Trump's Pending Bumpstock Ban: IT'S HERE!! (Read 10172 times)

punaperson

Trump's Pending Bumpstock Ban: IT'S HERE!!
« on: October 17, 2018, 01:00:36 PM »
Rather than resurrect one of the older bumpstock ban threads, thought I'd start a new one as this lengthy article by David Codrea sums up the situation and deserving reading by people interested in preserving and/or restoring our rights. Remember when people were all excited about National Concealed Carry Reciprocity? What a long long way we've come. Or is this 4th dimensional chess again?

Trump's Pending Bumpstock Ban

http://www.firearmsnews.com/editorial/trumps-pending-bumpstock-ban/325941

These are non-negotiable terms of surrender, dictated by a “pro-gun” president, a “pro-gun” attorney general, and enabled by our “gun rights leaders.” Obey or be destroyed. Or as men standing on a green were reportedly ordered: “Throw down your arms, ye villains, ye Rebels, Disperse!”

If Trump and Sessions can get away with this naked, weasel-worded usurpation, guess what the Democrats will be able to pull, especially if enough feckless Republicans take the fire out of core supporter’s bellies and majorities flip.

« Last Edit: December 18, 2018, 08:08:47 AM by punaperson »

drck1000

Re: Trump's Pending Bumpstock Ban
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2018, 02:43:57 PM »
Exclusive: Trump administration to announce final bump stock ban

Washington (CNN)The Trump administration plans to announce the long-anticipated federal rule officially banning bump stocks in the coming days, according to US officials familiar with the matter.

Bump stocks gained national attention last year after a gunman in Las Vegas rigged his weapons with the devices to fire on concertgoers, killing 58 people. President Donald Trump vowed to outlaw the devices soon after the tragedy, and some lawmakers on Capitol Hill urged him to back a permanent legislative fix.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/11/28/politics/final-bump-stock-ban/index.html

changemyoil66

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2018, 02:50:12 PM »
He lost some points in my book.  Even though they're already illegal in Hawaii and I have never owned one.  He could have just stayed out of it and let the ATF do their thing.

punaperson

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2018, 04:14:55 PM »
He lost some points in my book.  Even though they're already illegal in Hawaii and I have never owned one. He could have just stayed out of it and let the ATF do their thing.
Here, let me fix that for you:

He could have dissolved the ATF and squeezed McConnell and Ryan to repeal the NFA 1934 and the GCA 1968 and pass the National Concealed Carry Reciprocity Act.

bass monkey

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2018, 05:33:12 PM »
dang I can only imagine what a different president would do with this precedent

zippz

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2018, 06:40:27 PM »
Its politics, votes, abd tough choices.  Republicans are looking to lose the Senate and Presidency in 2020 and they need all the votes they can get.  They see bump stocks as sacrificial since not many people own them and most people would support banning them.  GOP will gain more votes by banning them as a PR thing.

Its a tough choice.  Would you risk losing the Presidency, Senate, and House for bump stocks?  Libs could then pass gun control legislation and flip the supreme court again.
Join the Hawaii Firearms Coalition at www.hifico.org.  Hawaii's new non-profit gun rights organization focused on lobbying and grassroots activism.

Hawaii Shooting Calendar - https://calendar.google.com/calendar/embed?src=practicalmarksman.com_btllod1boifgpp8dcjnbnruhso%40group.calendar.google.com&ctz=Pacific/Honolulu

changemyoil66

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2018, 07:36:14 PM »
4D chess. Trump promotes ban, goes to Scotus and is overturned by his nominees.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

6716J

« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2018, 07:36:49 AM »
4D chess. Trump promotes ban, goes to Scotus and is overturned by his nominees.

There is a good chance of that as word on the street is that suits will be brought to challenge the ban before the ink is dry. Trump and the Senate can look right at the public and say we did our part but was found illegal.  ....sorry...our bad...
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy.

changemyoil66

« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2018, 05:50:12 PM »
NJ numbers are in. ZERO turned in since the law took affect.

Looks like nationwide states that banned them, only 3 were turned in.

punaperson

Trump's Pending Bumpstock Ban: IT'S HERE!!
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2018, 08:07:40 AM »
Goddamn I hate these people. Trump's an ass for signing on to this. So is the NRA.

https://www.apnews.com/6c1af80fb290472c89fb930e223505af

Here is the actual "regulation", which takes them 157 pages to explain how the ruling by ATF during the Obama administration that bumpstocks were completely legal was completely wrong and that in fact bumpstocks are machine guns! What a huge pile of stupid shit! 157 pages!!

https://assets.documentcloud.org/documents/5635249/Bump-Stock-Final-Rule.pdf

6716J

« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2018, 08:57:32 AM »
NJ numbers are in. ZERO turned in since the law took affect.

