03, 2024, 01:27:13 PM by Brystont1 »

jase90

« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2024, 08:52:49 PM »

It came out great. Couldnt find any blemishes in the coating. Tbh their nitriding looks almost identical to the factory DLC. Maybe just a touch darker shade. If I didnt know any better I'd think they were the same.

drck1000

« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2024, 08:16:12 AM »
Either the rmr or the HD. The non HD rmr is like $510 and they will install optic for free. Gonna have them move the rear sight in front of the optic and purchase some Ameriglo XL tritium sights which they will also install for free.

Not sure if the rmr HD is worth the extra $150 over the type 2 rmr
Nice!  I am waiting for the RCR to come back in stock.  I have a couple of guns with RMR, as well as a few guns with EPS (reg & carry) and ACRO.  I like the EPS and ACRO, but had my mind set on trying the RCR.

I have shot the HD RMR and it seems "about the same" to me as the RMRs I currently have (all Type 2).  I read and watched reviewed that mentioned the new features are a plus. 

drck1000

« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2024, 08:18:39 AM »
It came out great. Couldnt find any blemishes in the coating. Tbh their nitriding looks almost identical to the factory DLC. Maybe just a touch darker shade. If I didnt know any better I'd think they were the same.
Cool.  I've been checking out Maple and Primary Machine out for a Glock 17 and maybe my CZ 75.   Really want to try the nitride.  My bold gun actions are nitride finish and while totally different context, I like the durability of the finish, especially since my pistols get quite a bit of wear.