Looks like nationwide states that banned them, only 3 were turned in.

yeah but now it goes from a State crime of possession of a prohibited item to a Federal Pound Me In The A$$ crime for possession of a machine gun
« Last Edit: December 18, 2018, 01:30:43 PM by 6716J »
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy.

drck1000

Re: Trump's Pending Bumpstock Ban: IT'S HERE!!
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2018, 12:08:54 PM »
From what I heard on the radio today, the revisions to the verbiage putting bump stocks in the same category (at least by their definition) as machine guns (full auto) has been signed.  That those possessing bump stocks have 90 days from today to get rid of or destroy them.  Is that correct? 

London808

« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2018, 02:37:12 PM »
Join Hawaii Firearms Coalition for Three Minutes of Freedom as we take a look at gun rights and information from across the state and the nation.

This episode is all about BUMP STOCKS.

"Mr. Roberts is a bit of a fanatic, he has previously sued HPD about gun registration issues." : Major Richard Robinson 2016

punaperson

« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2018, 05:05:08 PM »

Video:

A couple of the comments to the video:

BREAKING NEWS: Donald Trump, the NRA, and the BATFE now declare metal coat hangers to be machine guns. Owners of metal coat hangers are encouraged to destroy their metal coat hangers or abandon them to their local ATF office within 90 days.

Reply: Will there be a coat hanger buy-back ?

No one needs a full semi auto coat hanger.

My son is asking me for a metal coat hanger for Christmas now. lol

London808

« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2018, 09:31:06 PM »
"Mr. Roberts is a bit of a fanatic, he has previously sued HPD about gun registration issues." : Major Richard Robinson 2016

London808

« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2018, 09:32:45 PM »

This could very well be 4D chess. By telling the DOJ to regulate them hes had them essentially change the definition as defined by the law.  They dont have the ability to do that. Only congress does as such the ban will be shot down really quick in court.

punaperson

« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2018, 06:15:36 AM »

I included photos of many of the alternative "multi-burst trigger activators" (string, sticks, pipes, rubber bands, belt loops on pants, etc.) in my testimony to the legislature, as well as clearly stating that any semi-auto weapon can be "bump fired" without the use of any device at all. They ignored that testimony and passed the bill. I've written the same thing, over the course of several exchanges with the Hawaii County Office of Corporation Counsel asking if all these other "items" or "objects" are now illegal "devices" (well, actually, I've wrtten the police chief, but he or the department apparently don't answer such questions so they just send them over to the lawyers). And if they are NOT illegal devices, why not (since they can be used in the exact manner as described in the law to accomplish the same end)? They won't give me a straight answer. It's usually some snark/attempted humor (?) like "I've got a stick like that here in my office holding the window open". Our public servants on our payroll serving us.

I did find out that as of late October: 1. Not one single "multi-burst trigger activator'" had been turned in during the original 30 day "amnesty" period, 2. Not one single one has been turned in since then, and 3. not one single one has been confiscated by law enforcement.

Next month, on the six month anniversary of the law taking effect I will be filing UIPA requests with each county police department for all their "statistics" re how many devices have been turned in or confiscated.

punaperson

« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2018, 06:27:19 AM »
From what I heard on the radio today, the revisions to the verbiage putting bump stocks in the same category (at least by their definition) as machine guns (full auto) has been signed.  That those possessing bump stocks have 90 days from today to get rid of or destroy them.  Is that correct?
My understanding is that it takes effect 90 days from the day it is entered into the Federal Register, which was expected to be Friday. That would be about March 21. Just gonna cost us taxpayers more money as the feds will have to rent voluminous warehouse space to store the tens of millions of bumpstocks that will be voluntarily turned in on that day.

punaperson

« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2018, 07:18:21 AM »
This could very well be 4D chess. By telling the DOJ to regulate them hes had them essentially change the definition as defined by the law.  They dont have the ability to do that. Only congress does as such the ban will be shot down really quick in court.
I think you left out a few other rationalizations...

Also, please note you have several national-level politicians enunciating the "a good first step" line. Like, who couldn't have guessed that?! More to come, soon!
« Last Edit: December 19, 2018, 07:29:00 AM by punaperson »

drck1000

« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2018, 07:42:24 AM »
My understanding is that it takes effect 90 days from the day it is entered into the Federal Register, which was expected to be Friday. That would be about March 21. Just gonna cost us taxpayers more money as the feds will have to rent voluminous warehouse space to store the tens of millions of bumpstocks that will be voluntarily turned in on that day.
Ahh. Entered into fed register. Not that it impacts me, but I was under impression it was effective now. Not that Friday makes much difference.

Will it be challenged? Maybe, but I doubt it. On principle and who regulates I see could be issues, but I see at one of those that many will be indifferent to.

And yeah, they’ll need lots of warehouse space!  :thumbsup: